Inshore

NEW 2021 Shimano TwinPower SW

Rate this topic

63 posts in this topic

It has a 'chrome porthole' in the rotor, not often shown in pics of the reel so far. I don't like the 'chrome porthole'. I also don't think I like the gear ratio marked on the shoulder of the handle. But I think the reel mostly looks good. 

25 mins ago, Steg said:

It has a 'chrome porthole' in the rotor, not often shown in pics of the reel so far. I don't like the 'chrome porthole'. I also don't think I like the gear ratio marked on the shoulder of the handle. But I think the reel mostly looks good. 

See this is actual criticism.

"it's just a recolored spheros."

Is pretty fair, but lazy.

I'm personally a fan of reels with fewer colors, and more aesthetic synergy.

Unless it's an integral part (line roller, unpaintable screw, exposed gear) whose make requires a colored material - make it match damnit.

If you looking to choose between the smaller size (5000 or 6000) Stella SWC or the 2021 TwinPower SW, get the TwinPower! The Stella has quite a bit of play between the bail arm and the rotor. I was so set on getting the  Stella SwC, that I only changed my mind after feeling both reels in my hand. The TP is solid, rigid and smooth as hell. Honestly, if you close your eyes and turn the handles, you can't tell the difference between the 2 reels. The new TP also packs 95% of the features in the Stella, is lighter and overall feels better, so I couldn't justify paying so much extra  for the Stella (will only get more ball bearings and a a reel bag). 

5 hours ago, DP Fishing ZA said:

If you looking to choose between the smaller size (5000 or 6000) Stella SWC or the 2021 TwinPower SW, get the TwinPower! The Stella has quite a bit of play between the bail arm and the rotor. I was so set on getting the  Stella SwC, that I only changed my mind after feeling both reels in my hand. The TP is solid, rigid and smooth as hell. Honestly, if you close your eyes and turn the handles, you can't tell the difference between the 2 reels. The new TP also packs 95% of the features in the Stella, is lighter and overall feels better, so I couldn't justify paying so much extra  for the Stella (will only get more ball bearings and a a reel bag). 

You do, also get a service guarantee that's basically unmatched amongst tackle companies.

(Not necessarily saying that's worth the $$)

Posted (edited) · Report post

If you look on social media it seems like Shimano is shipping these things to every country but the US. And I don’t mean that in an elitist attitude, I just find it strange some small countries are stocked with every size already but the US which I would assume is a large market percentage has only trickled in a few 8000s and even fewer 14ks. 4-6 are 100% MIA. 

Edited by jk20a3

4 hours ago, Saltfruit said:

You do, also get a service guarantee that's basically unmatched amongst tackle companies.

(Not necessarily saying that's worth the $$)

We don't get the Platinum Service Plan in South Africa that you get in the USA.

9 hours ago, ZAFisher said:

We don't get the Platinum Service Plan in South Africa that you get in the USA.

:(

So. TP for you guys then? Or does daiwa service better over there?

Posted (edited) · Report post

59 mins ago, Saltfruit said:

:(

So. TP for you guys then? Or does daiwa service better over there?

Oh hell no, guys buy Stellas here, sometimes a full set of one of each size... (our prices reflect the "no service plan")

Mag Sealed was an on going argument for a while over here.

Local Daiwa AGENTS could not help. I mean. That's like Daiwa USA saying they can't help.

I'm looking forward to folks asking me to service MQ style Saltigas and me saying "No, please send to Japan as I am not allowed to buy a tool"

Edited by ZAFisher

1 hour ago, ZAFisher said:

Oh hell no, guys buy Stellas here, sometimes a full set of one of each size... (our prices reflect the "no service plan")

Mag Sealed was an on going argument for a while over here.

Local Daiwa AGENTS could not help. I mean. That's like Daiwa USA saying they can't help.

I'm looking forward to folks asking me to service MQ style Saltigas and me saying "No, please send to Japan as I am not allowed to buy a tool"

Omilord.

You do get much bigger fish, I can understand the Stella sets....

But magseal - ugh. I just cleaned out my Saltist back bay, that system is awful.

4 mins ago, Saltfruit said:

Omilord.

You do get much bigger fish, I can understand the Stella sets....

But magseal - ugh. I just cleaned out my Saltist back bay, that system is awful.

I'd swap any of my local fish for regular shots at 25lb baby tarpon.... 'Spose its a thing about greener grass and bluer waters?

Regarding Mag Seal: I cannot like it. I've tried.

Removed grit and bits of sea shell from behind a A/R bearing mag-seal. It was like a tiny sand castle

I know Australia gets a 10 year warranty instead of US "platinum service". Ashame they don't at least do that. I can't get into Magseal either, I've tried and tried because I love some of Daiwas reels. I watch alot of service videos and follow alot of international service guys on Instagram...seems no one likes it. I honestly think Daiwa pushed it so hard and went down the rabbit hole so deep with it that they are now stuck with using it. 

2 hours ago, ZAFisher said:

I'd swap any of my local fish for regular shots at 25lb baby tarpon.... 'Spose its a thing about greener grass and bluer waters?

Regarding Mag Seal: I cannot like it. I've tried.

Removed grit and bits of sea shell from behind a A/R bearing mag-seal. It was like a tiny sand castle

Tarpon, really?

How much Trevally fishing do you do?

I'd think even smaller Trevs would rival tarpon.

My dream is large Spanish off rocks. Sadly it isn't possible in my immediate area.

To revisit the nightmare of magseal:

It might be Daiwa's only consistent feature I dislike. I think they care more about fishing products than Shimano, but magseal is a black mark.