Lowcountry Yaker

St. Croix Avid 10’ M opinions?

Rate this topic

7 posts in this topic

Posted (edited) · Report post

Have a bunch of St. Croix inshore rods and like them. The Avid series is my favorite of them, but I haven’t tried any of their surf rods yet. 

Looking for input from anyone who owns or has used this model. Likes and dislikes? Would you buy it again?

Edited by Lowcountry Yaker
Incorrect info

Avid surfs are very fast action. If you like fast action blanks they are great. A lot of sore shoulders prefer more moderate action, and that is fine too. I jig with the 9'6" in spots where there is limited space behind me. Works good for me. :th: 

I found the 10'M to be pretty powerful for its rating with a rather stiff tip. Made it take more effort to cast the lower end of its rating. Nice for slinging out metals, and personally I preferred it for working topwater, but most prefer a slower action rod. Everyone mentions the fast action but when I think of a very fast action I think of freshwater rods with a really light tip that truly are extra fast actions - that's not what this is. Here's a pic of a cast with the 10'M (old red version but I'm pretty sure they're the same blank). I prefer the 11'MH. More of a 1-5 rod than a 3-8. Has a lighter tip so it can cast SP minnows, but bends deeper into the blank to be able to cast bigger metal lips. Too much rod though if you're just casting 1-3oz plugs on a beach, so depends on your use. If you prefer a more moderate, forgiving rod you want a mojo or a legend.

Screen Shot 2021-01-23 at 5.03.25 PM.png

30 mins ago, Salty Veins said:

I found the 10'M to be pretty powerful for its rating with a rather stiff tip. Made it take more effort to cast the lower end of its rating. Nice for slinging out metals, and personally I preferred it for working topwater, but most prefer a slower action rod. Everyone mentions the fast action but when I think of a very fast action I think of freshwater rods with a really light tip that truly are extra fast actions - that's not what this is. Here's a pic of a cast with the 10'M (old red version but I'm pretty sure they're the same blank). I prefer the 11'MH. More of a 1-5 rod than a 3-8. Has a lighter tip so it can cast SP minnows, but bends deeper into the blank to be able to cast bigger metal lips. Too much rod though if you're just casting 1-3oz plugs on a beach, so depends on your use. If you prefer a more moderate, forgiving rod you want a mojo or a legend.

Screen Shot 2021-01-23 at 5.03.25 PM.png

Thanks for this, exactly what I was looking for. So you think the Legend is more forgiving than the Avid? I have both in the Inshore and would say it’s the other way round there. 

I also think S Croix tend to be over-powered for their ratings, so I usually go one step down. That’s why I was looking at the 10’ M rather than the 11’ MH. 

I casted more than 4oz on the Avid 10' M 1-4 fast but I wouldn't recommend it. The Legend 10'6" M 3/4-4 moderate is definitely more forgiving, 4oz is a bit too much for it though. I think the similar mojo is the same way. To me the M Avid has more power than the M Legend. The Legend and Avid are different blank materials but I don't think that's why the actions are different (some SCIII rods are more moderate, some SCIV rods are stiff and fast), not sure why St Croix makes them that way. Probably just to give people different choices in actions at different price points.