Inshore

NEW 2021 Shimano Exsence

Rate this topic

45 posts in this topic

I'm all about this reel!

I like that we don't have to wait for years like the last one.

I have no need for this size reel in the salt....but 3k is perfect.

When I compared the last gen to my stella 3k's I liked fishing the ex over the stell.

Just checked, based on price it’s between Stella and Vanquish...

10 mins ago, FlukeOff said:

How does this fit in their line up?

1 hour ago, scoobydoo said:

I have no need for this size reel in the salt....but 3k is perfect.

The only downside to this reel IMO is the M “Medium Depth” spool...

It’s still a thing of beauty nonetheless!

1 min ago, Inshore said:

The only downside to this reel IMO is the M “Medium Depth” spool...

It’s still a thing of beauty nonetheless!

For FW applicatoins where I myself would use it.  It's actually a benefit... I don't need 300 yards of 6 or 8lb braid..... :) 

To cast a jerk bait 150 feet.

Some of my favorite baitcasters won't hold a full spool of 4lb test suffix 832 ice braid.

Edited by scoobydoo

I was about to pull the trigger on this one but found out ever since Vanquish 19 all newer Shimanos in these sizes and class seem to have inner guts and mechanism attached to plate and not the actual body w/foot... so the mechanism doesn't sit tight in magnesium body but rather Ci4 closing plate - which brings to my concern regarding reliability. Not sure if these reels (or any higher end magnesium body) would hold up to tolerances and would gradually build up play, especially in the rotor etc etc?

I got the 3000MHG a couple weeks ago, sold it w/o putting line on - extremely underwhelming feel compared to mid-high end Daiwas, and I might add the body is one of the ugliest I've seen in a spinning reel. Weird bumps and protrusions on the right side plate, weird angular rear bumper cap.  

Feels no more refined than the Stradic...not even close to a certate/exist.  

35 mins ago, buddha162 said:

I got the 3000MHG a couple weeks ago, sold it w/o putting line on - extremely underwhelming feel compared to mid-high end Daiwas, and I might add the body is one of the ugliest I've seen in a spinning reel. Weird bumps and protrusions on the right side plate, weird angular rear bumper cap.  

Feels no more refined than the Stradic...not even close to a certate/exist.  

Huh? I know you said you weren't impressed....but you returned it without using it?

Lightened rotor, Japanesium, feather weight.......Better line management than daiwa.  Looks are subjective. 

I bought it based on looks alone.

That stradic FL is a scoocum choocher though.

1 hour ago, scoobydoo said:

Huh? I know you said you weren't impressed....but you returned it without using it?

Lightened rotor, Japanesium, feather weight.......Better line management than daiwa.  Looks are subjective. 

I bought it based on looks alone.

That stradic FL is a scoocum choocher though.

Yeah it was so far off what I expected - felt slightly raspy and dry out of the box, talked to a couple other guys who had it and they used the same words to describe the retrieve. Not sure if it's something that goes away with use but I'm not too keen on finding out.

FWIW I felt the prev gen Exsence looked much better - obviously subjective but I dunno where Shimano is going with the angular body design, looks clunky AF with the flat black paint. 

For me the Luvias Airity for roughly the same price is a no brainer if I wanted a made in Japan magnesium reel.