pemidog

slot limit hypothetical

Rate this topic

14 posts in this topic

slot limit says a keeper is 28 to 35 inches.  what happens if someone catches a striper over 35 inches that can't be revived and released?  

do you throw the dead fish back in the water? keep it and eat it?  

39 mins ago, PSegnatelli said:

But don't overthink it.  Nothing goes to waste in the sea. 

Does not mean the resource is not adversely impacted.

11 hours ago, Gotcow? said:

Does not mean the resource is not adversely impacted.

True.  And even though I typically release all my fish successfully, that fact has resulted in the slot taking a lot of the joy out of  bass fishing for me.  Did less of it last season just because I didn't feel like just chasing rats, but didn't want to risk killing and dumping a larger fish, particularly given the state of the stock.

On 1/23/2021 at 5:08 PM, pemidog said:

slot limit says a keeper is 28 to 35 inches. 

Just remember that a 35" fish IS NOT LEGAL, the fish must be < 35".  

On 1/24/2021 at 5:25 PM, Roccus7 said:

Just remember that a 35" fish IS NOT LEGAL, the fish must be < 35".  

True.

The regs are so poorly written that lots of people don't realize a 35" is not legal. They could have just said "less than 28 inches or greater than 34 inches," but no, they have to be idiots and write 35. "Greater than or equal to".....dumber than rocks......

Striped Bass: No person shall possess any striped bass less than 28 inches or greater than or equal to 35 inches measured from the tip of the snout to the end of the tail. Any striped bass less than 28” or greater than or equal to 35” shall, without avoidable injury, be returned immediately to the water from which taken.
Daily creel limit: 1 fish per angler
Open Season: Open Year Round

On 1/23/2021 at 7:48 PM, PSegnatelli said:

But don't overthink it.  Nothing goes to waste in the sea. 

I get what you are saying, and you are correct that nothing goes to waste in the sea.  But I disagree with "don't overthink it", it doesn't take a lot of effort to fish responsibly.  Fish, respect the resource, be a sportsman. 

Slot limits, circle hooks... I am fine with it all but I think the biggest "accidental" killer of fish is picture taking for social media.     

15 mins ago, thebigangrybear said:

I get what you are saying, and you are correct that nothing goes to waste in the sea.  But I disagree with "don't overthink it", it doesn't take a lot of effort to fish responsibly.  Fish, respect the resource, be a sportsman. 

Slot limits, circle hooks... I am fine with it all but I think the biggest "accidental" killer of fish is picture taking for social media.     

Annnddd your overthinking.  

I'm not saying be a careless slob. But if u happen to mortally wound a fish, it's not the end of the world. 

Does it suck? Yes. Do we like it? No.  

We do the best we can do.  

Just saying, because somebody out there may not have thought about this yet: if there's a chance you might take a picture you should have a plan on how you'll do it fast BEFORE you hook into the fish.

Just like, if you're fishing, you SHOULD have a plan on how you'll release any fish you catch, you should have a picture-taking plan, too. I know most people in this thread have caught 1000's of fish, and it doesn't take long to release them because we're experienced, and it's just another fish.

Pemidog is asking the same question everybody that fishes and eats striped bass has, at one point asked.