stripedbassjeff

Help me buy a new pedel kayak.

17 posts in this topic

I'm definitely a hobie fan but not a fan of there prices. In 2019 the hobie compass fit the bill it was light enough to car top, you could stand in it and it was 1800 dollars. Fast forward one year and they put a 360 drive on it and jack the price up 500 dollars. This puts it out of my price range. I would have considered another outback but it is even worse with it's price increases. They cost now what a PA used too on 2010. 

So,I'm thinking the vibe shearwater 125 with the versa pod. It looks like a very inovative kayak. I especially like the removable fish finder pod and the quick Access tackle box storage next to the seat, the stand up rope and seat sight fishing perch. This kayak is only 1300. 1800 with pod drive and hand control.

Other kayaks I was looking at where the lighting kayak strike, 

Perception pescador. I would look at more bicycle pedel styles but feel they might be a danger if flipped. A metal drive bottling me in the head will hurt slot more then plastic flippers.

Old Town PDL series. The Price is right and the Warranty is the best out there. Just look for the Spring sale. Their models are bulky but if you are use to the Outback any of the PDL's will be the same type of hull class in equal length. 

I paid less than 2000 dollars for a Revo 16 last year. Brand new.  Older model but got the same warranty as new. Sometimes you have to drive to New York some times you may have to drive to New Hampshire. For 900 bucks, to me it's worth the drive. 

1 hour ago, The Riddler said:

Old Town PDL series. The Price is right and the Warranty is the best out there. Just look for the Spring sale. Their models are bulky but if you are use to the Outback any of the PDL's will be the same type of hull class in equal length. 

I paid less than 2000 dollars for a Revo 16 last year. Brand new.  Older model but got the same warranty as new. Sometimes you have to drive to New York some times you may have to drive to New Hampshire. For 900 bucks, to me it's worth the drive. 

The PDL is a heavy kayak to put on the roof. 

Just now, Pat_RI said:

The PDL is a heavy kayak to put on the roof. 

No heavier than an Outback or any of these sit on top Pedal Kayaks marketed towards kayak anglers of present day.  We have been for years saying to make it lighter but that's impossible to do when todays kayak anglers want to stand up with a fish and take selfies while doing a moon walk.

A4B3F2AB-C431-4429-96BA-25FFE175D86B.png

4BA55914-EE8D-4F2B-B965-1B389C9D7608.png

I believe the Predator PDL is 115-120lbs. Remove the pedals and it’s still 100lbs. I have one and it’s not the easiest to throw around. I was just pointing out that roof topping pedal kayaks gets to be a pain to do regularly especially after casting for 6 hours. 

The lightest kayak is the riot. It doesn't have a lot of storage and the stability I here isn't the greatest. But 55! The vibe is 77 pounds, pelican hydrive is also 77 pounds, feel free over drive is 88 pounds, native slayer propel is 95 poinds

Screenshot_20210124-133852.jpg

HI Jeff,

It sounds like you should not count out the passport 12. It's a solid option at a great price and they also now have kickup fins. If you really like the compass, you can find a compass demo or leftover, you should be able to get the old drive and price too. If you can't find one of those, work with the dealer and tell them you don't want the 180, I'm sure they be glad to swap the drive out and give you a lower price as people often want to upgrade from GT drives. I don't know why these guys are trying to sell you on heavier more expensive boats with rotary drives you don't want as the compass is 68lbs unrigged and 87 rigged which is less then almost all the ones they pointed to. Additionally the passport is 5 pounds more but fully rigged weighs less because of it's lightweight seat. Best of luck with your decision.

1 hour ago, Pat_RI said:

I believe the Predator PDL is 115-120lbs. Remove the pedals and it’s still 100lbs. I have one and it’s not the easiest to throw around. I was just pointing out that roof topping pedal kayaks gets to be a pain to do regularly especially after casting for 6 hours. 

I agree, roof topping would be great to avoid and still be able to park in limited parking. I can't toss my revo 16 in the back of the Tacoma anymore. I like the 16 speed but sucks to put on the roof all the time. 
I may have to go back and get another Revo 13. 

The PDL Topwater 120 weighs 105 lbs per the website. The PDL Sportsman 120 weighs 85 lbs, again per website. Never operated either boat, but I'm guessing its akin to the Compass vs Outback. I have a Compass and love it. Fairly easy to car top on my Subaru.

Hobie owners can be finicky ... there are a number of posts about new Compass owners not liking the model and getting rid of them after a year or less ... so keep your eyes on FB and CL for used Compass'.

On 1/25/2021 at 0:21 PM, jeffreyrichard said:

The PDL Topwater 120 weighs 105 lbs per the website. The PDL Sportsman 120 weighs 85 lbs, again per website. Never operated either boat, but I'm guessing its akin to the Compass vs Outback. I have a Compass and love it. Fairly easy to car top on my Subaru.

Hobie owners can be finicky ... there are a number of posts about new Compass owners not liking the model and getting rid of them after a year or less ... so keep your eyes on FB and CL for used Compass'.

I have a 2020 sportsman pdl 120. It is the same platform as the 120pdl plus a couple extra convenience items.  85 pounds is the hull weight minus the drive. They worded it a little tricky on their website.  Drive weighs 19 lbs. I wish it was only 85 pounds would make cartopping it easier

On 1/24/2021 at 10:54 AM, stripedbassjeff said:

I'm definitely a hobie fan but not a fan of there prices. In 2019 the hobie compass fit the bill it was light enough to car top, you could stand in it and it was 1800 dollars. Fast forward one year and they put a 360 drive on it and jack the price up 500 dollars. This puts it out of my price range. I would have considered another outback but it is even worse with it's price increases. They cost now what a PA used too on 2010. 

So,I'm thinking the vibe shearwater 125 with the versa pod. It looks like a very inovative kayak. I especially like the removable fish finder pod and the quick Access tackle box storage next to the seat, the stand up rope and seat sight fishing perch. This kayak is only 1300. 1800 with pod drive and hand control.

Other kayaks I was looking at where the lighting kayak strike, 

Perception pescador. I would look at more bicycle pedel styles but feel they might be a danger if flipped. A metal drive bottling me in the head will hurt slot more then plastic flippers.

What’s your intended use for the kayak - small ponds, lakes, rivers, bays, ocean ?

I have a 2020 Hobie outback and fished it lakes, ponds, big rivers, bays and the ocean without any issues at all - super stable, roomy and holds plenty of gear safely.  

I’m only 5’ 7” and by no means muscular and almost a senior citizen and have no issues at car topping my Outback. 

A5FA4299-1A12-4984-92F2-5E31B7844AAA.jpeg

21 hours ago, NewAtIt said:

I’m only 5’ 7” and by no means muscular and almost a senior citizen and have no issues at car topping my Outback. 

I have a completely different opinion ... when I bought my Compass I had an opportunity to buy a pre-owned Outback for less ... it was mint (2015 vs the 2018 Compass I end up buying). I tried car topping the Outback vs the Compass ... night & day. I struggled to put the Outback on my Subaru Outback by myself ... can easily put my Compass on my Subaru by myself. While it is possible it is not easy, and definitely something I did not want to look forward to every outing. I am 6-2, 250, 62 YO and in decent shape. Granted, it is fairly easy if  you have a partner to help. I plan solo operation. That was the deal breaker for me buying the Outback.

15 mins ago, jeffreyrichard said:

I have a completely different opinion ... when I bought my Compass I had an opportunity to buy a pre-owned Outback for less ... it was mint (2015 vs the 2018 Compass I end up buying). I tried car topping the Outback vs the Compass ... night & day. I struggled to put the Outback on my Subaru Outback by myself ... can easily put my Compass on my Subaru by myself. While it is possible it is not easy, and definitely something I did not want to look forward to every outing. I am 6-2, 250, 62 YO and in decent shape. Granted, it is fairly easy if  you have a partner to help. I plan solo operation. That was the deal breaker for me buying the Outback.

90% of the time I kayak solo so I always load and unload by myself. 

I do chest with the pick - I’m able to put the bow of the yak up on the tailgate and the slide it up onto my hard tonneau cover and then right onto the roof racks.  

CAD56DC7-349D-4382-92CC-469368732A2C.jpeg

I had a hobie outback and now have a predator PDL. I car topped both on my Subaru forester. Im only 5.5 and do it with ease. Now im not dead lifting either of them on im. do a few google seaches and you will find different ways to put the kayak up. As far as which kayak is better.... its all personal. I fell into the hobie click and figured they were the best since everyone and youtube celebs were using them. After one season I absolutely hated it. Sold it and got a Predator PDL and couldnt be happier. The predator is a tad heavier than the outback but only by a few pounds without the drive. but for a roomier, sturdier, better layout, and best warranty in the business ill take the few extra pounds 

On 1/28/2021 at 3:50 PM, jeffreyrichard said:

The new outbacks have the bar across the back and come with the plastic load assist. Older outback (pre 2018 i think) did not have the load assist. The load assist was a game changer for me loading yaks on my ladder rack. It is much easier to load my 2019 outback vs my 2014 revo 13.