Sign in to follow this  
Followers 0
Togatown

Plain ball jig heads/ fin-s fish

Rate this topic

14 posts in this topic

Tims -

Are you still strugglin' to restock on the plain ball jig heads? I love those things since I fell in love with the Fin-S about a year and a half ago. Yours were very good quality, something I have had trouble finding in jig heads.

Also, I remember a post/ thread where you described how you clip the nose off of them, and add a dab of Zap-a-Gap before you rig 'em. I can't find it now even with searches - any tricks to that or is it pretty simple. Seems to me they might sit a little better with that. Thanks for the help and any other "tricks" about the Fin-S from you experts would be greatly appreciated.

------------------

Togatown

zap-a gap defintely helps to make the fins last longer on the hook and if it rips a little then a dab'll do, i hope he gets some ball jigs soon too cause i am runnin low...teh only other advice i can think of is there is no law written that says fins HAVE to be put on a ball jig...smile.gif experiment with different head styles for a different effect

I like the ball heads better than the flatter shad type because if the rubba twists on the shad heads, it doesn't swim the right way - less of a problem with the round. My $0.02

WayneTJ -

I agree with ya - I am partial to the ball heads too for that reason. what do you guys favor for size? I have found good use for 4" as a teaser, 5 3/4" is my favorite, although 7" are great for some applications too. Any luck with bubblegum color for our striped friends? I have done well with alewife and similar patterns, just got some b-gum, can't wait to try 'em!

Im partial to the ball heads

when the weakies are in slow motion

in early spring. 1/8 ounce stout hooks let her sink slow to the bottom and work bottom with short hops.

I love the triangle heads when the weakies become a bit more active. A quick downward twitch of the rod tip no more than a inch or two sends the finness on her side like a dying bait. This kills weakfish when nothing else is hooking them. Its the downward twitch followed by that oh so subtle weakfish take that i so dearly love.

Jason

Rubba preferences:

white or luminescent (glow in the dark) - Spring, daytime, clear water

red - sunrise, sunset any type of water

pink - anytime you're targeting weakfish, or if shrimp and squid are the meal ticket

chartreuse - any water at night, or dirty or foamy water during the day.

dark back/light belly (ie alewife) - summer and fall - anytime except dirty water

9" Suggo's all year, 4-6" minnows and Sluggo's up until mid August. Larger shad bodies from mid August till the fat lady sings.

These are my first choices. However, the predominant factor for profile is to match the bait. Color is to make your offering stand out.

I'm partial to the triangular heads myself, although the hooks on some brands are not the greatest. The pink bubblegum ice is good for all species, bass, weaks, and fluke. I like the 4" size on 3/8 oz. jigs and the 5 3/4" on 1/2 oz. jigs.

I have used the triangular heads with success for stripers....I am partial to white 6" shads...I use them almost exclusively and have found no need to change....however if I am fishing at night black rubba works well.....

Thanks guys.

Does the Fin-S come in a chartruse??

Also, are the Kalin's jig heads any good? My brother recommended them to me, any thoughts?

Does the Fin-S come in a chartruse??

Does the pope wear a pointy hat ???

Chartruse ice is nice??

I like the kalin's heads better for shads. But they do work well with fin-s. I like ball jigs for fin-s.

Got head?

http://www.swimbait.com/supershad.htm

These things are scary sharp and very well made. Big ones are made for fishing tuna on the slide (WC technique where you drop back into a school after hooking up on the troll) so the hooks are robust. Even though they list the big heads as coming, I know they have sold the 2.5oz for 2 years.....

Doesn't this look like a big weakie. Same croaker family. Also related to tortuva (sp?), a 300# weakie (almost extinct).

http://www.swimbait.com/gallery/port_14.htm

[This message has been edited by Triet (edited 02-21-2002).]

Also, are the Kalin's jig heads any good? My brother recommended them to me, any thoughts?

I have a friend who uses nothin' but the Kalins ... good strong 5/0 black nickel hooks, available in 1/4 to 1 1/2 oz.

For me the FinS has worked well on weaks blues and stripers in Alewife (the go-to color) Bubble-gum Ice, Rainbow Trout, and Black Shiner.