Mark L

Yo-zuri minnows

Rate this topic

26 posts in this topic

I’m looking at their crystal minnow freshwater 4-3/8” to fit early spring/late fall schoolies. Can someone tell me if they hold up well to saltwater? Plan on changing the hardware out, they make some interesting colors. Thanks for the help in advance. 

They hold up, but don’t cast well.  I use that size out of the kayak for bonito and albies.  I’ll occasionally drag them around and pick up schoolies, blues and just about anything else around.

Posted (edited) · Report post

They don't cast great as Fitzy said but I have caught fish on them. Personally, I think they're better for trolling around in a kayak when smaller profile bait are around. I use 4-1/8 inch yozuri mag darters in the spring and have done very well catching early spring stripers with them. Has a weight transfer system in them which helps with casting distance. Also, hooks are razor sharp out of the package no need to change them.

Edited by Inception

As already mentioned 2x above, I agree they're better for dragging around behind the yak.. I'll usually toss one out the back if I've got a good run ahead of me.. in that measure they catch.. other than that, there are better options IMO.. 

Mini mag darters (already mentioned above)....

Mini bombers...

Jerkbaits (duo, megabass, jackall)...

Small xraps...

And some small soft plastics on occasion... 

Here's a pic of one of my spring boxes..

20210121_234601.jpg.6ece0778666a73ff2ed8e51eff4605b3.jpg20210121_234634.jpg.33fb5cabda315bf7aaf423f2ae26fb58.jpg

Posted (edited) · Report post

I found the Crystal Minnows cast /catch well for smaller fish. On par with the 6" loaded Bomber, I only fished them loaded

Edited by SC

7 hours ago, Beachglass Guru said:

As already mentioned 2x above, I agree they're better for dragging around behind the yak.. I'll usually toss one out the back if I've got a good run ahead of me.. in that measure they catch.. other than that, there are better options IMO.. 

Mini bombers...

Small xraps...

20210121_234601.jpg.6ece0778666a73ff2ed8e51eff4605b3.jpg20210121_234634.jpg.33fb5cabda315bf7aaf423f2ae26fb58.jpg

I love the selections in this box. Question for you - I see the dart spin soft plastic. I had a lot of success in the spring on it when the fish were finicky. I keep my gear in plastic containers like this in milk crates in my trunk all year. Come July all my dart spins had melted and disformed while all my other soft plastics were fine. Did you notice this? Anyone else. Pretty disappointing as they aren't cheap. 

2 hours ago, FlukeOff said:

I love the selections in this box. Question for you - I see the dart spin soft plastic. I had a lot of success in the spring on it when the fish were finicky. I keep my gear in plastic containers like this in milk crates in my trunk all year. Come July all my dart spins had melted and disformed while all my other soft plastics were fine. Did you notice this? Anyone else. Pretty disappointing as they aren't cheap. 

Mine did the same thing stored in boxes in the basement. I took the spin off the tails and put them on docked paddletails. I won't buy the dart spins again. 

11 hours ago, Beachglass Guru said:

Mini bombers...

Small xraps...

Great selection.............if I may ask, what are your size ranges here for out front in the surf?  Also what's your go to spring rod/reel set-up for tossing them?

I use them all the time.  The only time they don't last is when you lose them.  

I replace the hooks when needed, but other then that I love them.  

I cast and troll them behind the boat.and in the Yak. Have caught some fish up to 36'' on them.

In the spring I like the purple back with silver belly. I like the sinking model for trolling for black Sea Bass. The sinker gets down a little deeper and the sea bass love them. 

The Sea Bass like to stay closer to the bottom.

I like the floaters for Stripers and Blues. Blue, Black, Red and yellow all  seem to work.  The price of them is going up lately. I'm glad I have a good supply on hand. 

and thats why a lot of guys use the SP minnows.  Their cheeper , but work well also. 

4 hours ago, FlukeOff said:

Yea they melt.. The green one has a small spot where it must have touched something it didn't like and started to deform a bit.. when I buy soft plastics and they do this I won't be bothered keeping them all isolated, I just won't buy them again.. they must be ok in this specific plastic though, bc they haven't moved from that spot since last spring..

Zmans are the worst.  I have a few packs left in the kayak box. That's where they'll stay until they're gone.. I see guys who have overhauled their bait storage to accommodate melting plastics. I could never be bothered to do that.. :shrug:

1 hour ago, yogiiiboy said:

Great selection.............if I may ask, what are your size ranges here for out front in the surf?  Also what's your go to spring rod/reel set-up for tossing them?

In all honesty I've almost completely stopped fishing for bass.. I didn't bother more than once or twice last season, and I can't see myself having any interest this coming year at all. I'll poke around for holdovers a bit in winter when no one else is out fishing, but once the weather warms up a bit I'm done.. 

This box got touched once or twice last year for some holdovers way before the season opened.. but after that I more or less just stopped bass fishing.. this stuff, and the rest of my 5 tons of bass gear will likely collect dust for a few years until I see what the future of this fishery looks like..

When I did go out looking for them in years past, I barely, if ever fish the front in spring.

Those strategic anglers cast like a missile and work great in the suds.. as do those JDM sub surface darter style minnows (top left of second pic).. and smaller rapalas that are in there too (covered by other stuff)...

Rod and reel should match the tackle and location your fishing.. there's nothing over ¾ maybe 1 ounce getting tossed, so light combo is preferred.. shorter rod in the back, something longer if your on the front.. I've got a dozen or more different combos that fit the bill from 7' -10', never had any one specific go2.. 

18 mins ago, Beachglass Guru said:

In all honesty I've almost completely stopped fishing for bass.. I didn't bother more than once or twice last season, and I can't see myself having any interest this coming year at all. I'll poke around for holdovers a bit in winter when no one else is out fishing, but once the weather warms up a bit I'm done.. 

This box got touched once or twice last year for some holdovers way before the season opened.. but after that I more or less just stopped bass fishing.. this stuff, and the rest of my 5 tons of bass gear will likely collect dust for a few years until I see what the future of this fishery looks like..

When I did go out looking for them in years past, I barely, if ever fish the front in spring.

Those strategic anglers cast like a missile and work great in the suds.. as do those JDM sub surface darter style minnows (top left of second pic).. and smaller rapalas that are in there too (covered by other stuff)...

Rod and reel should match the tackle and location your fishing.. there's nothing over ¾ maybe 1 ounce getting tossed, so light combo is preferred.. shorter rod in the back, something longer if your on the front.. I've got a dozen or more different combos that fit the bill from 7' -10', never had any one specific go2.. 

Yeah.....i find that my 7'6" Avid Inshore (up to 3/4 oz.) set-up shines with lighter lures up front.  Damn near eclipse 100 yards with a 1/2 oz. Kastmaster.

Can you tell me your experience with the "smaller" x-raps?  What kind of distance have you experienced with them?  I'm assuming we're talking about the no. 10 size (7/16 oz.)?

Thanks.

1 hour ago, Beachglass Guru said:

Yea they melt.. The green one has a small spot where it must have touched something it didn't like and started to deform a bit.. when I buy soft plastics and they do this I won't be bothered keeping them all isolated, I just won't buy them again.. they must be ok in this specific plastic though, bc they haven't moved from that spot since last spring..

Zmans are the worst.  I have a few packs left in the kayak box. That's where they'll stay until they're gone.. I see guys who have overhauled their bait storage to accommodate melting plastics. I could never be bothered to do that.. :shrug:

Agreed on the Zmans however they seem to melt due to a chemical reaction with other types of plastic. The dart spins melted due to heat, at least in my case. Completely fine until weather warmed up and then they turned into a gooey mess.....a couple even melted while still in the original packaging.