Paul E

Tough pants

15 posts in this topic

I searched in this forum but gave up.  Does anyone have suggestions for tough brush-busting fishing pants?  There's a small river near my house I want to start fishing.  It must be the only stretch of water in the US that doesn't have some sort of path on either side.  That's not a problem - but, I'd need pants that can get me through the frequent briars, raspberries, roses and the occasional locust.  I scouted today wearing a heavy leather coat and thick wool pants.  Those won't due for fishing.

I am hesitant to buy the nylon faced brush pants mostly because they are so load.  Still, they may be the best choice.  I don't expect to wade - if I do, that's a different trip.

Any suggestions?  Anyone fishing these conditions?  Thx.

filson double tins are nearly indestructible, but about $200 a pair last time I checked.  any 12-14oz canvas pant will be pretty impenetrable to briars, and most brands (duluth, carharrt, dickies, wall) have double front versions.  all of those are pretty baggy "tradesman" cuts though, so if you are slimmer check out Arborwear.  they have the same heavy canvas and cotton duck stuff as the above brands but in a much more fitted profile and gussetted to allow good freedom of movement.  and the thickest, heaviest hoodies on the planet.

3 hours ago, fishing addict said:

I’m a farmer and find the Duluth firehouse pants are pretty tough 

Agreed. I wear them for brush busting fishing trips all the time as well as landscaping work.

Original firehose pants. Don’t confuse them with the firehose flex though, they’re lighter duty.

I would agree on the Filsons.  I have hunted pheasant from here, on the Isle of Long, to South Dakota.  I have found brush pants acceptable unless you have to move sideways or backup.  Then you are in for blood.  In heavy stuff, I wear Browning oilcloth chaps which can be worn over a variety of non-protective pants.  Protective and waterproof. If you plan to fall in, well, that's another matter.  My 2c  FR

On 1/23/2021 at 2:51 PM, Paul E said:

I searched in this forum but gave up.  Does anyone have suggestions for tough brush-busting fishing pants?  There's a small river near my house I want to start fishing.  It must be the only stretch of water in the US that doesn't have some sort of path on either side.  That's not a problem - but, I'd need pants that can get me through the frequent briars, raspberries, roses and the occasional locust.  I scouted today wearing a heavy leather coat and thick wool pants.  Those won't due for fishing.

I am hesitant to buy the nylon faced brush pants mostly because they are so load.  Still, they may be the best choice.  I don't expect to wade - if I do, that's a different trip.

Any suggestions?  Anyone fishing these conditions?  Thx.

Maybe check an army navy type store for something  tough. Price usually pretty good as well.

Thanks for all the suggestions!

I grew up rabbit hunting and am familiar with many of the recommendations. I think it’s safe to say “brush pants” of some sort - but no “fishing pants” that are equally tough. I know it’s just semantics but it thought there might be. 

24 mins ago, Paul E said:

Thanks for all the suggestions!

I grew up rabbit hunting and am familiar with many of the recommendations. I think it’s safe to say “brush pants” of some sort - but no “fishing pants” that are equally tough. I know it’s just semantics but it thought there might be. 

Hey Paul you made me dig into the closet cuz I couldn't remember the name . But I can't say enough for this brand . My son as an early Christmas gift bought me these in the chaps version for upland hunting . They're water proof semi custom fit. I ordered 2 inches short of inseam and closest thigh size they made was only a half inch larger , Point is they fit great didn't get soaked busting brush and marshes pushing Pheasants around , Oh they were very reasonably priced like only $45.00 give or take a little, My son opted for their waterproof bibs . Cant recall the price of those but were very reasonable compared to other bib types , Excuse the upside down on the logo tried to flip but couldn't save but it's clear enough to be useable . Btw the bibs my kid got were very heavy duty and more than likely not really suitable for warmer weather fishing . I'm thinking of using the chaps for when I'm prospecting thin blue lines they're that comfortable .

P1250001.JPG

P1250002.JPG

I'll second the Filson double tin - they will bust through anything I've ever encountered.  That said, I normally wear my single tin chaps and find they are enough for most briers and not as heavy.  OH