doublegregg

best ways to take line off spools, then put them back on

Rate this topic

22 posts in this topic

i'm getting another spool for my penn battle ii 2500. i'll be spooling it with 10# braid, 150yds, and will back it with mono, prob 25# (that's what i have a lot of, and it seems easy to spool it). uh, i'm doing this to cast out 1/2 oz bucktails in the surf.... hopefully this is a reasonable idea....

suggestions on how to do this???? so far, i've only spooled up, generally without backing because it wasn't required. so, i can pretty easily spool up, but the unspooling, and then respooling............  ty!

Bait caster to an empty Bait caster mounted on a second rod.....my personnel preference for a spinning reel is winding is it to rotate the spool ....if it just peels of the spool and winds on to a second spool by reeling it..I always feels it twists.....I just take the reel to the local guy and have him load up my spinning reels.....if the reel is old it may be helpful if the vender sees the reel.....

Posted (edited) · Report post

I made a stripper by drilling a hole dead center in a soda bottle cap.  Then inserting a long bolt, a few washers to lock it in and a nut.  

I screw a empty 2L Coke bottle ( I prefer the hourglass shape) to the cap and stick the bolt into my cordless drill. 

Having 2 bottles is best. 

Now I reel the braid on 1st,  when that is on I tied the braid to the mono backing and fill the spool.  

Spool is full but line is backwards.  

Now I tie the mono from the reel the bottle, I try to keep the line in the "waist" of the bottle. The "hips" keep the line from falling off the bottle.  I use the drill to strip the spool. 

Now I tie the braid end from that bottle to the 2nd bottle.  Repeat drill process.  

Now the line is flipped and ready to be spooled. 

U can buy line strippers that attach to drills.  But they're $20 each.  This cap costs me around a buck. And the bottles are a nickle deposit.   

I'm sure a good shop will have no problem setting u up.  I just prefer to do it myself.  

Edited by PSegnatelli

I use an old wide mono spool, 3/8" threaded rod and some nuts.  Chuck into drill and peel it off.  Then I'll do same with another mono spool, to flip the line every season.  Just did this to all my reels end of season.

I've also found for line I'm not reusing, a shop vac works awesome.  Just let it rip.

5 hours ago, Sailah said:

I use an old wide mono spool, 3/8" threaded rod and some nuts.  Chuck into drill and peel it off.  Then I'll do same with another mono spool, to flip the line every season.  Just did this to all my reels end of season.

I've also found for line I'm not reusing, a shop vac works awesome.  Just let it rip.

how many seasons do you do this? do you do this to braid also?

tysm guys................ now i got a plan............................... 

I only do it with braid, not worth saving mono.  I'll get 2 seasons from braid then i change it out.  I have a lot of reels so i dont fish each one more than 20x a season.  I buy spools of 20# braid in 1500 yard qty so I don't end up with waste.

When you spool a spinning reel with new line, you need to lay the new line spool flat and stationary on the correct side and as you reel in. The line will peel off the spool upward. If you don't know which side to lay the line spool on, take a few cranks and check for a twist, and flip it over if you are getting hypercoils. Then mark that side of the spool 'up' for future reference. If you spool a spinning reel with new line by skewering it on a screwdriver, etc., and letting it roll as you wind, it will twist as it loads. Transferring from spinning reel to spinning reel, you should be able to reel directly off of one to the other. If you de-spool first with a drill in between the transfer from reel to reel, then you should be able to reel back off that spool by letting it spin on a skewer since it will retain the twist from the original spinning reel, and then untwist as it loads onto the new reel.

Use a drill if you don’t want to crank the reel til your arm is numb. I put the line thru a book and place the book under a table leg for tension.

Put your braid on with no backing and top the rest off with mono. Pop a empty line spool on a drill and pull the mono off with it, cut when you get to the braid. Use another empty line spool on a drill to take your braid off. Now put the mono on first and top it off with braid. This will give you a perfectly filled spool with no guess work. 

I have done the drill with threaded rod. Last few I just peal it off on the floor. With braid it just piles up. Then once ready tie on the spool and reel it in. Mono works but has some snags.but nothing that can’t be worked out easy.

3 hours ago, stripedbassking said:

I usually just have the wife run one way and I go the other way

sounds perfectly reasonable.....

4 hours ago, stripedbassking said:

I usually just have the wife run one way and I go the other way

Does she come back?

Posted (edited) · Report post

I found the easiest method is to walk it out on an open field and walk it back on. 

Edited by nfnDrum