oceanAddict

Talk me out off "Screw the yak, I want to buy a boat " thoughts

38 posts in this topic

Posted (edited) · Report post

All right, after of few years of not frequent kayak fishing I cannot take this though out of my mind. First year was fun and I managed to get out a lot, next year  was crazy between work and the buying house/selling/moving. Then covid came and screwed 2020. Here I'm, debating if I should go back to yak, prepare for the season and enjoy what I already have (and I should I admit  I'm pretty much all set, don't need to buy much  if I'm in yak world). Or should I move to the boat game. I want to be able grab a fam and get on a water. We live literally off the beach and I'm passing mooring every time I leave the house. I feel I would be able to fish more and cover more ground an once. I also want to get my kid into it while he is still young. I didn't do good job with older one and it makes me kinda sad. So I'm hoping to get my family more into all things outdoor, even if it just sunset trip.  

On another hand  - yak is already here and I don't need to worry about storage, winter or summer. Financially , it's not comparable too. I probably more mobile with yak as I can transport it al launch on my own. etc. 

Not to mention that last year self-solation on the boat made almost impossible to buy decent boat without selling kidney first. So this year will be the same.   

I know some of you have both kayak and boat. Some probably thought about it too. Curious to hear from fellow yakers why they still yaking, are you wanna be boaters, yeah or nah and why.

Thanks

Edited by oceanAddict

I would do both. That's what I do. It all depends on where you fish. Then you have Striped Bass population becoming less and more concentrated.  It helps having range to look if needed.

I cannot beat getting shallow and being surrounded by floaters. A group of 40lb class bass all huddled together makes a tremendous splash when spooked in the yak. Even a group of bass scattering at night going through the iridescent , looking like the Matrix Worm Hole in the middle of a new moon night is always special. I can achieve more greatness in the yak as far as Bass know is concerned....Hunting down a pod of up and down Albies is also a blast in the yak...and then having the boat to Cover water from Westport MA to As far West as Fishers Island looking for Albacore cannot be matched by a yak.  

Kayaks save time. If I know there is a high percentage of bass off a quick launching area?  I go out. Bang em out and out of there in less than 90 minutes. That is a tall order with a boat. I trailer so it's at least 40 minutes of going back and forth from the house to my nearest spot and then you have drive time and fish time. 

Edited by The Riddler

What he said if you can afford it oceanAddict.

There's a lot of wisdom and experience in Riddler's answer.

I used to have a boat... then it became too expensive as it got older so I switched over to a yak the last ten years or so.  I love My outback.    However I’m starting to get the itch for a boat again.  Just for the sake of covering more ground.  It has become more Important than it was in the past with the fishery in decline.   Right now I have two very young kids so I’ll stick with the yak for now.  Not as much time or money for fishing as I’d like.  But I plan on going back to a boat in the future and keep My hobie for certain situations.

If you want the boat, get the boat. 

I had one for 20 years and enjoyed the entire experience.  Sold my last boat in 2013 with plans to buy another... time went by and I decided that I was happy with what I was getting from the kayak... so, the boat purchase never happened.

Wants, needs and interest levels can change over time.  Do what makes you happy now.  Boats can always be resold when you are done with them.  

Get the boat, you'll probably regret either but at least the boat can accommodate more than 1  person at a time and has creature comforts you'll be seeking. And then if you need, you can always buy a yak. Enjoy.

I had a hobie for a few years and found myself using it less and less each year because of young kids and work.  It’s easier for me to grab a surf rod and go at this point vs. loading, unloading, and cleaning a kayak.  I also don’t live by the shore so there’s a commute as well.  However, it sounds like your situation is a bit different and you live close to the water which is a great selling point.  If you can afford it I would suggest buying a boat and keeping the kayak as well.  That way you can diversify your fishing and create opportunities to experience with your family as well.  My oldest is 5 and we’ve been fishing a handful of times but he’s not “obsessed” yet... hoping that changes but I’m not going to force it.  Maybe the boat will allow your kids more opportunity to enjoy it.  Good luck either way.  

I'd go with both. I've got a small skiff and my yaks. I use the skiff when I know I need to cover water and the rest of the time, I use the yak. I've had a boat with good range for almost my entire fishing life and ended up using my kayak a lot more but I don't have kids so obviously your mileage will vary.

Never had a fishing boat, so my answer has to be qualified, but I did fish with my son a fair bit. Putting aside the cost difference, I guess a lot depends on where you are and how old the kid is, but small boys are squirrelly and being trapped on a boat when the fish aren't biting is hard. We'd often go to an inside beach and he'd wander, dig crabs and clams, catch snails and hermies, and generally entertain himself if the fish weren't biting. A kid doesn't beat the water for hours without some excitement, and soaking bait the same. Snapper fishing was usually the best, but that's a smallish season. Porgies are a great target with kids, lots of action.

We also had a 15' Grumman canoe, and that could be awesome in the right calm conditions. We could fluke small bodies of water, chase the snappers, go to fresh lakes for sunnies, etc. But you're basically paddling solo until the kid is big enough to matter. I eventually got him his own kayak, and we had some good trips, but he likes the mountains more- you never get to the mountain and find the climbing cliff isn't there! But this past year in Covidland as a college senior with fewer rec options he's fished quite a bit on his own, from SMB in VT to trout in AK, so the tools are there. I didn't fish much in my 20's either, and he already knows way more than I did.

Mission accomplished

5c8ab01832402_ADAMKAYAKBLUEtweaked.PNG.d7a93fbd92256fa3d3d9bbc55bc67808.PNG

• I’m fighting this decision. Right now either upgrade the kayak or buy a boat shoulder injury may make the decision for me still haven’t tried anything with foot pedals yet hate Myself just enough to keep paddling but if I could do them both I probably will 
Edited by Oilburnerz

Thank you for all replies.

Just wanted to add some info. I have a pedal kayak, it's on heavy side and I trailer it. We live near Boston harbor, so 99 % of water time is there, not lakes etc - so no canoe  for me (it was fun when we used to live near lake though). Same as MagDarter sometimes I just grab the surf rod and go to the beach  instead of packing the kayak (and then someone is goes by in kayak while I'm standing on the rocks I'm mentally cursing myself). Kiddo just turned 6 so I'm far away from putting him in separate craft.  

Personally, I probably gonna try to spend this upcoming season utilizing yak  as much as possible and make a decision after.

Edited by oceanAddict

1 hour ago, buddha162 said:

Spend a season in a pedal yak, then reassess. 

Good advice, I would say most are convinced after 100 ft. lol. The pedals are seductive, but I love paddling too.
   Oilburnerz, if you go the paddle route, consider a lightweight, efficient SOT. A yak that is easy to move on land and through the water is always fun, and never a chore to paddle.

You have to ask yourself which one will you get more use from?  IMO there's nothing sadder than a boat that magically appears on its mooring/dock in the spring and then disappears in the fall without ever seeing it off the mooring/dock all season.

I have a kayak sitting on the float off my dock, next to my boat 100 yds, from my backdoor.  I usually take the boat to fish because all the gear is there, no need to load/unload, and use the kayak to "beach comb" along the shoreline or check out future fishing spots at low tide during a leisurely paddle. 

It's just how my preferences evolved around having booth craft.  I much rather share the cockpit of the boat with a frisky striper thrashing around with a plug in its mouth rather than having it sitting on my lap in a kayak, while the peace and serenity of a good boat ride is much nicer without the whirring of an outboard...