PeteA

HELP! Having problems with retrieving line?????

Rate this topic

25 posts in this topic

I’m hoping the more knowledgable here can jump in and help a relative newbie to surfcasting. I’m now living 10 minutes away from Long Island South Shore beaches and have dusted off some old equipment I used while dabbling in the surf while vacationing on CC over the years. I'm an experienced salt and fresh water fly fisherman. 

I have an 15 year old Penn 550SSG, recently back from Penn and overhauled. Having it re-spoiled with 20lb Fireline mono as recommended by Penn. It seems the older reel might not be as suited for braid. 
Tica Dolphin Rod - 9ft fast action, rated for 1/2 - 3oz lures. 1-2oz lures is pretty much the sweet spot for the rod. 

I got out a few times this fall to wet a line and I was having a great deal of issues with the reel. Not sure if it was the reel or pilot error or a combination of both. I was attempting to cast a number of different lures from tins to poppers in the 1-3 oz range. I’d open the bail with finger holding the line and casting (Not a total newbie to spinning reels). Different lures would fly differently for casting distance, roughly 30-40 yards-ish. Line would spoil off the reel. I’d let the lure sink or settle for a second or two when it hit the water while some line was still slowly spoiling off the reel. I’d flip the bail back to reel. Not a lot of attention was payed to the location of the roller in relationship to the top of the reel or rod. In some cases, lighter lures and/or a stronger wind would cause me to see a big bow in the line from rod tip to lure. So I was not in tight contact to the lure. Heavier lures and tins were a bit better. 

When I would reel in I’d sometimes have line accumulating at the top of the spoil \-/ and the line spill over the spoil creating a huge birds nest to the point I would have to cut way line. I got a new braid line and had a shim installed by a Long Island based Penn Service Center and It got a little better but I started having some issues in the opposite direction. Spoil was heavy at the bottom /-\. Also the line seemed to re-spoil loosely back onto the reel causing more birds nests. I had to cut away a new braided line after my second outing. 

The drag is set pretty tight. Not overly tight I would say. 

So here’s my questions.. 

> What am I doing wrong? 

> How do I manage the line so I’m fishing and not dealing with birds nest and tangles having to cut off line? 

> How do you keep tighter contact with lures? That bow of line seems to be a lot of line to lift for a strike if I did get a hit. 

> Should I be running the line through my fingers upon the retrieve to add tension to the reel with lighter lures to keep the line to re-spoil tighter? 

> How do I get the line to re-spoil tightly and evenly on the reel? 

> Is there any ideal position of the roller on the reel to the rod to start the retrieve, or do you just flip the bail and start retrieving? 

Any help would be greatly appreciated boys. 

Posted (edited) · Report post

As the lure approaches the landing point, I use my index finger, touching the paying out line, to reduce that big bow of line in the air. When I flip the bail, I simultaneously pull the line out (tightening it against the spool/roller) while pulling the rod tip above/behind me to further take out slack, reeling a bit to further take out slack.... then retrieve as desired. 

Edited by cityevader

I don’t remember if that model reel had a braid-ready spool. Did you use any mono backing? I had an old Daiwa years ago that I had similar problems with. I think Fireline is actually fused braid, not mono?  Turned out that the whole spool full of braid was spinning on the spool. I took off the braid, put maybe 25 yards of mono on then re-filled the spool with the braid. The reel worked good after that. Don’t know if this is your problem, but figured I’d throw it out there.

Start to pull the line with your right hand thumb and index finger just before the lure hits. Still holding that line, close the bail with the remaining fingers and pull the slack out of the line from the direction of the reel. (Make sure there’s not a loop over the top of the spool.)

From there, it depends how little tension is in the line. If it is really slack line, reeling it up as usual could wind loose line back on the spool. I’m those scenarios, you should provide tension between pinched fingers until you come in contact with the lure on retrieve. 

Also, Fireline is excellent for a stepping stone superline versus flimsy braid. However, 20lbs Fireline is awfully wiry to the point of possibly being counterproductive. I like fireline crystal 14 lbs strength. 

Beyond those tips, I’m thinking you may want a reel better suited for braid until you’re used to the line, surf spinning reels, and surf casting with spinners in general. Keep the old Penn reel for after the learning process. 

By the way, it’s possible there’s a mismatch of line to the rod, reel to rod, lure too light for the line or the rod, etc etc. 

I don't think you are the problem here. I think you have a loose screw connecting the shaft to the level wind gear inside the reel. 

On 1/22/2021 at 8:42 AM, wrboz said:

I don’t remember if that model reel had a braid-ready spool. Did you use any mono backing? I had an old Daiwa years ago that I had similar problems with. I think Fireline is actually fused braid, not mono?  Turned out that the whole spool full of braid was spinning on the spool. I took off the braid, put maybe 25 yards of mono on then re-filled the spool with the braid. The reel worked good after that. Don’t know if this is your problem, but figured I’d throw it out there.

This one.  If it just came back from Penn then you have to figure there is nothing mechanically wrong.

-steve

Find a spot that you can hook your lure to  tree and walk far back. Walk back to your lure With a slight bend in your rod putting the line back on tightly.

Then cast it and see whats going on.

I read the ops info again it sounds like couple things at first you were getting more line comming back at the top of the spool ! Then you switched to braid added a shim in spool ! Now its collecting more at bottom of spool ! Only thing that i can think of is spool was over filled at first then shim added . I would remove that shim then try it!

UPDATE......UPDATE.....UPDATE! 

Hey Guys, sorry for the delayed update. And thank you for all the responses and good information. 

Expecting a mechanical issue I sent the reel off to Penn for a look over and service. Penn services was stellar. I was in very close communication with a tech there, Will. He was outstanding. He actually reached out to me after seeing  this post to assure me if I have any issue to reach out again.

The reel was services and repaired - A laundry list of new parts installed to the point I basically have a new reel with a 1 year warranty! No charge by Penn. I'll attach a screen shot below of what was replaced. 

A couple other thoughts Will had:

> When the reel was initially spooled it was most likely over spooled with 20# mono. Which was mentioned in this post.

> I then switched to braid but he suggested my older 550SSG was not really made for braid lines and he thought the use of the braid could be contributing to the issue. 

> His suggestion was to go with 20# FireLine as it's very close in diameter to the braid that is on there now. 

So, I have not gotten out to get the new line yet. I will this weekend. I'm hoping the combination of the repair and new line not spooled to the very end will help things dramatically. 

> I also think a little better reel and line management on my part while fishing will help as well, IE: roller position, keeping line tight while retrieving with lighter lures, etc. 

So thanks for the input boys! Hope this gets me fishing more this spring and unraveling knots less! 

IMG_1521.jpg