dannyplug1

LOOKING FOR THE BIGGEST HAIR STACKER

Rate this topic

15 posts in this topic

looking for the biggest hari stacker made.  doing large deer hair and bucktails and the bigger the better.  saw one on white tail fly tying looks like it might work.  any suggestions charlie

Share this post


Link to post
Share on other sites

The renzetti magnum is big but it is still only 3 1/2 inches tall. 

For bucktail I just do it by hand because I want some taper. I don’t want all the tips even. 

 

Share this post


Link to post
Share on other sites

Cigar tubes work pretty well to stack bucktail. To be honest, i would stack BT because it helps get rid of those short crap hairs. You're not tying a dry fly wing with bucktail there's no need to stack it perfectly. 

Share this post


Link to post
Share on other sites

I believe the biggest commercial stacker is the Peak magnum hex (won't roll) stacker.  They are solid aluminum and will set you back about $50.  I've had one for ten years or so and it was the same price then.

Share this post


Link to post
Share on other sites
36 mins ago, JohnDe said:

I believe the biggest commercial stacker is the Peak magnum hex (won't roll) stacker.  They are solid aluminum and will set you back about $50.  I've had one for ten years or so and it was the same price then.

Yes, biggest that I know of. Still pretty much the same price. 

Share this post


Link to post
Share on other sites

Posted (edited) · Report post

You can buy thin walled brass tubing and make your own.I've made one 1 1/2" id. You can buy feet of the tubing close the cost of a fancy one.Look at " On line metals.com .Also used to punch out foam blanks for poppers.:howdy:

Edited by theshadow

Share this post


Link to post
Share on other sites
23 hours ago, dannyplug1 said:

looking for the biggest hari stacker made.  doing large deer hair and bucktails and the bigger the better.  saw one on white tail fly tying looks like it might work.  any suggestions charlie

Just curious. What do you mean by "doing large deer hair and bucktails"? And by "biggest hair stacker" do you refer to diameter, height or both? 

Share this post


Link to post
Share on other sites
22 hours ago, Kml said:

The renzetti magnum is big but it is still only 3 1/2 inches tall. 

For bucktail I just do it by hand because I want some taper. I don’t want all the tips even. 

 

:agree:

Share this post


Link to post
Share on other sites

Posted (edited) · Report post

1 hour ago, dannyplug1 said:

Wide

Thank you but I'm still curious as it means you're stacking very big (up to what? 1/2" thick?) pinches of bucktail hair or deer body hair. What do you do with those (jigs?) and more so if it's body hair?

Edited by Suave
Typo

Share this post


Link to post
Share on other sites
20 mins ago, dannyplug1 said:

Wide

Try making your own.  some piping of different diamaters might work well.  You can also cut to watever length you want. 

Share this post


Link to post
Share on other sites

Try the arbor of a empty roll of toilette paper.

Place it on a table top, insert the bucktails and press down on it till they are all level.

Squeeze the cardboard when you want to pick up.

Share this post


Link to post
Share on other sites
23 hours ago, theshadow said:

You can buy thin walled brass tubing and make your own.I've made one 1 1/2" id. You can buy feet of the tubing close the cost of a fancy one.Look at " On line metals.com .Also used to punch out foam blanks for poppers.:howdy:

This! 


You can make any size diameter/length you want and cheep. Home Depot/Lowes have materials too. 

Share this post


Link to post
Share on other sites

Create an account or sign in to comment

You need to register here in order to participate.

Create an account

Sign up for a new account in our community. It's easy!


Register a new account

Sign in

Already have an account? Sign in here.


Sign In Now

  • Recently Browsing   0 members

    No registered users viewing this page.