Surf Guy

Black Drum Rigs

Rate this topic

6 posts in this topic

Posted (edited) · Report post

I'm hoping to get out for Black Drum this spring.  I've been surf fishing for Stripers and Red Drum for years, but I've never targeted Black Drum.  

I tie all my own rigs (Hi-Lo, Cannonball, Teasers...), so I'm looking for recommendations on surf setups.  What size hooks do you prefer, and type of rig do you use?  I know that the Jersey guys use clams, but it seems like Sand Fleas are the preferred bait at Assateague.

If nothing else, it's a good topic for a cold winter day...

Thanks

Edited by Surf Guy

3 mins ago, Surf Guy said:

I'm hoping to get out for Black Drum this spring.  I've been surf fishing for Stripers and Red Drum for years, but I've never targeted Black Drum.  

I tie all my own rigs (Hi-Lo, Cannonball, Teasers...), so I'm looking for recommendations on surf setups.  What size hooks do you prefer, and type of rig do you use?  I know that the Jersey guys use clams, but it seems like Sand Fleas are the preferred bait at Assateague.

If nothing else, it's a good topic for a cold winter day...

Thanks

Last spring GW and I had luck with both High Low and Fish Finder rigs with Peeler Crabs, 7.0 Circles on both.  They were right behind the inner break.  Good luck.

Peelers in Va. surf

Sandfleas in Md. surf

A single drop loop with a 8.0 - 9.0 circle loaded with fleas works well for me. Also good for any stripers going by. 

Usually I'm fishing a combination of Hi-Lo and Fish Finder rigs with 8/0 hooks. Fishing both sandfleas and peelers. Nothing too complicated.