gray gables

Block Trip?

Rate this topic

19 posts in this topic

Looking to go this summer with my wife and her niece and husband. Not for fishing just to get away for a nice weekend. Any pointers on where to stay, when to go, where to go out to eat? I'd like to go when it's warm, maybe august or september. Thanks for the help, matt. 

It depends on your budget. The 1661 Inn is a nice place to stay for a weekend. 

Block Island Oyster Bar and Grill is decent for dinner. Kimberly is also decent. The Spring House serves nice lunches. It’s a small Island, you can rent a moped and drive around. The commerce building is across from the Ferry, you can stop there and they will fill you with information.

33 mins ago, levari said:

It depends on your budget. The 1661 Inn is a nice place to stay for a weekend. 

Block Island Oyster Bar and Grill is decent for dinner. Kimberly is also decent. The Spring House serves nice lunches. It’s a small Island, you can rent a moped and drive around. The commerce building is across from the Ferry, you can stop there and they will fill you with information.

Is it worth bringing a car over? 

Posted (edited) · Report post

$80 round trip for the car. If you don’t bring a car then parking by the ferry will cost you $10 a day.  It depends... if you stay in town all the restaurants are in walking distance except the oyster bar. You can visit places on the island if you rent a moped and since you are four you can share a taxi ride to places that are not in walking distance like the oyster bar or a specific beach.

Personally if I am with another couple I probably have would not bring a car and rent a moped for few hours each day.

if you have problems walking or if you like hiking then bringing a car would make more sense. You will need transportation to access the hiking trails.

Having a car on the Island is not a problem at all, parking is free and no issues finding parking.

Again, it’s up to you how much freedom you want. If you decide to bring a car make sure to make the reservation as soon as it is open for 2021.

Edited by levari

1 hour ago, levari said:

$80 round trip for the car. If you don’t bring a car then parking by the ferry will cost you $10 a day.  It depends... if you stay in town all the restaurants are in walking distance except the oyster bar. You can visit places on the island if you rent a moped and since you are four you can share a taxi ride to places that are not in walking distance like the oyster bar or a specific beach.

Personally if I am with another couple I probably have would not bring a car and rent a moped for few hours each day.

if you have problems walking or if you like hiking then bringing a car would make more sense. You will need transportation to access the hiking trails.

Having a car on the Island is not a problem at all, parking is free and no issues finding parking.

Again, it’s up to you how much freedom you want. If you decide to bring a car make sure to make the reservation as soon as it is open for 2021.

When do the ferry reservations open? 

Airport diner for breakfast, watch planes come and go..,food not great 

Dead eye dicks for lunch/dinner

Los gatitos for lunch

Eli's for dinner

Atlantic inn for dinner

Kimberly's for dinner

Three sisters for lunch 

The Oar for drinks & sunset... food not good

Edited by m12d78

For non-fishing trips with my wife we usually stayed at the 1661. Yes it's pricey and usually it's a 3 day minimum stay in the summer. But what's also included is the best buffet breakfast on the island and you can order omelets from the cook standing right there. Also, a wine & nibble hour in the afternoon from their covered patio. Great times anytime we went. Town is a very short walk. Also, brought our own bicycles for touring. The Island is 3miles x 7miles.

Staying in town was a madhouse last summer and much more so because of Covid.  My suggestion is to rent somewhere outside town and bring a vehicle if you want solitude.  If you want  non stop partying and constant moped noise then by all means stay in town.

Edited by DZ

12 hours ago, Leifg said:

For non-fishing trips with my wife we usually stayed at the 1661. Yes it's pricey and usually it's a 3 day minimum stay in the summer. But what's also included is the best buffet breakfast on the island and you can order omelets from the cook standing right there. Also, a wine & nibble hour in the afternoon from their covered patio. Great times anytime we went. Town is a very short walk. Also, brought our own bicycles for touring. The Island is 3miles x 7miles.

Island is very bikable, even for someone who doesnt bike much. Have ridden most of it in a single day, admittedly some time ago. 

15 mins ago, bdowning said:

Island is very bikable, even for someone who doesnt bike much. Have ridden most of it in a single day, admittedly some time ago. 

My wife isn’t into biking. 

i haven't been out there in years, a couple i know went with another couple(2or3years ago) and they rented a place away from town and had there own vehicle they said it was great. there in there late 40's early 50's,they like to party just not like 20 somethings. they did say they rented a jeep wrangler type vehicle on the mainland and took that over there. they were able to take the top off and doors i think and tool around the island that way, they loved it.