Angler #1

Changing of the guard

Rate this topic

27 posts in this topic

Today marks an historic day in America. The peaceful transition of power. Will the climate change that affects a natural resource be addressed? Will we overcome this epidemic in a more beneficial manner?     Good promises , can they be kept?  Peace and Prayers 

It's an emotional day no matter your politics. A tradition unbroken since the first hotly contested Presidential election in 1800, when John Adams was defeated by his bitter political rival, Thomas Jefferson. Few, if any, other countries have been as able to watch defeated Presidents hand over the reins of government to the person they lost to, for a 220 year run.

I implore everyone to not make this thread political. This is about our common democracy, not partisan politics.

14 mins ago, Ditch Jigger said:

It's an emotional day no matter your politics. A tradition unbroken since the first hotly contested Presidential election in 1800, when John Adams was defeated by his bitter political rival, Thomas Jefferson. Few, if any, other countries have been as able to watch defeated Presidents hand over the reins of government to the person they lost to, for a 220 year run.

I implore everyone to not make this thread political. This is about our common democracy, not partisan politics.

Agree.  If this thread goes political I'll move it to  PG.

17 mins ago, bob_G said:

Agree.  If this thread goes political I'll move it to  PG.

Why not just remove the offending posts ?

37 mins ago, Ditch Jigger said:

Yes this is about our common democracy. Peace and prayers

Inauguration Day is a day all Americans should be proud of regardless of party.  Given the state of the world I found yesterday to be a pretty amazing feat.

1 hour ago, Twisted said:

Inauguration Day is a day all Americans should be proud of regardless of party.  Given the state of the world I found yesterday to be a pretty amazing feat.

Twisted my first one was when Franklin Roosevelt[our 32nd President] was sworn in and i have attempted  to observe one of Americas most cherished ceremony  where the oath of office has remained steadfast since we became a free nation of democratic principles . I can still recall turning in the old Philco Radio in an attempt to hear him speak every Friday night in what today is called the Fire Side Chat. To think that with all of the unrest in the world today that we here in America can have an exchange of leadership in an orderly manner.  Now I get to witness the beginning of the 46th. Must be getting old . Keeping the democratic principals for all its people is prime in keeping America at the fore front of the world around us into the future what ever that may come to pass. Peace and Prayers

In the past I’ve always been at work on Inauguration Day so never saw much of it. Now I’m mostly working from home and have the tv on in the background so I saw some of it yesterday. Is it always a full day and night event with celebrities and singers like that? Also did Tom Hanks have a stroke or something? He didn’t look too great last night. 

20 hours ago, Angler #1 said:

...    Good promises , can they be kept?  

There is an old adage in DC......the President proposes, the Congress disposes.

13 mins ago, z-man said:

In the past I’ve always been at work on Inauguration Day so never saw much of it. Now I’m mostly working from home and have the tv on in the background so I saw some of it yesterday. Is it always a full day and night event with celebrities and singers like that? Also did Tom Hanks have a stroke or something? He didn’t look too great last night. 

I don't know if he had a stroke, but he had covid.  He was one of the early ones. He was in Australia when he and his wife became ill.

Great post.  There are many, many achievable opportunities for our country to improve.  Start with getting a handle on this virus.  Way too much energy wasted on partisan bickering that doesn't get us anywhere.

When I see the partisan bickering, I often find myself thinking, "Putin and Xi must be loving this."   

Our challenges are with other countries, not our neighbors/countrymen.

1 hour ago, RP McMurphy said:

Great post.  There are many, many achievable opportunities for our country to improve.  Start with getting a handle on this virus.  Way too much energy wasted on partisan bickering that doesn't get us anywhere.

When I see the partisan bickering, I often find myself thinking, "Putin and Xi must be loving this."   

Our challenges are with other countries, not our neighbors/countrymen.

Well said..........................