Beachglass Guru

DIY material help please..

Rate this topic

21 posts in this topic

I need some help finding an appropriate material for a little project I'm working on..

I'm looking for sheets/rolls of the material used for making vinyl squids (hoochies).. I need it in a glow green and pink..

I have googled every freaking possible thing I can think of and nada... 

Its late, I'm tired.. I'm sure I'm missing something... every single search I do for vinyl sheets, glow diy vinyl, glow craft vinyl.. It all just gives me adhesive vinyl or htv, neither of which will work..

I did find some vinyl sheets for offshore trolling skirts, but it all had some sort of fabric backing and won't suit my needs.. and it wasn't available in glow colors..

Sheets or a roll would be fine, I can cut it to size.. strips, stands or strings would be better assuming they are small enough..

I've found glowing gimp cord/string in appropriate colors. But it's too stiff. I really need the softer vinyl that used in the squid teasers..

I'm stumped :shrug:

So I need a little help. One of you fine folks must have come across something like this..

Thanks..

1 hour ago, Beachglass Guru said:

I need some help finding an appropriate material for a little project I'm working on..

I'm looking for sheets/rolls of the material used for making vinyl squids (hoochies).. I need it in a glow green and pink..

I have googled every freaking possible thing I can think of and nada... 

Its late, I'm tired.. I'm sure I'm missing something... every single search I do for vinyl sheets, glow diy vinyl, glow craft vinyl.. It all just gives me adhesive vinyl or htv, neither of which will work..

I did find some vinyl sheets for offshore trolling skirts, but it all had some sort of fabric backing and won't suit my needs.. and it wasn't available in glow colors..

Sheets or a roll would be fine, I can cut it to size.. strips, stands or strings would be better assuming they are small enough..

I've found glowing gimp cord/string in appropriate colors. But it's too stiff. I really need the softer vinyl that used in the squid teasers..

I'm stumped :shrug:

So I need a little help. One of you fine folks must have come across something like this..

Thanks..

Try fishing skirts dot com...ask them

4 hours ago, Wire For Fire said:

Sounds like you looking for glow I. The dark ?? 

not sure if they have that but search WTP fishing and the link will come up 

Yes glow in the dark is what I'm hoping to find..

Ive used the wtp lure tape before.. good quality.. I just took a poke around their website again but no dice, unfortunately..

I appreciate the suggestion 

I'm really hoping to find the same material the little squid are made of.  I've been cutting up little squid by the dozens, and I'm sure there must be a better way 

20210121_124340.jpg

I think what you want is plastisol resin. It comes in various densities from nearly hard to floppy rubber worm. You can buy glow powder as an additive. Riddler has a thread on using this material.

Just now, gellfex said:

I think what you want is plastisol resin. It comes in various densities from nearly hard to floppy rubber worm. You can buy glow powder as an additive. Riddler has a thread on using this material.

Thank you... I'm going to look into that right now 

Posted (edited) · Report post

Look up dragon skin fx 2 part resin...add The glow powder of your choice.. The Stuart semple glowiest glow is pretty good. Overpriced but I know how bright and how long it will last. 

Dragon skin is very tough... Far tougher than plastsol that's used for soft baits.. No microwave needed. 

20201124_222109.jpg

20201124_222143.jpg

Edited by scoobydoo

Just now, scoobydoo said:

Look up dragon skin fx 2 part resin... 

I sent that website you mentioned last night an email.. fingers crossed..

I'll check this out rn.. 

Thank you man.  Appreciated

6 mins ago, scoobydoo said:

Look up dragon skin fx 2 part resin...add The glow powder of your choice.. The Stuart semple glowiest glow is pretty good. Overpriced but I know how bright and how long it will last. 

Dragon skin is very tough... Far tougher than plastsol that's used for soft baits.. No microwave needed. 

20201124_222109.jpg

20201124_222143.jpg

Those look awesome... Did you make them?

4 mins ago, Beachglass Guru said:

I sent that website you mentioned last night an email.. fingers crossed..

I'll check this out rn.. 

Thank you man.  Appreciated

Cool... The dragons skin fx is an alternative to pouring liquid plastic.  

FYI splash bar makers had shortages and supply issues a few times this year from what I was told... Couldn't get squids... Keep that feather in your cap in your search 

Just now, Beachglass Guru said:

Those look awesome... Did you make them?

Yeah.... Took about as long to make em as to type the post. 

Epic bait molds makes the 3 piece machined alu open top mold... 6".. It's like 100 bucks 

Just now, scoobydoo said:

Yeah.... Took about as long to make em as to type the post. 

Epic bait molds makes the 3 piece machined alu open top mold... 6".. It's like 100 bucks 

Really nice work ... No surprise .. haha..

I have that LIT glow pigment.. and jesus if I get one more spam email from stewart sample I'm gonna pop.. haha..

looking at the dragon skin now...

I would need to pour it in super thin sheets and cut the strands to size..

Tying about 200 assist hooks..

20210121_143514.jpg

20210121_143435.jpg

Posted (edited) · Report post

@scoobydoo When I wrote this post, half in the bag at almost 2am and I'm snipping squid tenticales.  I was thinking you'd probably have some creative ideas..

I legitimately had the scooby doo where r u theme song in my head...

Thank you for the help..

Edited by Beachglass Guru