FISH BUCKET

Removing l/w from lexa

Rate this topic

25 posts in this topic

Posted (edited) · Report post

The top bar will get in the way regardless - the line has to go under it or you take the line over the top and as line level drops it will touch the top of the bar.

I've done surgery on a 200 size Shimano LP for field use tossing 18g casting plugs.

Daiwa Lexa line path.jpg

Edited by ZAFisher

Yes, the top bars of most LP casters are a limiting factor, but no where near as limiting as the level wind itself.

All this said, I'd leave the Lexa as is, and get a round reel such as an Abu 5500 C3 ($120) or CatfishPro 600 ($69/shipped - what a great value!), and completely remove the level wind.  While the cage and spool are apart, remove the spool bearings and soak in naphtha (lighter fluid), dry off, put a tiny drop of good bearing oil (TS-321 or Rocket Fuel red) onto each bearing side plate (it'll suck into the balls), replace the bearings.  If the centrifugal spool brakes are dual, engage both.  If it's the newer six brake system, start off with 4 engaged and test.  With my last 5500 and CatfishPro I also added a mono mag and totally ditched the centrifugal brakes. ;)

20210121_081024.jpg

20210121_081044.jpg

9.jpg

12.jpg

Edited by BeachBob

Will the level wind worm disengage when the spool is set free? 

If not, centering the LW won't matter a fig.

13 mins ago, cheech said:

Leave the LW in the middle when you cast.

Line lay will be horrible of you leave it in the middle even if you manage to disable the worm gear

IF the guide guide is centered and is disengaged during free spool, it will reengage when out of free spool.

You don't just remove the level wind worm and guide, you need to also remove the gearing found in the side plate.  Not doing so means that even if the level wind worm and line guide are removed, the spool will still be turning the the gears associated with the level wind = lotsa distance robbing drag.

I asked myself the same question a while  back. went down to my practice field and hit a few casts, 3oz bank sinker 12'6" sling shot 1505. 430' to 450'. went back home and removed theLW. back at the field an hour later, same results, 430 and 440'. trying to wind the line back evenly was a PITA. also removing LW left a hole in the frame for saltwater to go straight inside. When it comes to abus different story,possibly because of synchronized LW versus  non synchronized

1 hour ago, Jcallaham said:

I asked myself the same question a while  back. went down to my practice field and hit a few casts, 3oz bank sinker 12'6" sling shot 1505. 430' to 450'. went back home and removed theLW. back at the field an hour later, same results, 430 and 440'. trying to wind the line back evenly was a PITA. also removing LW left a hole in the frame for saltwater to go straight inside. When it comes to abus different story,possibly because of synchronized LW versus  non synchronized

Did you also remove the LW gears that engage the spool?  If not, do it and retest yer throws.

Those cage holes are plugged with a bit of electrical tape.  A bit more permanent fix, after doing the outside taping of the holes, is to fill those holes inside with epoxy.

24 mins ago, BeachBob said:

Did you also remove the LW gears that engage the spool?  If not, do it and retest yer throws.

LW gears do not engage the spool on the Lexa and the Tranx; they engage on the main gear, so makes no difference.

Tranx' free spool rivals my Ambassadeur round reels

Big ABU (and now Penn) LP's and the Okuma Komodo; now there I can see it making a difference as the LW is non-disengaging and is driven by the spool

But the line under the front cross bar = drag/friction against a surface that is not as smooth and hard as the ceramic line guide.

I would be concerned about damage to the line

5 hours ago, BeachBob said:

Will the level wind worm disengage when the spool is set free? 

If not, centering the LW won't matter a fig.

The worm does not spin when the spool is set free. so centering is best

Edited by ZAFisher

Pull the l w out of a Abu 6500 leave the mags either tape the remaining empty lw  cross member or you may find a solid cross member from a shop in fla...you would have to look It up ...I got it from a how to reel u to u tube......buy a

New  Abu with out the level wind,diawa s h a twenty and add the mags?...a used Penn 525 with mag...don't WORRY it's only money...lol lol