phishallways

Bert still servicing VS reels?

Rate this topic

65 posts in this topic

Posted (edited) · Report post

On 1/22/2021 at 4:33 PM, ASrod said:

Well, first ive heard. Hope its not true.

any feedback on this guy Mike’s work at Saltwater B&T, W. ISLIP?

Edited by TimS
quote edited

On 1/22/2021 at 4:33 PM, ASrod said:

Everyone at VS? How many people even worked at Van Staal? 1 on the East Coast and a few in Tulsa Oklahoma?

Edited by TimS
quote edited

Just now, ged said:

Everyone at VS? How many people even worked at Van Staal? 1 on the East Coast and a few in Tulsa Oklahoma?

Ged, do have any other good options than to send my early American 200 VS to Tulsa for service..

well Craig is all ive ever met, and if i recall correct  he’s never recommended Bert. 

5 mins ago, ged said:

I would recommend Q at Rivers End in Old Saybrook CT. Certified repair center. 

Thanks, I used them a few times but i started to like the drop off/pick up local thing. Guess ill ship again if not “mike”.

1 min ago, phishallways said:

Ged, do have any other good options than to send my early American 200 VS to Tulsa for service..

well Craig is all ive ever met, and if i recall correct  he’s never recommended Bert. 

Tulsa no longer services any reels. I believe they sent their factory tools to the shop in NY. 

Craig is another story for another thread. 

16 mins ago, ged said:

Tulsa no longer services any reels. I believe they sent their factory tools to the shop in NY. 

Craig is another story for another thread. 

Thanks again Ged, they’re nearby so ill drop both reels tomorrow. See what they do with the business.

He was the first service on an old american reel of mine prior to which I had fished the reel close to 10 years and was factory original with zero issues.  2 months of use after his service and my reel seized up.  I was subsequently ghosted by the guy when trying to contact him directly so I contacted Craig who promptly handled the reel from there.  Later that week I received a message from Bert accusing me of being a rat and going over his head to purposely make him look bad.  The following year a good pal had his serviced by bert and from my understanding something similar occurred with him as well.  This was my experience.

Edited by DeepBlue85

Van Staal is aware that their service doesn’t not cover the most critical seal, the main seal in the pinion assembly (transmission). Craigs video doesn’t cover it, Berts video doesn’t cover it, the self service kit doesn’t cover it. 

There is another video on SJ, from Marc, (one of our members here) where he goes through the process to property service a reel including the main seal. 

It doesn’t end there. The main seal needs to be manually reamed to fit before installation. There is a factory video on this process. It has been around a long time and has very few views. 

This is from the Zebco YouTube page:

Edited by ged

14 mins ago, DeepBlue85 said:

He was the first service on an old american reel of mine prior to which I had fished the reel close to 10 years and was factory original with zero issues.  2 months of use after his service and my reel seized up.  I was subsequently ghosted by the guy when trying to contact him directly so I contacted Craig who promptly handled the reel from there.  Later that week I received a message from Bert accusing me of being a rat and going over his head to purposely make him look bad.  The following year a good pal had his serviced by bert and from my understanding something similar occurred with him as well.  This was my experience.

Craig isn’t a hero. He is aware of the problem.  VS pretends like it doesn’t exist. 

I really wish there was more reliable service centers. I’ve used the one in ct before. It was ok. Kinda a long turn around with a lack of communication. I guess they just gave a shop in Florida the ok to “officially” service reels. I think the North East could use another to help ease the burden.