Kings over Queens

Rowing machines

Rate this topic

121 posts in this topic

Anyone have thoughts on rowing machines?  We're going to replace our well used, worn out 12 year old elliptical machine with a new piece of equipment that we can both use.  At 53 our knees are shot and rowing seems to be a good overall workout option that isn't hard on the joints.

The Nortictrack RW900 has been highly rated in several searches, yet, they have less expensive machines with smaller monitors but essentially the same functions and features.  

Thoughts?

1 min ago, MitchellNJ said:

Exercising in the cold is supposed to be good for you. An Internet ad tells me that all the time.

Not if its so cold that it prevents you from going out to exercise. :laugh:

I’m a Concept2 guy.  I’ve got a Model D that I use about 4x per week.  They are the machines that you’ll find in most gyms.  That alone speaks volumes about their quality.  I’ve had mine for a little over a dozen years and I can tell you that it’s bombproof.  It’s gotten a ton of use over the years and still looks like it’s brand new.

1 min ago, mybeach said:

Get one with upright handles so the clothes you store on it won’t touch the floor.

I said that about the eliptical when we bought it.  the damn thing is worn out.

Now a ski machine, yeah, that wouldn't get used.  I think we'll use a rower. 

1 min ago, Kings over Queens said:

One of the online searches picked the concept 2.  Thanks for the feedback. :th:

The newer models have wifi enabled performance monitors that allow you to automatically sync your workouts online.  Mine is an older model so I log them in manually.  The interactive C2 Online Logbook for me is a huge motivational tool so that I can track my progress and improvement over the course of a season.  

26 mins ago, Ravioli said:

I thought elliptical machines were supposed to be a non stressful option for your knees.

Just got rid of ours because it was killing out knees, less knee pain after using the treadmill, just sticking with that

42 mins ago, Kings over Queens said:

Anyone have thoughts on rowing machines?  We're going to replace our well used, worn out 12 year old elliptical machine with a new piece of equipment that we can both use.  At 53 our knees are shot and rowing seems to be a good overall workout option that isn't hard on the joints.

The Nortictrack RW900 has been highly rated in several searches, yet, they have less expensive machines with smaller monitors but essentially the same functions and features.  

Thoughts?

It will kick your but. It is boring as F.

My .02.

45 mins ago, Kings over Queens said:

Thoughts?

Never used them, but concept 2. Used in lots of gyms and training facilities. No frills, might pick one up mysellf

properly used, its mostly leg drive and you’re going through a greater range of motion than with the eliptical