burkie

Freshwater fishing lic.

Rate this topic

52 posts in this topic

I saw today that it looks like Massachusetts fish and game is talking about increasing  the fee for a license m that will take place the first week of February 3 days on zoom, there has not been a increase since  1996

I hope they put the extra money to use picking up trash. The amount of trash from the new Covid anglers is out of control. I can’t wait for them to go back to doing whatever the hell they did before Covid. 

34 mins ago, z-man said:

I hope they put the extra money to use picking up trash. The amount of trash from the new Covid anglers is out of control. I can’t wait for them to go back to doing whatever the hell they did before Covid. 

Z man,

I don't think Ma FW used license fees to pick up trash?   But I agree. When you're dealing with the public, trash is a way of life. There's no escaping it. 

Not just fishing; hunting licenses too. Social media has not been kind to the announcement. Charge more; provide less is the sentiment. Many hunters are already chipped down to 1 day a week they can hunt if their job isn’t an accommodating one; leaving only Saturday to hunt. Raise fees too much and those guys will be hunting RI if they don’t already and skipping mass altogether. MA is one of the cheaper states to hunt for resident and non resident as it stands. If the money was used to increase fishing; hunting opportunity I am all for it; but generally speaking I doubt we will see much positive change.

I have always felt that MA non resident licenses are too low. In comparison to other states, Mass has been lower in comparison. the non resident fishing license is only $10 bucks more than a resident.

2 hours ago, VitaminDee said:

increase in price with fewer accessible spots. sounds about right. 

Sadly this is 100% accurate. At least in my neck of the woods.

3 mins ago, Joser said:

I have always felt that MA non resident licenses are too low. In comparison to other states, Mass has been lower in comparison. the non resident fishing license is only $10 bucks more than a resident.

Really! Only 10.00. I pay 62.00 might be 60.00 for a out of state in Vermont and New Hampshire.

1 hour ago, z-man said:

How much money are the licenses supposed to increase by?

They haven’t released that data yet that I saw. Just dates for zoom sessions to watch for information about it. 

Posted (edited) · Report post

My only complaint is with the issuance of non resident hunting licenses. 

Out of state hunters purchasing a non resident license are not required to have an FID or LTC.  However, Ma residents have to pay through the nose and jump through hoops every six years.

Edited by bob_G

I bought my fresh and salt licenses last week.  Bought online - cost was $41.39.  I can live with that...

Edited by RP McMurphy
Typo.

I don't get the complaints I hear about the Ma fishing license. Not so much here as elsewhere, but here too.

Considering it's a 12 month season and the fact that they stock a chitload of fish, it's a damn good deal.

It cracks me up that people will drop upwards of $1000.00 a year for a daily dunks coffee or frigging $2400.00 a year for crap TV programming but complain about $40.00 to fish for a year.

As far as less places to fish, that's not on the state. They continue to try and aquire more public access. If fishing spots are lost it's because land gets posted, often because of the action of the fishermen themselves. 

Not only do I get my money's worth out of my Ma resident's license, I also buy NH and Maine non-resident so I can travel. I also continue to pay the full sportsman  license  price in Ma even though I haven't hunted in a few years. I'm not rich by any stretch but I consider that short money for excellent value.

On the other hand, I don't pay for or watch cable TV so it balances out. 

Edited by mikez2