Billl nye

Fly rod for outbound short

Rate this topic

64 posts in this topic

Hello everyone 


I’m looking for a rod that will be able to cast a rio outbound short line in 8wt.  I currently have a fenwick aetos which is a nice rod but when I got the new line the tip isn’t powerful enough to cast it efficiently.  Would something like a bvk or axiom 2x fit the bill?

 
I’ve done some research and it seems like some on this forum recommend a 9 wt rod for the 8 wt outbound.  Thank you for any guidance you can provide.

Share this post


Link to post
Share on other sites

Kind of an odd question. Usually you buy a rod for a particular use then get a line that works well with it. As to your question, all I can say is think hard before you spend money on a BVK. 

Share this post


Link to post
Share on other sites

Posted (edited) · Report post

Thank you for the responses.

 

I guess I should clarify,  I already bought the fly line but realized my rod didn’t have enough backbone to handle it.  I have been trout fishing for a while but this was my first 8 wt rod purchase so I bought something cheap to see if I would go out for stripers or not.  Looking for a rod upgrade that is a little faster for fighting winds and is also more capable in casting a shooting head.

 

I read a lot of good reviews on the bvk the only thing i saw was it is prone to breaking.  Is there a better option I should look I’d like to keep it under 500.

 

edit 

 

Sorry for the delay in response how many posts do I need before the mods don’t need to approve my posts?

Edited by Billl nye

Share this post


Link to post
Share on other sites
2 hours ago, Billl nye said:

Hello everyone 


I’m looking for a rod that will be able to cast a rio outbound short line in 8wt.  I currently have a fenwick aetos which is a nice rod but when I got the new line the tip isn’t powerful enough to cast it efficiently.  Would something like a bvk or axiom 2x fit the bill?

 
I’ve done some research and it seems like some on this forum recommend a 9 wt rod for the 8 wt outbound.  Thank you for any guidance you can provide.

 

How much do you want to spend? 

 

Any modern fast action rod will be just fine.  With the OBS short you want the same weight line as the rod (don't under or over weight the line).  Don't listen when you get chastized about AFTMA charts, grain weights, learning the "right" way to cast or cutting your rod down (especially this).  BVK is an excellent (if fragile) rod especially for the money.  After all these years the BVK still fights way above its weight class.  Never cast the Axiom II,  I'd be willing to bet plenty good.

Share this post


Link to post
Share on other sites

I used OBS lines exclusively.  My 8 weight was an NRX and I used an Orvis Helios 2 in 10 weight.  Both of those rods were very fast and able to cast the OBS efficiently.  Easy to pick it up and with one back cast shoot 75 to 80 feet of line.

 

Don't use those lines on medium action rods of the same weight as they will collapse during the cast. 

Share this post


Link to post
Share on other sites

First, The angler makes the cast, the rod is just the tool to do it. 
 

Second, skill, style are all different. What works for one individual won’t necessarily work for another. 
 

if one can cast well, they can cast well with anything they use. 

Share this post


Link to post
Share on other sites

8 weight Redington CPX (stiff), or 8wt Redington Predator (either the 9ft or the short one,but the Predator 7'11" rod is about perfect for such a line).

8 weight TFO TFR (2 piece) can handle it also.

Share this post


Link to post
Share on other sites
3 hours ago, Cpalms said:

 

How much do you want to spend? 

 

Any modern fast action rod will be just fine.  With the OBS short you want the same weight line as the rod (don't under or over weight the line).  Don't listen when you get chastized about AFTMA charts, grain weights, learning the "right" way to cast or cutting your rod down (especially this).  BVK is an excellent (if fragile) rod especially for the money.  After all these years the BVK still fights way above its weight class.  Never cast the Axiom II,  I'd be willing to bet plenty good.

Looking to spend under 500.  My main trout rod is an old model orvis recon.  I’ve heard a lot of good things about tfo so I’m interested but would consider something more expensive.  

Share this post


Link to post
Share on other sites
2 hours ago, Billl nye said:

Looking to spend under 500.  My main trout rod is an old model orvis recon.  I’ve heard a lot of good things about tfo so I’m interested but would consider something more expensive.  

 

Under $500 - here is the short list

 

TFO Axion llx - i've never cast this rod but based on reputation (and warranty) it would give it worth a shot for even if you have to buy it completely blind.

 

Orvis Recon - the old recon was great, this new one is supposed to be better.  Good warranty and easy to find on sale, discount codes, etc

 

Redington Predator - never cast it, two buddies that are sticks love it. 

 

Used

 

Sage Xi3 (not Xi2 which is also a fine rod but doesn't handle the integrated heads nearly as well as it's big brother) - one the finest and most beautiful fly rods ever built. In your price range (used). My favorite rod of all time.

 

Loomis NRX - (the original not the NRX+) considered by some to be the best fly rod ever built. NRX's are the standard used to compare other rods.  I like the Xi3 better but i'm weird. I particularly like the NRX model that comes the hideous blue wraps. That's a real cream puff. Used, its in your price range. It's like buying 10 year old Porsche 911.  That's still plenty of car for spirited driving.

 

TFO BVK - a decade old and easily the best value on this list - Probably can find the rod used cheaper than the RIO OBS line costs new.

 

That's my list.

 

All three of these should be easy to find used on eBay.

Share this post


Link to post
Share on other sites

You like the  Aetos and have other lines that cast well with it...try to trade the line on BST forum for a 7wt Outbound. 30 or so grains doesn't seem like much difference but in some cases it's all that's needed for a rod to feel right again.

Share this post


Link to post
Share on other sites

I'd cast a few different ones and buy used.  I fish Sage Xi 2s and they work great.  Just picked up a used one as a backup for $300.  

Share this post


Link to post
Share on other sites

Create an account or sign in to comment

You need to register here in order to participate.

Create an account

Sign up for a new account in our community. It's easy!


Register a new account

Sign in

Already have an account? Sign in here.


Sign In Now

  • Recently Browsing   0 members

    No registered users viewing this page.