Surf Guy

Black Drum Rigs

Rate this topic

18 posts in this topic

Posted (edited) · Report post

I'm hoping to get out for Black Drum this spring.  I've been surf fishing for Stripers and Red Drum for years, but I've never targeted Black Drum.  

I tie all my own rigs (Hi-Lo, Cannonball, Teasers...), so I'm looking for recommendations on surf setups.  What size hooks do you prefer, and type of rig do you use?  I know that the Jersey guys use clams, but it seems like Sand Fleas are the preferred bait at Assateague.

If nothing else, it's a good topic for a cold winter day...

Thanks

Edited by Surf Guy

3 mins ago, Surf Guy said:

I'm hoping to get out for Black Drum this spring.  I've been surf fishing for Stripers and Red Drum for years, but I've never targeted Black Drum.  

I tie all my own rigs (Hi-Lo, Cannonball, Teasers...), so I'm looking for recommendations on surf setups.  What size hooks do you prefer, and type of rig do you use?  I know that the Jersey guys use clams, but it seems like Sand Fleas are the preferred bait at Assateague.

If nothing else, it's a good topic for a cold winter day...

Thanks

Last spring GW and I had luck with both High Low and Fish Finder rigs with Peeler Crabs, 7.0 Circles on both.  They were right behind the inner break.  Good luck.

Peelers in Va. surf

Sandfleas in Md. surf

A single drop loop with a 8.0 - 9.0 circle loaded with fleas works well for me. Also good for any stripers going by. 

Usually I'm fishing a combination of Hi-Lo and Fish Finder rigs with 8/0 hooks. Fishing both sandfleas and peelers. Nothing too complicated. 

7/0 or 8/0 circles on a top and bottom rig.

Peelers or fleas, but I've caught more off fleas the last 3 years then peelers

For a good eating size drum 1/0-3/0 using h/l rig with Sand fleas. On the incoming tide cast short just at the edge of the first break where murky and clear water meets. Bring kids to dig up the the fleas, with plastic shovels, 1A8FA914-F897-4062-A344-CCF77502E045.jpeg.b25d0ee860e8c91f3aa4f37b9b6b71a8.jpegand reel in the fish while you snap and film the fun!

On 3/10/2021 at 5:57 PM, DerrickT said:

7/0 or 8/0 circles on a top and bottom rig.

Peelers or fleas, but I've caught more off fleas the last 3 years then peelers

Fresh or frozen?  Peelers I mean.

Posted (edited) · Report post

32 mins ago, Stryper Snyper said:

Fresh or frozen?  Peelers I mean.

Fresh.

Not a huge fan of frozen but I have caught some on frozen but it seems to vary day to day if they will touch it.

I have caught a few flounder on frozen though

Edited by DerrickT

On 3/10/2021 at 7:34 PM, surffish said:

For a good eating size drum 1/0-3/0 using h/l rig with Sand fleas. On the incoming tide cast short just at the edge of the first break where murky and clear water meets. Bring kids to dig up the the fleas, with plastic shovels, 

I have a window this afternoon to go down to AI.  It looks like I'll be able to catch the incoming.  When you say "cast short just at the edge of the first break", do you mean where the water mixes behind the shore break or the water mix just inside of the bar?  I'm assuming the closer, but I wanted to ask and will plan on fishing both.

If anyone wants to know where the fish aren't today, ask here or avoid the silver tacoma with a camper top on it.

Thanks,

-e

4 hours ago, Eduardo Kang said:

I have a window this afternoon to go down to AI.  It looks like I'll be able to catch the incoming.  When you say "cast short just at the edge of the first break", do you mean where the water mixes behind the shore break or the water mix just inside of the bar?  I'm assuming the closer, but I wanted to ask and will plan on fishing both.

If anyone wants to know where the fish aren't today, ask here or avoid the silver tacoma with a camper top on it.

Thanks,

-e

Cast near you around the outflow closer to the beach as pictured(#6 image) here.

Also the correct hook sizes I would use for this season drum would be 3/0-6/0. If there are kingfish I would use 3/0 on bottom and 1/0 on top of hi/lo rig.

Good luck!

Stay within 20 to 25 yards behind the first breaker.  Find an out flow and put a rod on each side.  Both with a top and bottom.  I like 7/0 mustad circles with fleas tipped with fishbite sandflea strips if you can find them.

If you are feeling ambitious you can set a 3rd rod up with a fish finder rig and head for the outer bar straight out from the outflow.

Gents,

Thanks for the feedback. I really appreciate you sharing your knowledge.  I always can catch fish from a boat, whether it be in the Chesapeake or offshore, surf fishing is a different story.  Oddly enough I enjoy surf fishing the most. 

I did fish the edge of the plumes as they receded back out.   I fished a mix of sand fleas and clam snouts on circle hooks from 6/0 on up. I ended up catching a handful of small stripers, the biggest being 16”. 
I had some bigger baits out further near the bar and in what appeared to be a break in the bar, nothing on those baits.

No black drum, but for me it was a good day. I’ll be back next month.  The fishing will be different, but I’ll be better prepared.

Thank you!