Angler #1

New exit numbers

Rate this topic

37 posts in this topic

going down cape today . We once had each exit numerically from the bridge beginning with 1 . Now the numbers are all over the place with no order I can see. its like some one was on funny stuff when the made up the new number system . You have odd numbers for awhile and then even . then back to odd.  it would have made more sense to have all of the even numbers on one side and the odd on the other side. It sure is going to be difficult when visitors start to come down for sure Peace and Prayers

The new exits are based on the highway mile markers. 

I heard someone “fixed” the Orleans exit. They spray painted over “old” where it says exit 12 under the new signs. :laugh:

I believe the new numbers are based on the mileage where the exit is on the highway. 

The Massachusetts Department of Transportation (MassDOT) is converting all exit numbers on freeways to a milepost-based numbering system, per Federal Highway Administration (FHWA) requirement. Currently, interstates and freeways in Massachusetts utilize a sequential exit numbering method.

Many, and perhaps most, states have been using mileage based exit numbers for a while. It was inevitable. 

1 min ago, bdowning said:

Many, and perhaps most, states have been using mileage based exit numbers for a while. It was inevitable. 

That may have been the case, but could they not have at least keep all the even numbers on one side and the odd numbers on the other side Peace and Prayers

They did this in RI years ago.  It makes sense seeing how they're based on mileage not sequential order, however I still refer to exits by their old number which screws people up when you give them directions. 

53 mins ago, Angler #1 said:

That may have been the case, but could they not have at least keep all the even numbers on one side and the odd numbers on the other side Peace and Prayers

How would you do that if the exits are based on mileage?

Last week my wife and I took a ride to the cape to check up on our house and we noticed the new exit numbers. I have to agree after travelling cross country earlier this year the new exit numbering system is more logical, but after travelling to the cape for more than 50 years it is somewhat of an adjustment that we will have to deal with.

2 hours ago, Angler #1 said:

but could they not have at least keep all the even numbers on one side and the odd numbers on the other side

I'm getting the sense that you're pulling our legs.

First, we are to believe you didn't notice that the exits matched the mile markers?...

and now you're suggesting that the same exit, at the same location, be numbered differently, depending on which direction one's traveling?

That's a good one :howdy:

I think we denied so federal funding if we didn’t fall in line with the other states. Agree it is strange like mentioned on theCape exits not even sequential.  I need to update my Garmin GPS but not sure when they will make the changes to the base map. Remember the good old days like 2020 when exit 8 was exit 8?

2 hours ago, whaler1889 said:

the new exit numbering system is more logical, ....... an adjustment that we will have to .....

Embrace :)

simple numerical exit numbering is static, doesn't work, leaves no room for additional exits,

The bemoaning of an update to an antiquated, dysfunctional system which has already been put in place?.. This makes sense?..:lost:
Plus mileage based exit numbers, with a bit of addition or subtraction, provide the driver with the info to answer the squirts in the backseat when they ask... "When are we gonna be there??" :naughty:

11 mins ago, Shhh....Now said:

Embrace :)

simple numerical exit numbering is static, doesn't work, leaves no room for additional exits,

The bemoaning of an update to an antiquated, dysfunctional system which has already been put in place?.. This makes sense?..:lost:
Plus mileage based exit numbers, with a bit of addition or subtraction, provide the driver with the info to answer the squirts in the backseat when they ask... "When are we gonna be there??" :naughty:

Down in SC, we've been following mile markers as long as I can remember anyway.  I don't recall it ever changing.  Odd because we're not exactly known to be early adopters of new things here so maybe we just got it right from the beginning.:)

I've been through a state somewhere that used the sequential system and you hit the two benefits.... though I've seen more than one occurrence of exits A-D all in the same mile marker.

15 mins ago, Shhh....Now said:

This resembles every discussion I have had with someone about adopting the metric system.  

12 hours ago, Shhh....Now said:

I'm getting the sense that you're pulling our legs.

First, we are to believe you didn't notice that the exits matched the mile markers?...

and now you're suggesting that the same exit, at the same location, be numbered differently, depending on which direction one's traveling?

That's a good one :howdy:

What I am saying is keep the mile markers even on one side and odd on the other . One could suppose that may not be able to be done Peace and prayers