Favorite color plugs at night?

Rate this topic

Jay_paternostro

2 hours ago, Jay_paternostro said:

I've always done best with big bass on brighter colors at night. My top 3 producers are pink yellow and white. How about you guys? Specifically for bigger stripers. 

Same thing for me, love on black never did well on at all and I've got one that I did specifically I made myself in black and it swims amazing, have thrown it and thrown it and thrown it and had one blue fish come up and take a whack at it I know it was a blue fish because it took a Nick out of it.

At that point the only black plug I have is that one the rest of them got painted or they got traded away.

For me any color at night works,,,,,except solid white,,,had no luck with it for like 5 seasons,then broke that spell on one night solidly.

Not sure if it is back on now.

Have not touched my solid white swimmer since.

HH

Edited by Heavy Hooksetter

An armed man is a citizen,,,an unarmed man is a subject,,,,,,,,

2 hours ago, Jay_paternostro said:

I've always done best with big bass on brighter colors at night. My top 3 producers are pink yellow and white. How about you guys? Specifically for bigger stripers. 

Even Locked Drag proved it.

Blurple works for him and then bone,,,,

So,it doesn't matter what color it is.

It's the waggle that draws Hits.

HH

Over the years so many colors have been hot at night either for a couple tides or for a season only to find the same colors were duds down the road at some point. Very hard to get away from carrying a good cross section of basic colors. If colors confuse you, I do think an olive colored back, silvery sides and white belly is a good standard pattern that works well in a variety of low light conditions. This plug pattern along with solid black and chicken scratch would be my tip three picks after dark. 

3 mins ago, redfin said:

Over the years so many colors have been hot at night either for a couple tides or for a season only to find the same colors were duds down the road at some point. Very hard to get away from carrying a good cross section of basic colors. If colors confuse you, I do think an olive colored back, silvery sides and white belly is a good standard pattern that works well in a variety of low light conditions. This plug pattern along with solid black and chicken scratch would be my tip three picks after dark. 

Chicken scratch has really grown on me. I don’t what it is that fish love about it but it just flat out slays. Throw yellow. Nada. Throw chicken scratch. Bent rod

7 hours ago, LockedDrag said:

Just from my short experience, I would say the most important thing to consistently have a chance on any given night is the size of the plug though. Bigger presentations (particularly metal lips) don’t get you a lot of hits. One or two hits a night if you are lucky but they are always quality fish. 

There have been many a night I'm out on the water top of the ebb tide and slinging wood not small wood mind you large stuff.

Have the two and a half hours with no touches and be anything up till tonight is going to be a blank night and then near the end I get that tell tail heavy thump on the plug, I swing and connect and the pool stick I'm fishing with you develops a deep bend in it nearly coming out of my hand in the heavy current

I get it to my feet and it's a very nice fish, it may only be one but I was a good one and it was better than what I saw other guys around me landing perhaps four times better.

That's the difference.

HH

7 hours ago, LockedDrag said:

Chicken scratch has really grown on me. I don’t what it is that fish love about it but it just flat out slays. Throw yellow. Nada. Throw chicken scratch. Bent rod

I love chicken scratch it has been a staple in my bag for a long time.

I don't own any large plugs in chicken scratch just bombers but, yellow and white are definitely top ones.

One of my favorites for deep swimmers is a Creek chub giant pikie in Rudolph color.

I always have one in my bag.

They are money in the Bank when fishing deep Waters.

Simply crawl them along against the tide,,,,, your arms better be ready!

HH