Freshwater fishing lic.

Rate this topic

burkie

Sure, if the money was used for solely fishing and hunting purposes it might  take some of the sting out of the increase, but remember what the salt water "permit" fee was "supposed " to be used for?

The fishing license fee was partly used for raising and stocking trout (and salmon, sadly)  but since MA has gone to a completely "put & take" operation, that particular portion of the pie is used to buy fish (wen available) from out of state.

Not to be totally crass about it, but maybe they need the increase to help pay for more updated boat and SUV's, and if there's anything left, maybe hire an additional EPO or two?

I'd rather have a bottle in front of me than a frontal lobotomy!

On 1/20/2021 at 6:58 PM, mikez2 said:

I don't get the complaints I hear about the Ma fishing license. Not so much here as elsewhere, but here too.

Considering it's a 12 month season and the fact that they stock a chitload of fish, it's a damn good deal.

It cracks me up that people will drop upwards of $1000.00 a year for a daily dunks coffee or frigging $2400.00 a year for crap TV programming but complain about $40.00 to fish for a year.

As far as less places to fish, that's not on the state. They continue to try and aquire more public access. If fishing spots are lost it's because land gets posted, often because of the action of the fishermen themselves. 

Not only do I get my money's worth out of my Ma resident's license, I also buy NH and Maine non-resident so I can travel. I also continue to pay the full sportsman  license  price in Ma even though I haven't hunted in a few years. I'm not rich by any stretch but I consider that short money for excellent value.

On the other hand, I don't pay for or watch cable TV so it balances out. 

Well said. I'm not saying I'm in favor of an increase but I definitely get my money's worth. Especially with freshwater where the state spends a ton of money stocking thousands of trout in the spring and fall. $25ish for that isn't bad.

On 1/20/2021 at 2:48 PM, burkie said:

I saw today that it looks like Massachusetts fish and game is talking about increasing  the fee for a license m that will take place the first week of February 3 days on zoom, there has not been a increase since  1996

How does the increase work the first week of February?  If people already have licenses 

troll #122  <*)))<

• 4 weeks later...

Figured I’d bump this back up now that the proposed increases have been released. Guys that were all for this; do you still believe that this increase is valid while getting nothing new in return? A sporting license with all the required tags and permits to hunt and fish that I buy every season will now cost in the hundreds as a resident. It’s complete BS. I will be hunting RI and CT at those prices. Hope mass enjoys the increase in revenue and the decrease in sportsmen paying for licenses.0D0810EF-3686-416D-99E7-0A60CD709BD5.jpeg.0ebeb0677224ee7294711f6842c84804.jpeg

The Best Day to go fishing is any day that ends in Y

1 min ago, CcCstriper89 said:

Figured I’d bump this back up now that the proposed increases have been released. Guys that were all for this; do you still believe that this increase is valid while getting nothing new in return? A sporting license with all the required tags and permits to hunt and fish that I buy every season will now cost in the hundreds as a resident. It’s complete BS. I will be hunting RI and CT at those prices. Hope mass enjoys the increase in revenue and the decrease in sportsmen paying for licenses.0D0810EF-3686-416D-99E7-0A60CD709BD5.jpeg.0ebeb0677224ee7294711f6842c84804.jpeg

Is this for 2022?

troll #122  <*)))<

RI DEM sent a survey this week. The specifically asked how we feel about having hikers, bird watchers and mountain bikers pay a fee for using WMA’s. They acknowledge that hunters and fisherman already contribute $ 

I am sure out of state hunters received the survey as well. I like that idea. Make every user group pay. 

15 mins ago, R.R. Bridge Fisher said:

Is this for 2022?

Yes 2022 proposal. Here is the link if it allows it to be posted since it hasn’t been made easy to find yet. https://www.mass.gov/doc/masswildlife-proposed-fee-schedule/download?fbclid=IwAR3Zrp0I_CAkGBwNHeENS1J2KtzCiASQRlM1vlp2opRUKfyrcfPkY_VvzCc

The Best Day to go fishing is any day that ends in Y

What is the state's justification for nearly doubling the fees for resident fishing and hunting licenses? And nearly quadrupling the fees for certain stamps and other permits? I've heard nothing. 

But I'll check the link....

Edited by bdowning

Pfantum Pfishah

I can understand the need for an increase after 26 years (1996--2022).....however, if MA is to raise it, it's only fair to hold the increase to the rate of inflation, or less, over that period of time.

Fishing license... current $22.50.....proposed $40.00.  A 78% increase.

Inflation...1996--2020/21....62% increase. 

Accordingly, a proposed rate of $36 ($22.50 X 162%) is more realistic and a more logical point to begin entertaining comments.   

29 mins ago, Joe G said:

I can understand the need for an increase after 26 years (1996--2022).....however, if MA is to raise it, it's only fair to hold the increase to the rate of inflation, or less, over that period of time.

Fishing license... current $22.50.....proposed $40.00.  A 78% increase.

Inflation...1996--2020/21....62% increase. 

Accordingly, a proposed rate of $36 ($22.50 X 162%) is more realistic and a more logical point to begin entertaining comments.   

A  little cushion for the future.........................