BrianC86

Visiting Falmouth in May, worth bringing the fishing gear?

Rate this topic

9 posts in this topic

Coming up from Long Island sometime in May (most likely), figured might take my little guy fishing while we’re there. Just wondering if it’s worth bringing some fishing gear with us, and what I should bring (surf rod, inshore, light tackle etc). Not looking for spots. Thanks in advance gentleman!

Yes, it's worth it - the only question is the timing of the trip. Towards the beginning of the month, smaller fish will be around in good numbers, but it would be hit or miss with bigger fish (the bigger ones start to trickle in around the first to second week of May)...If you're trip is later in the month, you should have big and small fish around, plus bluefish. 

The beaches along the southside are definitely worth checking out - but if you want to make the most of it, use google earth and check out the various saltwater ponds, also along the southside. 

3 mins ago, albacized said:

Yes, it's worth it - the only question is the timing of the trip. Towards the beginning of the month, smaller fish will be around in good numbers, but it would be hit or miss with bigger fish (the bigger ones start to trickle in around the first to second week of May)...If you're trip is later in the month, you should have big and small fish around, plus bluefish. 

The beaches along the southside are definitely worth checking out - but if you want to make the most of it, use google earth and check out the various saltwater ponds, also along the southside. 

Thank you pal, I owe ya a drink

If the kid is small a party boat for scup could hook him for life. You may not fish much, you will be too busy unhooking fish for him. 

I don't go anywhere with out something to fish with.  

Always have travel rods & reel with a bag of tackle in the car. 

Funny story,  we had a tornado rip thru this summer.  We're all huddled in the basement.  House is shaking. Wind screaming.  Tree crashes and we hear it crush one of the cars.  My daughter screams out "OH NO DAD!! YOUR FISHING RODS!!"  And bursts into tears. 

I even store a small handline kit on my schoolbus!

57 mins ago, ged said:

If the kid is small a party boat for scup could hook him for life. You may not fish much, you will be too busy unhooking fish for him. 

Yup, shallow water Black Sea bass should be in full swing along with those plate sized scup.  

May is a great time to be south of the cape and around buzzards bay.

I hope some big blues show up this spring.

May can be the best month of the season in that area.  By late may, you can have big bass and blues hammering topwater during the day, and nice bass at night.  And as Albicized said, check out google maps for the salt ponds.