Callmefish

Center pin question regarding regulations

Rate this topic

34 posts in this topic

Thinking about getting into centerpin fishing for the salmon river in new york.

My question: if your fishing a centerpin with weighted line is that still considered a fly rod?

there are alot of water systems around me that are fly rod only, would a centrrpin satisfy that requirement?

i don’t really know how to ask this question considering I don’t even have a setup yet. 

thanks for the input

Brian

You can use a Pin for trolling / mooching but they have much finer attributes to that we can take advantage from. The main one is float fishing either eggs or worms or flies and even jigs. In a decent flow a good Pin Fisherman can exercise unbelievable  control of the float as it travels down current. If you have river that is treed up on both banks if a shore based Angler it could be the only game in town other than  the evils of spinning. Some of the very best Pins come from England. Think about $500 plus for a free flowing pin.

Typically over here we use a 13 foot float rod or in very heavy flows an 11 foot Avon rod.

Mikey

Posted (edited) · Report post

You need to check the Salmon river regs. That should be easy enough.

If it is a fly only zone then unless you are fly fishing as it is understood conventionally then I think you are on a sticky wicket if you use a pin with either a float fishing a fly or lead and fly.

A std fly reel is still a centre pin but no good for Pin fishing.

I can’t think of any legitimate reason to use a centre pin together with a weighted line in a fly only zone. It would be a waste of a fine instrument. 

lead and fly you can do God forbid with any old reel. But it’s not fishing it’s snagging. It is a million miles away from fly fishing.

If you don’t understand what fly fishing is then you owe it to yourself to buy a book on the subject. Just by having a center pin and some kind of weighed line on it definitely does not qualify as fly fishing. Far far from it.

Mike

Edited by Mike Oliver

51 mins ago, BrianBM said:

Interesting question. I thought centerpins were really a trolling tool. But maybe ... ?

I took a trip to the douglaston salmon run last year for a day and was talking to a centerpin fisherman for quite a while. The setups they use for drift fishing in shallow rivers is pretty mind blowing to be honest. Think of shot for a shotgun, the weighted leaders taper down from the tip of the rod (like buckshot) down to the terminal end (bird shot). The control is pretty amazing to be honest, definitely something I’m thinking about.

2 mins ago, Mike Oliver said:

You need to check the Salmon river regs. That should be easy enough.

If it is a fly only zone then unless you are fly fishing as it is understood conventionally then I think you are on a sticky wicket if you use a pin with either a float fishing a fly or lead and fly.

A std fly reel is still a centre pin but no good for Pin fishing.

I can’t think of any legitimate reason to use a centre pin together with a weighted line. It would be a waste of a fine instrument. 

lead and fly you can do God forbid with any old reel. But it’s not fishing it’s snagging.

If you don’t understand what fly fishing is then you owe it to yourself to buy a book on the subject. Just by having a center pin and some kind of weighed line on it definitely does not qualify as fly fishing. Far far from it.

Mike

Center pins is acceptable for salmon river. The issue comes up with several other water bodys around my area. The reg say fly rod only and thats all the info they give

ZA,

I appreciate that. I laughed until I ached.

All fly reels are Center pins. If you used a center pin  as in a trotting pin and loaded a fly Line  onto it and mounted it on a fly rod and then cast a fly you are fly fishing.

What is had to understand when a water is designated fly only.

So come clean what are your intentions.

mike

Edited by Mike Oliver

Found it finally. Fly setup sounds more universal  around here.

Here the definitions for the coniqiat (spelling?) river on long island. 

Fishing must be alone with conventional fly fishing equipment limited to flies, fly rods, fly reels. and fly line with unweighted leader material attached. Any other type of fishing tackle is prohibited. Artificial flies and streamers are defined as being constructed of natural or synthetic materials, so long as all flies are constructed in a normal fashion on a single barbless hook with components wound on or about the hook. Specifically prohibited are molded facsimiles or replicas of insects, earthworms, fish eggs, fish or any invertebrate or vertebrate either singly or in combination with other materials. Likewise prohibited are other lures commonly described as spinners, spoons, or plugs made of metal, plastic, wood, rubber or like substances or combination thereof. To protect the environment ,no lead weight, split shot or other, lead items may be used.

3 mins ago, Mike Oliver said:

ZA,

I appreciate that. I laughed until I ached.

You and I would be the only ones to get that Mike.

I just looked at Chris Lythe's centre pins. Lordy, I  had no idea they could cost that much.

Pinning has nothing to do with fly fishing. You'll be ticketed in the Fly Zones on the SR, and be booted off the Connetquot. That said, running a pink worm or an egg sack  under a float with a  centerpin is a pretty  effective method  for steelhead.  It takes some practice and technique, find someone to show you or hire a guide. 

Edited by bloosfisher

ZA

In our money £600. In US before our pound went down the toilet $900.

You can get a Young for about £350.

Mine is a Richard Carter cost me £275 ish 15 years ago. The purists only consider it a pin if the spool sits in top of the spindle. Ball race pins don’t count.

But they are better in realty in my opinion.

To fish a real pin properly you have to fish it so the handles are upper most pointing to the sky. Ie reel turned through 90 degrees so spool sits on top of the pin.

If you have never fished a float on a flowing river with a Pin please do it before you die. Even better if you team it with an English 11 foot Avon rod.

Mikey

28 mins ago, Callmefish said:

Center pins is acceptable for salmon river. The issue comes up with several other water bodys around my area. The reg say fly rod only and thats all the info they give

Yes but how do you intend to fish with your center pin. That’s the crux of the question

4 mins ago, Mike Oliver said:

f you have never fished a float on a flowing river with a Pin please do it before you die. Even better if you team it with an English 11 foot Avon rod.

I will.

I've always wanted one for fishing a float off the rocks ISO fishing style. (especially as I cannot afford a lever drag spinning reel)
I'll get a ball-raced one