jhndoe

Scallop foam

Rate this topic

15 posts in this topic

Bought some imported bay scallops cheap.  I know. Get what ya pay for but I couldn’t resist. I was told there were no added ingredients like Sodium trypolyphosphate.  Never seen this cooking scallops.  Nothing but olive oil in a carbon steel pan that has never seen soap 

09103282-B679-4D03-A136-78163EE7DC06.jpeg

D2B15AE5-D6A5-4853-BD93-A2BEBFF3F819.jpeg

Not sure what happened there. Maybe you poured some liquid from the packaging in there?

Was the oil hot before you put them in? It should be slightly smoking hot. The pan looks a bit crowded as well.

I'm not meaning to be over critical, just thinking about possible reasons.

1 hour ago, jhndoe said:

Bought some imported bay scallops cheap.  I know. Get what ya pay for but I couldn’t resist. I was told there were no added ingredients like Sodium trypolyphosphate.  Never seen this cooking scallops.  Nothing but olive oil in a carbon steel pan that has never seen soap 

09103282-B679-4D03-A136-78163EE7DC06.jpeg

D2B15AE5-D6A5-4853-BD93-A2BEBFF3F819.jpeg

Having been a "seafood processor" for several decades I can tell you 100% that most products you buy from China, Asia (in general) and South America are adulterated to the maximum amount allowed by The FDA to keep them from being required to put it on the label. "The industry" itself pushes lobbyists to pay lawmakers to allow this. If all lobbyists were removed from government then we would start to have true representation of our best interests.

5 mins ago, Seakarp said:

Not sure what happened there. Maybe you poured some liquid from the packaging in there?

Was the oil hot before you put them in? It should be slightly smoking hot. The pan looks a bit crowded as well.

I'm not meaning to be over critical, just thinking about possible reasons.

I rinsed them and dried them  pan was very hot.  I know it was crowed but they were visibly dry. I did not eat them.  They are going back to Hanna Ford    I just don’t want anyone else to run into this with these scallops

Looks like overcrowding to me.  

Causes a rapid cooling of the pan. Which causes the waters to not evaporate as fast and the proteins coagulate like you see here.  

If you were to take the red meat juice from a steak or the amber juice from a chicken and drop it into a pan of boiling water, you will see a similar situation. 

Wether or not they were actually dry scallops I do not know. But I will say I've never seen imported dry bay scallops.  Especially cheap ones.   

41 mins ago, Angler #1 said:

Did you eat them?  Peace and Prayers

Amen. 

If your not paying near or over $20 a pound, your likely getting the treated scallops. Dry scallops are sweet and not uniformed in color or size specifically. Some will be orangeish, some rounder and some are shaped like inbred human heads. 

I would have tasted one after that effort but would have tossed them too. Never saw that!

1 hour ago, Highlander1 said:

Amen. 

If your not paying near or over $20 a pound, your likely getting the treated scallops. Dry scallops are sweet and not uniformed in color or size specifically. Some will be orangeish, some rounder and some are shaped like inbred human heads. 

I would have tasted one after that effort but would have tossed them too. Never saw that!

been buying them straight off the boat fo $15/pound since May. If you live near the coast or are up for a drive, many local fisherman are selling their catches direct. Skip the middle man and support local families at the same time :th::th: 

Those were injected with salt water before freezing

Made that same mistake myself - By the time I got some browning they were like little leather balls

1 hour ago, Sudsy said:

Those were injected with salt water before freezing

Made that same mistake myself - By the time I got some browning they were like little leather balls

What he said. 

No doubt they were soaked to increase their weight.   When they hit the heat they gave off all that liquid.

also check out reds best if you don't live near the coast or feel like traveling. they are delivering fresh caught seafood. amazing quality

6 hours ago, bradW said:

been buying them straight off the boat fo $15/pound since May. If you live near the coast or are up for a drive, many local fisherman are selling their catches direct. Skip the middle man and support local families at the same time :th::th: 

Not to spot burn. But where and when on the scallops? Sounds like a great idea for the fisherman and the consumer.

Thanks

3 hours ago, K Foley said:

Not to spot burn. But where and when on the scallops? Sounds like a great idea for the fisherman and the consumer.

Thanks

We get them in Fairhaven as well as Lobster. They had a boat with Lobster for tomorrow $7.50/lb. you need to sign up the day before.