Billl nye

Fly rod for outbound short

Rate this topic

64 posts in this topic

On 1/26/2021 at 10:07 PM, codyjorge said:

To the OP:

I have a 9 wt BVK that throws a 9wt OBS (375g) pretty perfectly. But an 8wt OBS is definitely trickier on an 8wt BVK, even though its a very fast rod. Not sure why. Maybe because the 9wt is a big jump up in their format and more similar to the 10wt. 

Either way, if you're fishing stripers, it's nice to have a 9wt. I've read great things about the T&T Zone and will be buying one before too long. A 9wt Zone might be a good rod for an 8wt OBS while also allowing you to fish 9wt lines for other situations you might find yourself in. 

Yes the 9wt BVK was much heavier/ thicker than the 8wt. A much bigger jump than the 7wt to the 8wt.

My 8 wt T&T Zone was a  nice rod but did not cast as long as my Echo 3S, Recon (previous version) or Tradewinds XS. I should have kept my 8wt TICRx. 

Check out the Sage Maverick 8wt - you may like it.

8 mins ago, gman1253 said:

Yes the 9wt BVK was much heavier/ thicker than the 8wt. A much bigger jump than the 7wt to the 8wt.

My 8 wt T&T Zone was a  nice rod but did not cast as long as my Echo 3S, Recon (previous version) or Tradewinds XS. I should have kept my 8wt TICRx. 

Check out the Sage Maverick 8wt - you may like it.

What are your opinions on the 8wt recon.  I found an original model 9wt brand new but they want full asking for it.  My 6 wt is an old model recon and I really like it but it doesn’t have the fastest action do the saltwater rods have a faster action than the freshwater models?  I have been trying to find a ticrx but they go fast on the forums missed out on two so far.  I’m wondering how the axiom 2x compares since it’s supposed to be the replacement for that rod.

Check out the Trident reviews... they did 8 weights, Recon (old & new), Zone, Maverick, & Axiom II & II X. They loved the 8wt Maverick.  The new Recon did not fare as well as the previous version.

I am a crappy fly caster & I usually overline  since I can't stand making more than 2 false casts.

The old recon (I have the 9 & 8) throw long and are light in hand. Probably do not handle overlining that well & heavy lofting. 

I have casted the 7wt Maverick - nothing great IMO, but the 8wt or 9wt may be different animals.

Best thing to do is to try to cast a couple.

I thought I was a pretty decent caster until I went to practice yesterday and the wind reminded me otherwise! Not a good day to practice with 12 ft leaders. Went out to cast a new 7wt Zone and really enjoyed it before the wind picked up. It's definitely more of a feel rod than a bomber and the Flats Pro I was casting on it might be a little heavy for it.

RE: Recon - I had a 7wt Recon for a short time and didn't care for it. Just felt a little noodly to me. I have a 7wt Mangrove that I prefer. 

The Maverick sounds pretty great. And I just saw an 8wt Payload go for a $350 buy-it-now. That could be a great option as it's built for lines like OBS. So is the Exocett SS but those go for quite a bit more.