John D

Black hole challenger rods re fluke

Rate this topic

19 posts in this topic

Been awhile since I have posted here. Hope all are well. Looking into the black hole challenger conventional rods for fluke. All of my fishing is on charter boats. Thinking of definitely getting the 701L as I know Kil loves them even for deeper water. Would be out of NJ for June-Aug fishing buck tails, as well as June inshore sea bass, with an accurate twin drag 300 valiant. I am assuming this rod can handle bucktails up 6oz?

Where I am torn is getting the 731M or MH as the second rod for deepwater fluke and could also serve as a tog rod and nov/dec deepwater sea bass rod?  

any and all thoughts welcome. 

thanks,

John D.

Posted (edited) · Report post

The Black Hole Challenger Bank 701L rod is my favorite rod for fluking even in Nantucket though some prefer 7'3" Challenger Bank 731M for deep water fluking.

I used the 701L rod almost exclusively for togging last fall for experimentation  The 701L rods become favorite rods for tog jigging fishermen. The 701L rod is a good choice for togging unless you set the hook excessively or try to lift big tog. 

Meanwhile, I recommend 7'3" Black Hole  Challenger Bank 731M or 7'6" Black Hole Challenger Bank 761MH for big tog, deep water seabass, big striped bass or cod fishing. 

Here is doormat using 7' Black Hole Challenger Bank 701 L rods.

cb701l.jpg

chL14.9lb.jpg

Edited by ksong

Thanks Kil.  It sounds like the MH would be overkill for my intended uses and the M would be good for tog and deep water fluke and seabass off NJ. Thx

7 mins ago, John D said:

Thanks Kil.  It sounds like the MH would be overkill for my intended uses and the M would be good for tog and deep water fluke and seabass off NJ. Thx

yes.

Here are picture what I caught with 7'6" Challenger Bank 761MH.

cbmh2.jpg

cbmh4.jpg

cbmh7.jpg

Edited by ksong

10 hours ago, ksong said:

14.3 lb doormat using 7'3' Challenger Bank 731 M rod

cbM14.3lb.jpg

Beautiful fish. I have the 731 M and it’s a very versatile rod. I bet the 701m would work here in NJ also. But listen to the guys on here with the jumbo’s. See if you could get your hands on the rods side by side.

Edited by Steve_M

Kil and others,

thanks. I noticed the 701L comes with two different size foregrips and was wondering why?  It’s hard to know which to order for NJ charter fluking without seeing pics as can’t get to a store and see for myself. 

thanks. 

On 1/24/2021 at 8:48 PM, ksong said:

nice halibut using 7'6" Challenger Bank 761MH while fishing cod.

cbmh6.jpg

Dude has a honey fiberglass rod next to him. Are you sure this was caught in a black hole rod?

18 mins ago, ged said:

Dude has a honey fiberglass rod next to him. Are you sure this was caught in a black hole rod?

yes. Capt sent the picture saying the fish was caught with Black Hole rod.

Do you need Capt's contacting info ?

Halibut is not great fighter. 

Here is a video of landing 140 lb halibut using light 6'8" Black Hole Charter Special Slow Pitch Jigging rod. The rod is good for fluking.

I have not fished a conventional 701. I have a spinning 701 I built and built another one for a friend. A 6 ounce sinker would be heavy on that rod. I find 2-3 ounce jigs to be the sweet spot. 4 oz is the most I've put on and that's starting to push it. Since it's fluke 6 ounce is okay but it's not ideal for that rod. 2-3 ounce jigs is where the 701 shines 

9.5 lb fluke in Jersey last summer on my 701. 

8249.5lbs.jpg

Kil,

I asked a specific question re the 701L foregrip 4 posts above and need some feedback as I am looking to purchase the 701L from you as well as the 731M. 

I know you may have been distracted as that was an off-topic rude reply re the honey glass but am requesting your advice on the 701L foregrip.  I purchased previous black hole rods from you re tuna awhile back and your advice did not steer me wrong. 

Let me know and will order as soon as I hear back. 

thanks

John D

38 mins ago, John D said:

Kil,

I asked a specific question re the 701L foregrip 4 posts above and need some feedback as I am looking to purchase the 701L from you as well as the 731M. 

I know you may have been distracted as that was an off-topic rude reply re the honey glass but am requesting your advice on the 701L foregrip.  I purchased previous black hole rods from you re tuna awhile back and your advice did not steer me wrong. 

Let me know and will order as soon as I hear back. 

thanks

John D

Sorry I missed the thread. :)

Originally they were all short grips.  It is much easier to fish one hand with short grips. But some asked longer grips as they want to put the rods under the arm to fish deep water. So we developed longer grips. It is your choice. I think short grip is lighter.