aae0130

How much is enough?

Rate this topic

40 posts in this topic

Posted (edited) · Report post

Im a beginner. Just purchased my first pistol. (9mm).          
Ammo is available at the local range I will be shooting at so that’s covered. 
 

I have two boxes of 50 rounds each that I bought online for home. I have two more coming tomorrow. My plan is to build up

about 500 rounds but I can only buy two boxes at a time from where I get my supply.
 

My big question is how much ammo should I keep on hand......reasonably. What is the norm if any norm does exist?

 

I would think 500 rounds as a stash would be reasonable but then I watch an episode of the Walking Dead and think that I need more. It’s not that I expect the zombie apocalypse to actually happen, but you never know. I live in a small urban NJ town but I am surrounded by filthy cities. My county is pretty high on the crime charts, though my town itself is pretty safe. 

 

There is also plenty of chatter about the incoming administration leading Internet personalities to say that we should be buying everything gun related that we can now. 
 

I understand that buying up everything in a rush will further the shortage problem but who wants to be the guy that was too late?
 

So how much should I have and why? 

 

 

Edited by aae0130

Share this post


Link to post
Share on other sites

In these times as much as you can afford as long as it’s a reasonable price. 
Ive got about 10k rounds in my safe of 5  calibers and I wish I bought more when it was more normally priced.  Especially .223 and 10 mm

Share this post


Link to post
Share on other sites

Posted (edited) · Report post

11 mins ago, ridenfish said:

In these times as much as you can afford as long as it’s a reasonable price. 
Ive got about 10k rounds in my safe of 5  calibers and I wish I bought more when it was more normally priced.  Especially .223 and 10 mm

Sounds like an investment style of strategy. Buy it because it will cost more later. This makes sense to me because the ammo is basically a disposable item. 
 

Do you bring your own when you go shooting or is your stash a just in case thing? 
 

I plan to buy my shooting ammo from the range for now. The stash I am building is intended for if the SHTF. 

Edited by aae0130

Share this post


Link to post
Share on other sites

Posted (edited) · Report post

4 mins ago, aae0130 said:

Sounds like an investment style of strategy. Buy it because it will cost more later. This makes sense to me because the ammo is basically a disposable item. 
 

Do you bring your own when you go shooting or is your stash a just in case thing? 

I haven’t been to the range in 2 months.  
Now that even 22 is ridiculously priced I probably won’t go for a while.  I like to replace what I shoot and spending 50 bucks for a box of fmj to punch holes in paper ain’t worth it now. Frigging sucks, and I think it will be this way for years.  

Edited by ridenfish

Share this post


Link to post
Share on other sites
1 min ago, ridenfish said:

I haven’t been to the range in 2 months.  
Now that even 22 is ridiculously priced I probably won’t go for a while.  I like to replace what I shoot and spending 50 bucks for a box of fmj to ouch holes in paper ain’t worth it now. Frigging sucks, and I think it will be this way for years.  

Agree. Don’t see this ending anytime soon.

Share this post


Link to post
Share on other sites

Posted (edited) · Report post

19 mins ago, ridenfish said:

I haven’t been to the range in 2 months.  
Now that even 22 is ridiculously priced I probably won’t go for a while.  I like to replace what I shoot and spending 50 bucks for a box of fmj to punch holes in paper ain’t worth it now. Frigging sucks, and I think it will be this way for years.  

 

17 mins ago, D_L said:

Agree. Don’t see this ending anytime soon.


Everything I read months ago from respectable sources was pointing to the shortage continuing through 2021 and maybe leveling off in early 2022. Since the election, that tune has changed to prices will skyrocket and it will become increasingly harder to get ammo. I also saw that some ammo that is supplied from foreign sources may be cut off completely. 
 

So it would be “reasonable” to hold on to as much as I can. 
 

I know this sounds like a silly question but I tend to over think things and get severe equipment OCD. I like to gage what is reasonable from experienced people so I don’t feel like I am becoming too compulsive. 

Edited by aae0130

Share this post


Link to post
Share on other sites
1 min ago, aae0130 said:

 


Everything I read months ago from respectable sources was pointing to the shortage continuing through 2021 and maybe leveling off in early 2022. Since the election, that tune has changed to prices will skyrocket and it will become increasingly harder to get ammo. I also saw that some ammo that is supplied from foreign sources may be cut off completely. 
 

So it would be “reasonable” to hold on to as much as I can. 
 

I know this sounds like a silly question but I tend to over think things and get severe equipment OCD. I like to gage what is reasonable from experienced people so I don’t feel like I am becoming too compulsive. 

Not silly at all. Hop on any reasonable prices you can be it from a shop or private seller. You can never have enough ammunition.

Share this post


Link to post
Share on other sites

Posted (edited) · Report post

Even using the range is what I consider to be pretty expensive. A lane for 40 minutes, 50 rounds of 9mm, and a target is close to $150. I’m brand new and need to learn so I need to go. 
 

They have a 4 session pass (1 per week) for 4 weeks that is $165 If you BYO ammo and pistol.

The yearly membership package is $600 but I would get $100 discount because I bought my pistol there, and it’s also bring your own. 
 

How much did you go when you first got into it?

Edited by aae0130

Share this post


Link to post
Share on other sites

I did more shooting on camping trips than at the range. I starting shooting as a teenager. I bought my first pistol at 16 and it was an considered an antique because it was made it the 1880s. It was a Smith and Wesson New model #3. I used to do cowboy re-enactments. So we would shoot blanks out of it. 
 

I just took the conceal carry pistol course here in Florida and will take the advanced course as well. Something I could not do in Commiefornia as it’s virtually impossible to get a conceal carry.  Keep taking the classes. No substitute for professional training. You learn proper technique.

Share this post


Link to post
Share on other sites

Saving piles of ammo for SHTF is silly in my opinion. You don't need 1000s of rounds to hunt and you are not going to be a one man army taking on groups of crazies. Altercations should be avoided at all costs in a SHTF situation.

 

Some will say ammo will be worth more then gold. You gonna go trade for ammo with a stranger so he knows you have more and can come take it with more friends?

 

I say 2 boxes is good enough. Enjoy the rest and have fun.

Share this post


Link to post
Share on other sites
10 mins ago, D_L said:

I did more shooting on camping trips than at the range. I starting shooting as a teenager. I bought my first pistol at 16 and it was an considered an antique because it was made it the 1880s. It was a Smith and Wesson New model #3. I used to do cowboy re-enactments. So we would shoot blanks out of it. 
 

I just took the conceal carry pistol course here in Florida and will take the advanced course as well. Something I could not do in Commiefornia as it’s virtually impossible to get a conceal carry.  Keep taking the classes. No substitute for professional training. You learn proper technique.

There is virtually no carry at all in Jersey. Everyone gets rejected. You need to be security or an armored driver to get it. I can transport to and from the range/gunsmith/gun store only. That’s it.....I will eventually leave the people’s republic of NJ and probably end up in Florida, Kentucky, or Tenn. I like saltwater fishing much more than fresh water though.....

Share this post


Link to post
Share on other sites

Stocking up on ammo now is going to be expensive, try and find some good Defensive ammo get enough to keep your mags full and see how the shoot from your gun. Use the slightly cheaper stuff at the range. 

Share this post


Link to post
Share on other sites

Posted (edited) · Report post

I generally try to have a box or two of defense ammo on hand, and "some" range ammo for each caliber. I keep more 9mm around because I have more 9mm guns and shoot that more than the others.  If I have enough to keep my gun and a couple spare mags full then I'm happy.

Edited by Kima

Share this post


Link to post
Share on other sites

When I take my boys to the range. We go thru 2 boxes of 9mm. 100 rounds.  And around 200-250 rounds of 22s.  I try to keep enough on hand for a few range trips.  

3 bricks of 22s

500 rounds of .223/5.56.

Half dozen boxes(50 rounds) of each caliber is good.  

 

Share this post


Link to post
Share on other sites
35 mins ago, aae0130 said:

There is virtually no carry at all in Jersey. Everyone gets rejected. You need to be security or an armored driver to get it. I can transport to and from the range/gunsmith/gun store only. That’s it.....I will eventually leave the people’s republic of NJ and probably end up in Florida, Kentucky, or Tenn. I like saltwater fishing much more than fresh water though.....

I’m sure you will be looking forward to leaving.

Share this post


Link to post
Share on other sites

Create an account or sign in to comment

You need to register here in order to participate.

Create an account

Sign up for a new account in our community. It's easy!


Register a new account

Sign in

Already have an account? Sign in here.


Sign In Now

  • Recently Browsing   0 members

    No registered users viewing this page.