bnz

Surf rod build questions...

Rate this topic

8 posts in this topic

Just purchased a 10'-10"  2 piece surf casting blank for my rod builder to put together for me.  Like my other rod builds will be going with Fuji DPS reel seat and using MNSG guides.  My question is this, with it being my first surf rod, how long of a rear grip and fore grip do you like on your surf rods? 

Rod is:

• Length - 10' 10" 2pc
  • Line - 10-15
  • Lure - 3/8-3/4oz
  • Action - F
  • Butt Dia. -  .545
  • Tip Tip -  4
  • Blank WT - 3.90oz

Will be a spinner and used  for pompano and bull red drum fishing.

Totally up to you. That’s what makes it custom.  For me if it’s conventional and a heaver I like 28” to the middle of the seat.  If it’s plugging the more like 25”

Tape the reel and guides on the blank and test it for fit, balance and comfort before you commit to anything with epoxy.

-steve

Personal preference. 

I like my foregrip about 8” with spiral cork under heat shrink. 

19”-26” for rear grip depending on what the rod is used for and how long the rod is. 

the good thing about a two piece rod, is that it would be easier and less expensive if you don’t like the grip setup and want to change it. 

3 hours ago, bnz said:

Just purchased a 10'-10"  2 piece surf casting blank for my rod builder to put together for me.  Like my other rod builds will be going with Fuji DPS reel seat and using MNSG guides.  My question is this, with it being my first surf rod, how long of a rear grip and fore grip do you like on your surf rods? 

Rod is:

• Length - 10' 10" 2pc
  • Line - 10-15
  • Lure - 3/8-3/4oz
  • Action - F
  • Butt Dia. -  .545
  • Tip Tip -  4
  • Blank WT - 3.90oz

Will be a spinner and used  for pompano and bull red drum fishing.

Your rod builder should help you determine a comfortable butt length.  That's part of the build process. Why MNSG guides? With as light of a blank you should run single foot K guides, keep the weight down on the build and make the rod crisper. Throwing the light weights that you will be you'll want the top as responsive as possible 

1 hour ago, AFMike said:

Your rod builder should help you determine a comfortable butt length.  That's part of the build process. Why MNSG guides? With as light of a blank you should run single foot K guides, keep the weight down on the build and make the rod crisper. Throwing the light weights that you will be you'll want the top as responsive as possible 

The first half of the blank will be MNSG double foot transitioning to single foot runners the second half.  Have a popping rod with K guides and haven’t noticed any difference or advantage.   Just a personal preference. Like the durability of MNSG. I can be rough on my gear.