Sign in to follow this  
Followers 0
MakoMike

I need your help

Rate this topic

14 posts in this topic

I need your help.

I have been nominated for a seat on the New England Fishery management Council and I need your support. As you know the NEFMC is dominated by commercial fishing interests and I hope that you all would like to see a recreational fisherman appointed to the council. You can write Gov Ned Lamont and ask him to forward my application as the preferred candidate by filling out the form here; https://portal.ct.gov/Office-of-the-Governor/Contact/Email-Governor-Lamont with a copy to Matthew Gates at matthew.gates@ct.gov and a hard copy to the Secretary of Commerce at the U.S. Department of Commerce, 1401 Constitution Ave. NW, Washington DC 20230

Thank you in advance.

Posted (edited) · Report post

Where do you stand in regards to the conservation of this fishery? I dont know much about the council and what power it possess,  can you give more info. Thanks

Edited by Turkeybacn

28 mins ago, MakoMike said:

Thanks Guys I should have included my real name which is Michael Plaia.

I was just going to ask you.

1 hour ago, Turkeybacn said:

Where do you stand in regards to the conservation of this fishery? I dont know much about the council and what power it possess,  can you give more info. Thanks

Which fishery? the NEFMC manages all New England ground fish, scallops, spiny dogfish, surf clams, skates etc. I believe in following the Scientific advise as to setting the catch target and doing all possible to see that the scientifically set catch limits are met but not exceeded. I also believe that the council should give recreational anglers more weight in their considerations than is currently the case. right now recreational anglers are only considered when setting catch limits on cod and haddock, and they are completely ignored for all the other species.

2 hours ago, MakoMike said:

Which fishery? the NEFMC manages all New England ground fish, scallops, spiny dogfish, surf clams, skates etc. I believe in following the Scientific advise as to setting the catch target and doing all possible to see that the scientifically set catch limits are met but not exceeded. I also believe that the council should give recreational anglers more weight in their considerations than is currently the case. right now recreational anglers are only considered when setting catch limits on cod and haddock, and they are completely ignored for all the other species.

I appreciate the response, unfortunately after reading your responses in the Quota post I don't feel I can offer my support.

Just now, Turkeybacn said:

I appreciate the response, unfortunately after reading your responses in the Quota post I don't feel I can offer my support.

15 mins ago, Turkeybacn said:

14 mins ago, ged said:

That of course is your option.

Do you think we should have a commercial bass season given the current stock?

If so, I cannot trust you with the future dogfish and skates because that is all my kids will have left. 

1 hour ago, ged said:

Do you think we should have a commercial bass season given the current stock?

If so, I cannot trust you with the future dogfish and skates because that is all my kids will have left. 

It doesn’t matter what I think, the ASMFC manages striped bass, and I’m not applying to be an ASMFC Commisioner. Do I think that commercial fishing has a place in fishery management? The answer is a definite yes. Just as I think that recreational fishing needs to be taken into account in fishery management decisions more than is currently the case. I was an active participant in getting the NEFMC to revisit the recreational/commercial splits in the Quota division on cod and haddock, which increased the recreational share of the quota.