JosephTree

Sandy Hook Dredging

Rate this topic

45 posts in this topic

The last time I walked out to the False Hook they'd started a dredging project that I was told was going to shorten the end by 200 yards or more - back to the last hummock of dune grass, more or less.  Can anyone tell me if they've finished their work?  My last casts from the end I had to be careful not to hit the green buoy.

I'm guessing that the long term effect of the dredging won't be to bad. That current redistributes the bottom a little every tide, and a whole winter's tides will smooth things out fairly well.

Long term effect won't be long term at all.  As long as they're doing "beach replenishment" the end of the peninsula will just grow again.  It's a big scam.  Destroy 2 habitats at once and then go dredge Sandy Hook Channel.  This is like the third time they're doing it since Sandy.

38 mins ago, Dan Tinman said:

Long term effect won't be long term at all.  As long as they're doing "beach replenishment" the end of the peninsula will just grow again.  It's a big scam.  Destroy 2 habitats at once and then go dredge Sandy Hook Channel.  This is like the third time they're doing it since Sandy.

From what I understand the spit would grow/ shift even without "beach replenishment." 

I think Sandy Hook would be a chain of islands if there wasn't human intervention over the last 200 years. 

50 mins ago, Frugal Fisherman said:

From what I understand the spit would grow/ shift even without "beach replenishment." 

I think Sandy Hook would be a chain of islands if there wasn't human intervention over the last 200 years. 

Hi Frugal!  Long time no see.

Sandy Hook was originally a series of islands.  Yes, you're right .  It would grow without the beach replenishment but at a much slower rate.  There is a term that geologists that specialize in beach movement and erosion use.  It's "sand budget".  It refers to the movement of sand along a beach line and that's what happens all along our beaches.  When excessive amounts of sand are put on a beach it moves excessively.  

35 mins ago, Dan Tinman said:

Hi Frugal!  Long time no see.

Sandy Hook was originally a series of islands.  Yes, you're right .  It would grow without the beach replenishment but at a much slower rate.  There is a term that geologists that specialize in beach movement and erosion use.  It's "sand budget".  It refers to the movement of sand along a beach line and that's what happens all along our beaches.  When excessive amounts of sand are put on a beach it moves excessively.  

Used to happen. Jetties ended the natural movement. 

57 mins ago, Potato Caboose said:

Used to happen. Jetties ended the natural movement. 

No, it still happened just not as fast.  Now they're buried the jetties and notched others so we're back to the sand migration express.

The long term environmental impact of this misguided beach replenishment project will be devastating.  The sand is not only altering the hook at a rapid pace.  Sand is flowing inside the river and estuaries and changing the bottom make-up.  Much of the sea life that needs river mud for life will be threatened.  Eco systems will be thrown out of balance.  It’s very sad to watch. 

I spent a great deal of time fishing the inside of Sandy Hook when i was a kid.  The spots that i caught fish from you can stand on today. The fact that you can hit the green can at tip with your plug raises my eyebrows.  When i used to fish up there the green can seemed like miles away. 

37 mins ago, Fly By Nite said:

I spent a great deal of time fishing the inside of Sandy Hook when i was a kid.  The spots that i caught fish from you can stand on today. The fact that you can hit the green can at tip with your plug raises my eyebrows.  When i used to fish up there the green can seemed like miles away. 

The one on the false hook is very close to the beach now. 

Posted (edited) · Report post

I would venture to guess that over time the flood plain in the river system begins to expand at a more rapid pace because there is decreased volume from the sand filling it in from the hook.  Areas like Oceanport and Redbank will feel the effects of a more swollen flood plain. 

Edited by Fly By Nite

2 hours ago, Fly By Nite said:

That moment was just a couple days of the start of the dredging.  The green can and the shipping channel it marks will again seem miles away.

6 hours ago, Chuck D said:

Where are they dumping the sand they dredge?

Good question!

I don't know, but would guess that it's being laid down not too far down the beach on the NJ side of the bay.

16 hours ago, Chuck D said:

Where are they dumping the sand they dredge?

One of the regular posters in the reports thread mentioned once some of those dredged materials were getting dumped down in somoco.