2020 striper quota results

Rate this topic

bob_G

1 min ago, z-man said:

How is making stripers catch and release going to make the situation worse? That is absolutely ridiculous. I thought you were working for us recreational fishermen and needed our help to get you a new job?

It's going to increase the amount of dead discards, the same statistic that everyone is down on the draggers for. So you're in favor of wasting fish to save fish? BTW - the ASMFC manages striped bass.

====Mako Mike====
Makomania Sportfishing
Pt. Judith, RI

10 mins ago, MakoMike said:

So your in favor of dead discards, i.e. wasting resources?

What did you read?

If we restrict stripers from commercial and recreational take than all those fish that would have 100% died would not be dead. In addition, what ever % of release fish mortality add that to that total of dead fish. 

This will save fish. 

Sure, catch and release will still have mortality, but game fish status would save a lot of fish. 

3 mins ago, MakoMike said:

It's going to increase the amount of dead discards, the same statistic that everyone is down on the draggers for. So you're in favor of wasting fish to save fish? BTW - the ASMFC manages striped bass.

Is it really going to increase dead discards or are the people that are fishing for meat going to target another species? Those of us that are already catch and release guys are going to do the same as we are now. Plus the commercial mortality will be zero.

Thank god you won’t be helping to manage bass. 

6 mins ago, MakoMike said:

So keeping cow bass commercially is better than game fish status and no one keeps them?  

You sound like a politician :laugh:

8 mins ago, MakoMike said:

It worries me that you want to be part of the fishery management council.  

2 mins ago, ged said:

It worries me that you want to be part of the fishery management council.  

It worries me that you ignore what I write, As I said before the ASMFC manages striped bass.

====Mako Mike====
Makomania Sportfishing
Pt. Judith, RI

1 min ago, MakoMike said:

It worries me that you ignore what I write, As I said before the ASMFC manages striped bass.

Your view on striper management makes my worry about your ability to make good decisions regarding ground fish. 

Killing fish doesn’t save fish. Game fish status certainly would save fish. Simple math. 

Edited by ged

13 mins ago, ged said:

Your view on striper management makes my worry about your ability to make good decisions regarding ground fish. 

Killing fish doesn’t save fish. Game fish status certainly would save fish. Simple math. 

Generally speaking, at least in Federal fishery management, the quota is determined scientifically, that's the law. The objective is to catch the quota without exceeding it. When it comes to striped bass the ASMFC doesn't subscribe to that philosophy.

====Mako Mike====
Makomania Sportfishing
Pt. Judith, RI

1 min ago, MakoMike said:

Generally speaking, at least in Federal fishery management, the quota is determined scientifically, that's the law. The objective is to catch the quota without exceeding it. When it comes to striped bass the ASMFC doesn't subscribe to that philosophy.

What is your philosophy on striped bass? You have asked us for support so perhaps you can enlighten us. 

22 mins ago, MakoMike said:

Just so we're all dealing with the same facts. This chart is a little old but the current situation should be roughly the same.

2017 Striped bass mortality.jpg

So based on that chart if we went to catch and release we would be saving 42% rec harvest, 2% comm dead release and 8% comm harvest. That’s a 52% reduction in dead bass but you still think we would be killing more bass. Do you know how to properly read data?

35 mins ago, MakoMike said:

Just so we're all dealing with the same facts. This chart is a little old but the current situation should be roughly the same.

2017 Striped bass mortality.jpg

How was this data generated? Is it safe to say most of it regarding rec is assumed? Not saying it's wrong, just trying to understand how they come to that number without any rec person required to register catch or number of fish caught. Is it assumed that x amount of fish die after being caught and released by x amount of people?

3 mins ago, BDigital said:

How was this data generated? Is it safe to say most of it regarding rec is assumed? Not saying it's wrong, just trying to understand how they come to that number without any rec person required to register catch or number of fish caught. Is it assumed that x amount of fish die after being caught and released by x amount of people?

Junk data. 48% serves someone with an agenda. 

None of this crap affects me personally; I'm just an interested bystander.

Striped bass are a public resource that should produce the maximum public good.  The vast majority of people are neither recreational nor commercial fishermen.  They're just out there, trying to get by, maybe playing a little golf.  The general public only benefits from healthy fish populations through it's effect on the the economy.  A strong economy lifts all boats.

So, why is economics largely disregarded in fishery management? There are plenty of biologists involved in the process but where are the economists?  Why is the greater public good being neglected?

Let economists analyze the situation and model the effect of various fishery management decisions on what is in the best interest of everyone in the region over the long term.  How much money does commercial fishing pump into the economy?  How much money does recreational fishing pump into the economy?  Spoiler alert: recreational fishing wins, hands down.  But, neither commercial nor recreational fishermen are willing to consider long term impacts.

-steve

Oh yeah, one other thing....  The other fishery management councils around the country are very similar to ASFMC.  They are all a limp dick.

Edited by oc1