Sporto10003

Light Weight Surf Top

Rate this topic

15 posts in this topic

Recommendations for a top to go over my waders in the summer.  Need to keep the water out.  I have a StormR for the cold weather, but when it's warm need a light weight top ?

I have a Guy Cotton dry top and love it. You might want to look into their product line. I'm sure there's cheaper out there. Depends on your budget. 

Do your research- some of the breathable fabrics don’t stay waterproof long... especially in salt water.  

Posted (edited) · Report post

In my opinion, no dry top is light enough for summer heat. I ditch the waders from June-September (at least) and wear quick drying clothing.

Edited by C.Robin

Summertime fishing in the suds early mornings and late evenings my attire is a pair of swimming trunks t-shirt or quick dry shirt and a pair of scuba boots,

The Guy Cotton Montauk is great but its not a sealed dry top. But in the summer a little water in the cuffs in not a big deal.

My light weight surf tops are both Kokatat for kayaking ,  the lightest is the Stance and the slightly heavier is the goretex Paddling jacket. 

FBE417AC-5341-4E58-9F99-426BACF1255A.jpeg

Edited by connman

Im not too concerned about a little water in the warmer months so i usually dont wear one. If anything just any random light weight windbreaker if it gets chilly at night to repel most of the water. End of the year i picked up the guy cotten montauk that other guys are mentioning and liked it alot too when layered undernearth. Dont know how guys wear anything at all mid summer, i cant stand wearing one if theres not at least a slight chill. Id rather get a little wet than sweat 

Edited by Mlima5

NRS Endurance splash jacket is great for up to around 75 degrees weather and can take a couple of splashes but not heavy soaking. If you're more worried about staying completely dry consider looking into semi-dry tops like the NRS Stampede similar build as the endurance but has a neoprene neck and wrist cuffs. Wouldn't recommend wearing these in the summer since they're more spring and early fall jackets.

Edited by Inception