R.R. Bridge Fisher

New season

26 posts in this topic

Is anyone trying any new tactics this year or just sticking with what you have done in the past?

I was all in on trying the ned rig last season and ended up with just getting weeds on every cast. Looks like I'll be throwing salamanders rigged texas style this spring.

It works for me so i will stick to it.

I keep saying I will but never do but I might give float and fly a fair shot . 

On the fly side I gotta start using strike indicators more been getting my butt handed to me a lot lately , 

I'm buying some small wooden eggs and making some to use at the wachusett ahead of streamers. Going to try different color schemes to see if it makes a difference.

22 hours ago, KidDkivahh said:

On the fly side I gotta start using strike indicators more been getting my butt handed to me a lot lately , 

Maybe if things get back to normal when fishing heats up we can do some jonboat fishing at the club

22 hours ago, WorcBoy said:

I'm buying some small wooden eggs and making some to use at the wachusett ahead of streamers. Going to try different color schemes to see if it makes a difference.

Have you tried the clear plastic bobbers that you let water in for Weight?

16 mins ago, Surf bomber said:

Any tried and proven or tried and failed musky methods post ice out .... 

I will throw some large profiles at ice out as well...

Posted (edited) · Report post

I still haven't tried the ned rig. I bought a simple Strike King Ned Ocho pack to get started. 

I like the spinnerbait and paddle tail early in the year into the spring. I want to try those midsize brush hogs this season too!

Edited by MAGA

Target species...

I always kinda have a list running in the back of my head but have never put it on paper. Say, make a list of 10 or so native to your area and try to catch 1 of each in the year.

It could be challenging and educational to a skilled novice such as myself 

On 1/22/2021 at 6:34 AM, R.R. Bridge Fisher said:

Is anyone trying any new tactics this year or just sticking with what you have done in the past?

I was all in on trying the ned rig last season and ended up with just getting weeds on every cast. Looks like I'll be throwing salamanders rigged texas style this spring.

It works for me so i will stick to it.

Had the same results as you with the ned rig. I'm not sure a weedless ned head would help. I have however started using neko rigs on a limited basis last season, and I gotta say, they work.

I'll be adding more to my arsenal this season.

I also make assorted jigs, and really haven't mastered them yet. So this season after a fish or two hits the deck I'll be trying my swim jigs, and football jigs. Next up is punch baits. Without ice here the past few years, weed growth, especially coontail. has exploded on the lakes I fish. So along with jigs, heavy punch baits.

I will also be praying to the weather gods more. So many days ruined by crappy conditions, and bad forecasts.

Posted (edited) · Report post

On 1/22/2021 at 6:34 AM, R.R. Bridge Fisher said:

I was all in on trying the ned rig last season and ended up with just getting weeds on every cast.

I've been using these Flatlands Custom Tackle weedless Ned heads. These are 1/16 oz and have a 1/0 Gami EWG hook. They work great when you have to go weedless. I probably throw more shaky heads than Neds. Really like the Owner Ultrahead with a Zoom Trick worm.  Can't wait to throw this new Winch Toenail. Thinking about adding a 2nd spin outfit to the yak arsenal just for dropshotting . A- Rig is on my list of things to try along with a bunch of new soft plastics for DS, shaky, T-Rigs and jig trailers

IMG_2306.JPG

IMG_2301.JPG

IMG_2299.JPG

Edited by fishnbear

29 mins ago, fishnbear said:

I've been using these Flatlands Custom Tackle weedless Ned heads. These are 1/16 oz and have a 1/0 Gami EWG hook. They work great when you have to go weedless. I probably throw more shaky heads than Neds. Really like the Owner Ultrahead with a Zoom Trick worm.  Can't wait to throw this new Winch Toenail. Thinking about adding a 2nd spin outfit to the yak arsenal just for dropshotting . A- Rig is on my list of things to try along with a bunch of new soft plastics for DS, shaky, T-Rigs and jig trailers

IMG_2306.JPG

IMG_2301.JPG

IMG_2299.JPG

Please tell me more about that sweet looking metal lip plug.  I’d love to add one to my rotation.

On 1/23/2021 at 9:40 AM, R.R. Bridge Fisher said:

Maybe if things get back to normal when fishing heats up we can do some jonboat fishing at the club

Have you tried the clear plastic bobbers that you let water in for Weight?

I will throw some large profiles at ice out as well...

Man I truly would love to see normal again last year was horrid . If it weren't for the fact ( 99% ) of my bassing is done at night I would have done very little fishing at all. I'm hopeful this all turns around soon . 

On 1/22/2021 at 11:29 AM, KidDkivahh said:

OK it didn't take long to get over the fly and float . I was looking for ideas for flies and looks like it's pretty much a light weight jig thing . Lost interest real quick cuz I'm not buying tungsten of substitutes on a whim . I used to tie flies for a guy at work to his patterns that he did well with. For the life of me cant remember the construction method of them. No big deal like a said I might try. No big deal wasn't about to buy any specialized rods to try either . 

I'm still going to use strike indicators more though even though I don't care for them.