Inshore

NEW 2021 Shimano TwinPower SW

Rate this topic

63 posts in this topic

On 5/14/2021 at 2:02 PM, ZAFisher said:

I'd swap any of my local fish for regular shots at 25lb baby tarpon.... 'Spose its a thing about greener grass and bluer waters?

Regarding Mag Seal: I cannot like it. I've tried.

Removed grit and bits of sea shell from behind a A/R bearing mag-seal. It was like a tiny sand castle

Ever since the introduction of magseal, I bought ONE Daiwa reel! And it was a hard to past deal on a Catalina 5000. If I can't service it, I will not buy it.

Posted (edited) · Report post

Just received 2021 TP SW 6000XG...love the color scheme, rigidity and smoothness.....weighs 14.5 oz with the carbon knob (takes the size B), slightly less than with the factory knob. Has long cast spool, 57.5 mm spool diameter at the lip and 19mm stroke.

20210605_151913.jpg

20210605_152018.jpg

20210605_152208.jpg

20210605_152251.jpg

Edited by dcast

21 hours ago, dcast said:

Just received 2021 TP SW 6000XG...love the color scheme, rigidity and smoothness.....weighs 14.5 oz with the carbon knob (takes the size B), slightly less than with the factory knob. Has long cast spool, 57.5 mm spool diameter at the lip and 19mm stroke.

20210605_151913.jpg

20210605_152018.jpg

20210605_152208.jpg

20210605_152251.jpg

Where did you get that knob? I just picked up an 8k and it’s sweet!

62C46BE6-AF3F-447C-99A0-229D639AF751.jpeg

The knob is carbon fiber from Wiki-Jigging...very high quality and only weigh 16gms.....they've apparently been discontinued as I keep checking availability and only places indicating they have them are places I would stay away from.

On 6/6/2021 at 4:21 PM, Fljettyrat said:

Where did you get that knob? I just picked up an 8k and it’s sweet!

62C46BE6-AF3F-447C-99A0-229D639AF751.jpeg

I also have 8000 HG spooled with 30 lbs braid, 400 meters. I had an issue with hour glass shape and humps top and bottom, that I think I can see those humps photo you posted. I took your photo an mine attaching below for comparison.

I completely unspooled mine and tried to build up the middle a little and spool with even pressure, same issue - photo is after re-spooling. I think I did not built up well enough.

Is this an issue? I browsed some youtube videos and some have something similar and others don't. Here are some photos. 

60c7825f535fc_linelay.png.92027730660ceb89fa576f20801bc342.png

60c78266d27a3_linelay2.png.e2b2ee2fda5ae20604dc4b794ddff70d.png

It should include shims to adjust the line lay. Also how are you spooling the reel since you are doing it yourself? Bumping the middle up is for older reels like a VS ment for mono and defiantly shouldn't be done here, shimano especially a TP should be almost perfect. 

I have extra shims, but the hump is both at top and bottom, not sure if it is to remove or add,  it can probably make one better and other worse. Also not sure if it will fix hour glass shape. I'm using Daiichi line Recycler, it allows adjustment to create tension on the spool when reeling it in. Worked great on another Shimano reel I have and reel is spooled tight, can't press into it. 

Did a full re-spool very tight gave best result. Few photos attached.

Very solid reel, feels very rigid and smooth, great sound. However, not sure this line lay is a feature of tp 8000 series or call for a swap. I also found another example on YouTube of previous 8000 tp sw model with similar hourglass shape and humps top and bottom. 

PXL_20210615_114503756~2.jpg

PXL_20210615_114243981~2.jpg

Does not look like a lot of people have this reel for comparison so I checked more youtube videos. It appears it is working as intended, may be a feature of Aero Wrap II and appears to happen on 8000 and above. Here is some photos, few of them are from older TP.

line lay 4.jpg

1 hour ago, Jig It said:

Does not look like a lot of people have this reel for comparison so I checked more youtube videos. It appears it is working as intended, may be a feature of Aero Wrap II and appears to happen on 8000 and above. Here is some photos, few of them are from older TP.

line lay 4.jpg

oh noooooo...8k and above?

but the first photo seem fine and the bottom 2nd from right is good too..

On 2021/06/14 at 6:23 PM, Jig It said:

I also have 8000 HG spooled with 30 lbs braid, 400 meters. I had an issue with hour glass shape and humps top and bottom, that I think I can see those humps photo you posted. I took your photo an mine attaching below for comparison.

What 30lb braid have you spooled up with?

I strongly suspect the reel reel is overfilled

Posted (edited) · Report post

6 hours ago, ZAFisher said:

What 30lb braid have you spooled up with?

I strongly suspect the reel reel is overfilled

This shape forms even mid filling, so it is not a result of over filling. I'm using varivas pe 3.

Since there are not many replies, I started looking for other referenced to understand if this is a bug or a feature. Japanese youtube blogger reviewing same model reel praising it, has same shape and did not show concerns about it, there is also japanese blog website I found, same shape on picture, no concerns raised, japanese tackle store putting line on the reel, similar shape - so I think this is a feature of TP.  Maybe related to type of line lay - on the youtube video by "JP DeRose" for TP21SW he explains Aero Wrap II that goes up and down at different speeds creating a criss cross pattern to help with line dig in on heavy drag and casting performance.

Performance wise reel is great and I'm very impressed. For a reel that's very solid and rigid, winding action is very light.

Edited by TimS
please don’t post links to social media channels - thanks