Penn 710 Spinfisher Questions

Rate this topic

I recently purchased a relative unused penn 710 spinfisher "greenie" and all be it it fishes really well I still have a few concerns that I am not sure if it would be consider "normal" or if some matience is required.

When retrieving the line, there are 2 noises i hear.

The first is a constant, "Wearing sound" not like grinding of sand or dirt but more of just the gears.  I am pretty sure this is just the typical sound of the classic reels, but I am not certain. And most YouTube videos I have come across never really display the reel being retrieved. Most are just your basic how to clean and repair videos.

The second noise that I hear while retrieving is a single click what seems like once per full turn of the handle.  This I am 99% certain is how the reel came manufactured, but still was inclined to ask the SOL community. 

If anyone possibly knows a good video they could refer me to of a properly working 710 or maybe my question makes slight sense and you can answer. Thanks!

2 hours ago, Bubbaluch said:

When retrieving the line, there are 2 noises i hear.

The first is a constant, "Wearing sound" not like grinding of sand or dirt but more of just the gears.  I am pretty sure this is just the typical sound of the classic reels, but I am not certain. And most YouTube videos I have come across never really display the reel being retrieved. Most are just your basic how to clean and repair videos.

The gears in these reels don't make noises there very smooth unless they are badly worn out, there like a worm drive gearing they kind of slide into each other, the nose l bet is coming from the bearing there is only one in these reels.

giant basshole

I think the second noise could possibly be the bail release not fully disengaging. That’s the only thing that would make noise once per revolution.

This makes sense.

lf you can take the main brass gear out and clean it and post a picture of the gear.

I went and bought some Penn Grease and Reelbutter Oil and cleaned her myself. Even though it was supposed freshly redone, per some advice, the grease in the picture I posted was either bad grease to use or old (black color).  

I didn't have small enough flat head to get into the single ball bearing but I oiled it up and finished it off pinion with grease and it spun fairly well.

Any clicking noise I had, is now gone. So thanks for your suggestions.. the reelbutter oil probably worked out any kinks.

When not under a load while reeling (i.e retrieving a plug) it retrieves almost effortlessly but once being fished it gets a little tougher. Maybe its simply the design of the older reels and I'm just so use to the smoother reels now in days. I don't think anything can be done to make it even more smooth. 

Anyway, thanks to those that replied. I believe I fixed the most worrisome issue which was the clicking noise!

25 mins ago, Bubbaluch said:

When not under a load while reeling (i.e retrieving a plug) it retrieves almost effortlessly but once being fished it gets a little tougher. Maybe its simply the design of the older reels and I'm just so use to the smoother reels now in days. I don't think anything can be done to make it even more smooth. 

This type of gearing never had much or winching power in your favor under a load but they are smooth.

This type of gearing gave you much more power. Old Penn 550SS mods l did to the reel years ago.

DSCF1193.JPG.41e54d19c5dc98b121af6f6f848e697e.JPG

What you have now.

DSC02649.JPG.3b7b7b7a675f4928904c8f62aa4dd6f9.JPG

enjoy it there great reels.

Edited by LB

I went and created a YouTube clip of what the reel currently sounds like (Post Cleaning).

If an expert could possibly take a look and tell me if the noise that is created from retrieving normal or could I possibly clean some more up.

Clip: 

Thank you LB! I have been looking for awhile for a reel of this nature to appear locally and finally one did.  

This is what I was able to manage to make it look like internally with some more appropriate grease.  

20210123_155439.jpg

Edited by Bubbaluch

Sound like a dry bearing, lf you can take out the bearing and take off one of the bearing shields clean the bearing and add reel grease, if the bearing is reel bad that will just quite it down some, the bearing should be replaced cheap item. Your buy water there should be a tackle shop near by see if they stock part.

I had trouble getting the screws removed and I eventually did.  Followed by having a difficult time trying to remove the bearing itself and the pinion shaft. Once finally removed and cleaned and ready to put back together.  The bearing would not fit smoothly back into place and needed alot of pressure.  

Being young and dumb I tried to put some pressure and I eventually put a ding into the bearing itself.  What would cause the bearing to not go back smoothly? It seemed like it was almost too big and I made sure the edges were clean and I applied some grease so it would be easier but that didn't help. 

The bearing still spins really well with oil but I'm guessing I should get another one just to be safe.

Edit: After a couple more hours of trying I finally worked this bearing down into the right position along with pinion gear.  When I attached the handle and main gear to give it a few turns. It felt locked up and then a few full turns of the handle were rough. In the end it began to spin freely and smoothly.

With that being said, I'm just going to get a new sealed bearing in the morning bc I did damage this one a bit. 

20210124_132449.jpg

20210124_132305.jpg

Edited by Bubbaluch

The bearing is 3/8 x 7/8 x 9/32. You should be able to get one local. Just make sure the number has an S in front. This designates that it’s stainless steel. It’s 404 stainless that will rust over time. All bearings are this way.

To clean out the hole for the bearing I use these shown in a dremel tool.

Keith

58EBD4BB-9A19-4AD3-BA37-6A41EC655349.jpeg

Edited by handi2