Sporto10003

Snag Treble Hooks

Rate this topic

21 posts in this topic

So with the new circle hook requirements snagging fish with a treble snag hook is okay as long as we don't leave it in as bait?   

5 mins ago, Sporto10003 said:

So with the new circle hook requirements snagging fish with a treble snag hook is okay as long as we don't leave it in as bait?   

I'm pretty sure snag and drop is banned with the new regs

Posted (edited) · Report post

5 hours ago, JTR said:

Interesting. That’s new. It was allowed last year.

Snag and drop wasn’t allowed last year, there were just a lot of people choosing to ignore the rule or quoting what they heard through word of mouth.  That text has been up on the Mass DMF site in the frequently asked questions since the beginning of the season last year.  

I quoted the same text last August in this thread:

Edited by Fitzy

1 hour ago, Fitzy said:

Snag and drop wasn’t allowed last year, there were just a lot of people choosing to ignore the rule or quoting what they heard through word of mouth.  That text has been up on the Mass DMF site in the frequently asked questions since the beginning of the season last year.  

I would have sworn there was a snag and drop exemption to the circle hook law.

On 1/21/2021 at 6:00 PM, JTR said:

What state are we talking about? MA has a circle hook mandate, but allows for the snag and drop exception.

That's going to change this season.  At least, as of the last ASMFC meeting, which eliminated all exceptions.

On 1/22/2021 at 7:19 AM, Fitzy said:

It was permitted on for-hire boats, which were exempt from the circle hook requirement.  But unless things change again, that exemption will not apply going forward.

13 mins ago, CWitek said:

It was permitted on for-hire boats, which were exempt from the circle hook requirement.  But unless things change again, that exemption will not apply going forward.

You’re right.  For-hire boats are still listed as an exemption, but hopefully that changes.  The for-hire captain’s arguments against circle hooks are ridiculous.  

6 mins ago, Fitzy said:

You’re right.  For-hire boats are still listed as an exemption, but hopefully that changes.  The for-hire captain’s arguments against circle hooks are ridiculous.  

The ASMFC shot down the Massachusetts for-hire exemption last October, beginning in the 2021 season.  Unless they reconsider that vote when they meet next month--which could but hopefully won't happen, as the states respond to concerns over using circle hooks in pork rind, rigged eels, tube and worm, etc.--for-hires in Massachusetts will live under the same circle hook rules as everyone else in the coming season.