Sudsy

Where do I find a small scrap of Corian countertop ?

Rate this topic

36 posts in this topic

Need a scrap of Corian counter top material (or a similar brand) - like a cutout for a double sink
Need one to make a router table
Don't care about the color
Not even sure where to look

Called some local kitchen guys, nada

Posted (edited) · Report post

25 mins ago, gellfex said:

Most I've used were 3/4" melamine. Dirt cheap stuff.

Built my first one out of that 

Heavy 3 horse Hitachi caused it to slightly warp then started pulling the mounting bolts loose

Built another out of Corian - it worked GREAT for almost 20 years. Sold it with the tablesaw a few months ago figuring I'd make a new one

Started putting the materials together the other day (have to build some cabinet doors and need to use the big stile and rail bits)

Not turning out the way I expected - turns out all the installers have gotten away from solid surface since the prices went way up and the prices for quartz and granite came way down. Last one I spoke to said he hasn't done one in 5 years

I did find one guy with a sink cutout. He wanted $90 for it. Yeah, right

Started looking for a used benchtop router table I can adapt to fit the saw

Edited by Sudsy

1 min ago, Sudsy said:

turns out all the installers have gotten away from solid surface since the prices went way up and the prices for quartz and granite came way down. Last one I spoke to said he hasn't one one in 5 years

It was always an idiotic material IMO. Not stain, scratch, not burn resistant like granite. Of course you gotta choose the right granite, not the porous stuff.

You might be able to get a piece of thick acrylic or polycarbonate to work.  I used a piece of ~ 1/2" lexan as an insert in my old router table.  Top was layered plywood with a masonite top and I made an insert that was maybe 12x15  It's easy to machine and never flexed but it was only supporting a PC 690 router. It comes in thicker stock as well.  I was able to get a small piece from a local plastics shop.

On 1/22/2021 at 10:19 AM, Sudsy said:
Need a scrap of Corian counter top material (or a similar brand) - like a cutout for a double sink

FB marketplace...corian sheets..

On 1/22/2021 at 0:33 PM, Ben Lippen said:

Jerry, why not just buy a new top ?

It’s Sudsy! Always improving the mousetrap!

On 1/22/2021 at 10:19 AM, Sudsy said:

You'll need to support it very well for using it as a router table... Corian flexes and sags if not. If your set on using that material, you may have better lucking getting a small sheet of Starboard, or other HDPE material which is comparable to Corian, minus the fancy colors and patterns.

I got a piece. Windows I ordered came in today at Millhurst Mills by me. Turns out they have a garage full of the stuff they recently picked up on the cheap

What with what i just paid them, giving me a scrap wasn't a problem

4 hours ago, JAL said:

You'll need to support it very well for using it as a router table... Corian flexes and sags if not. If your set on using that material, you may have better lucking getting a small sheet of Starboard, or other HDPE material which is comparable to Corian, minus the fancy colors and patterns.

Already made one, it went with my old table saw when I sold it a while back

Had I known Corian was going to become hard to come by i would have kept it

And over the small distance of 27" x 16" it doesn't flex