SeaWolf21

Rear single hook tip up or down?

Rate this topic

34 posts in this topic

Wondering if anyone has thoughts about rear single hooks on pugs and whether the hook point should face up or down? Seems intuitive that it would face upwards, but many plugs (I can think of Super Strike for instance) come with the rear single facing point down. Also noticed some brands of epoxy jigs do the same thing and doesn’t seem to make a difference for Albie hook-ups but curious if there is consensus here for Striper plugs. 

Have been reading a bunch here over the last year and finally joining the party - first post! Thanks everyone for contributing to such a fantastic resource for those looking to learn about the sport.

I’ll go against the grain and say pointed up.  I’d rather hook fish in the roof of the mouth than in the tongue or where the gills come together.  I’m not sure if it actually makes a difference, but i like to think it does.

Down.  Think of a fish grabbing your lure from behind or the side.  It's mouth will lift the hook from the downward angle it is riding at and get hooked in the lower jaw/lip.  Other way not as efficient after years of trial and error.

7 mins ago, JoelJ said:

Up . . . the belly hook(s) takes care of the "down" business . . .

No belly hook(s)

Just the end, rear, of the plug.

7 mins ago, JoelJ said:

Up . . . the belly hook(s) takes care of the "down" business . . .

And then you have two hooks working against each other. Most of my plugs are running flags in the rear this coming season anyways.

I like hook up.  Fish comes up, or horizontal to the lure then turns head down to escape with their prize and gets hooked.

Honestly, I think it is a matter of personal preference and confidence.

Generally speaking, siwash point down, inline point up works best on my plugs. I believe the hook design dictates which orientation you should have the hooks. All my plastic swimmers have inline hooks on the rear hanger.

I've caught fish with both options. Something that i've noticed is casting distance on some plugs varies depending on how I positioned the hook - pointing up caused more wobbling and tumbling on some plugs compared to facing down.