Spigola

8 N bait questions

Rate this topic

30 posts in this topic

It's been a long time since I chucked bait on the beach but am considering starting up again on the Jersey beaches.  Much easier on my old bones than constantly casting when nothing is showing and during the warmer months.

If I can't find a good Newell, which I used to use, I am considering a Penn Fathom in the appropriate size with probably 20# mono and a shock up front.

In earlier years we used Lamiglas honey blanks that started around 13' but were cut down to 11'.  What is a decent 10 or 11 foot parabolic rod that will toss up to say 8 oz, with bait, and won't break the bank?  Say up to about $300. 

Thanks for the responses.

Posted (edited) · Report post

I has been many year since I tossed 8 ounces but when I did I use my squidder or my 155.. Nowadays the maximum I toss is 5 ounces wearing finger protection for my thumb or forefinger... I have been using cutoff fingers from leaking rubber dishwashing gloves...

Edited by sytheteacher

19 mins ago, Spigola said:

It's been a long time since I chucked bait on the beach but am considering starting up again on the Jersey beaches.  Much easier on my old bones than constantly casting when nothing is showing and during the warmer months.

If I can't find a good Newell, which I used to use, I am considering a Penn Fathom in the appropriate size with probably 20# mono and a shock up front.

In earlier years we used Lamiglas honey blanks that started around 13' but were cut down to 11'.  What is a decent 10 or 11 foot parabolic rod that will toss up to say 8 oz, with bait, and won't break the bank?  Say up to about $300. 

I actually use the honey Lami as my main chunker.  For tossing soft baits like bunker it’s phenomenal.  I use it with either a Squidder, Mag Power or my favorite, a Daiwa Seagate.  The Seagate is a super reel that casts great and is much less expensive than the Newell reels.

Take a look at Penn Battalion rods, there a composite blank with fuji guides  and the price is about half of what your looking to spend.. lots of good reviews. you might have to go to a 12' rod for the weight your tossing. use the extra dough on the reel. 

1 min ago, dawgfsh said:

Do you still have any of the Newells and have you ever fished at Hatteras ?

Never fished Hatteras and if I had a Newell I wouldn't be on the lookout for a reel.

Hi Spig I still use my 11'-6" Lami GSB & Newell combo for my rare chunkin' sessions, so can't offer you any great advice as to newer alternatives.  But I do have an 11'-6"  Tica 2-piece that I consider a good "lightweight" 8 n bait stick - it's the UEHA735002C.  I say lightweight because it's not as beefy as the GSB but still tosses chunks just fine.  I use it as a travel rod primarily for vacationing on the Jersey shore in the summer.  Whatever you do land on, be sure it can handle a decent sized shark.  As I'm sure you're aware, they're all over the place during the summer months on the shore.  Hope you're well & good luck!

4 hours ago, Spigola said:

I found a great used honey lami 3-4 years back on the bst. I still have it but don’t get much use. All my reels are Newell’s and if you can’t find one penn is a good option. I don’t usually sell any of my stuff I only buy what I use. The lami was a new build and I think I paid about 125 which was a steal. I think it was 125 possibly a little more. 

Posted (edited) · Report post

I just got the new 12ft Penn Battalion 6-12 rod, it requires a good bit of force to load, which is fine if you are younger. The 12ft 4-10 rod should be up your alley though.

I am consider getting that rod to just to see what it is like.

Edited by Beastly Backlash

39 mins ago, hydraman said:

I found a great used honey lami 3-4 years back on the bst. I still have it but don’t get much use. All my reels are Newell’s and if you can’t find one penn is a good option. I don’t usually sell any of my stuff I only buy what I use. The lami was a new build and I think I paid about 125 which was a steal. I think it was 125 possibly a little more. 

what is the length of that lami and what will it handle?