Reed422

Mountain Bike Thread

Rate this topic

31 posts in this topic

11 mins ago, Reed422 said:

Under $500 go.

Used for the best value, but if you're wanting to go new, Schwinn Boundary, Schwinn Taff, Nishiki Colorado.

Dicks sells a GT Aggressor Pro 29er That's a somewhat decent starting platform that can be upgraded a little at a time. 

For just a bit more, I'd go with the Trek Marlin 5.

Look at the Trek Verve, I was able to get an older Verve 2 in June or July. Had to drive and meet a guy in Auburn off CL. Paid 350 in the madness and shortage of new bikes. Bike was like new. I wanted something I could be upright on to rehab a knee replacement. Extra cushy seat with shock absorber and adjustable stem. I was surprised that I needed a 17.5 inch frame. I have short legs... Just one guys input and will depend on what you intend to do. Mine will never see a mountain and likely not a "trail" in the true sense.

1 min ago, slicedcornbread said:

Used for the best value, but if you're wanting to go new, Schwinn Boundary, Schwinn Taff, Nishiki Colorado.

Dicks sells a GT Aggressor Pro 29er That's a somewhat decent starting platform that can be upgraded a little at a time. 

This^^^^  Facebook has a couple of good groups to buy and sell in.  It's all Facebook is good for anymore.

The supply chain wrt bikes is in pretty bad shape now and will keep getting worse from what my shop owner friend told me.  If you find something in your size at a shop grab it or it will be gone quick. 

12 mins ago, slicedcornbread said:

what do I get with the marlin that I don't get with a cheaper bike? I don't mind a hundred bucks more just not looking to drop a grand.

1 min ago, Reed422 said:

what do I get with the marlin that I don't get with a cheaper bike? I don't mind a hundred bucks more just not looking to drop a grand.

Better drive train components and better front suspension. Just better components overall.

Most shops have demos. If you rent a demo ask if they will apply that rent $ on a bike purchase. I rode a handful of demos before picking the ride one. Hardtails will be in that price range, so dont test out full suspension bikes or you'll never go back.

11 mins ago, MitchellNJ said:

For ****'s sake. If I ever respond with an actual answer to someone asking a question that ends with ****mned "go", shoot me.

coming in hot!

Used. My "new" winter beater; 2003 Haro ExtremeX1 $100. I was rebuilding an old Marzocchi AM2 shock I had so I got 150mm travel for free there. Added an Xfusion air shock for $65 shipped and a used pair of Nokian studded tires for $50. $215 for a 5" travel bike, a little heavy but way better than a big box for half the price.