JCH

Fiberglass Schoolie Rod - Recommendations?

Rate this topic

32 posts in this topic

On 1/20/2021 at 1:52 PM, JCH said:

I'm interested in buying a 7wt or 8wt fiberglass rod for schoolies in the estuary.  People seem to like the Orvis and the Echo BAG.  Curious if anyone has experience with them - or with Blue Halo.  Anything else I'm missing?

Why glass?

NFC Iconoglass #10 and #12 8'6" blanks are fast. Really fast for being glass. Even Jabster, a hard core graphite fan when it comes to casting, was surprised and impressed. We cast holding the blank and guides were taped. He has the BAG #10 and these seem to be something completely different. I've now built butt sections of two of each, but should now start with the guides.

For shore fishing, where you do not need to use the rod as a lever to bring up the fish, I do not see much value on glass. But for boat, I love glass. I can lift over 20lb straight up rod butt being horizontal much much easier with glass than with carbon because the carbon will be really stiff and thus the lever way longer. Carbon "locks" and/or breaks where glass just bends a bit more until the line breaks or fish starts to move...

14 hours ago, RAW said:

Why glass?

Fair question - really just for fun.  Something a bit different.  I use a very fast graphite 7WT in this fishery (and a 9 when the wind blows).  The school bass really tug on that 7, and I thought it would be fun to have a bend deep into the butt, so to speak.

45 mins ago, JCH said:

Fair question - really just for fun.  Something a bit different.  I use a very fast graphite 7WT in this fishery (and a 9 when the wind blows).  The school bass really tug on that 7, and I thought it would be fun to have a bend deep into the butt, so to speak.

For me, I went to a 9.6 6wt with 5wt floating running line. Glass does give more of a parabolic bend.

18 hours ago, RAW said:

Why glass?

I could easily envision glass as useful for steelhead.Ultra-flexible so they don't shake the hook so damn easily...lol

My fav rod for them is a very limber,late 90's Sage, 11' 6wt...probably has a fair bit of glass in it. 

Also The  Shakespeare  Fiberglass Wonderods are nice and are not that much money?

If you are into two handers- Echo made a glass switch and glass spey.  I have a 7 wt  switch that I use for schoolies- super fun.

1 hour ago, titleguy said:

If you are into two handers- Echo made a glass switch and glass spey.  I have a 7 wt  switch that I use for schoolies- super fun.

I just finished an 8' 10wt glass rod and by the 2nd test cast I found myself wondering what a glass spey rod would be like.You can't rush it or push it,just let it do what it does.Very different from carbon fiber.

CTS has some interesting glass TH options too.

Why glass? I think I felt the same as JCH just to try something different. I am not new to glass. I have been experimenting with glass since 2007. This fall I had the opportunity to pick up one of the discontinued Echo glass switch rods and had some great fun catching stripers up to twenty seven inches on it. Glad that I bit on the opportunity for sure.

5fb3c66bbcdde_IMG_7271a.JPG.bd59f23d957cc780a4f238db0354ddb9.JPG

I have been considering glass just to keep it strange. I was considering the CGR 7/8 but ended up picking up a Maxcatch 8' 8wt to goof around with. The Maxcatch gets some love around the forums so I figured WTF, for $75 I can afford a mistake.

Then there was a BAG in the BST so I picked that up too. Wuflu has made me impulsive.

On 1/20/2021 at 7:01 PM, xp800 said:

I just built a Northfork Composites 8wt glass for schoolies  this up coming season.. I have not fished it yet but have casted it. It’s a true 8wt to me with the feel of glass but a touch faster than what I’m use to. 

I fish pretty much nothing but glass now and I'll add a +1 on the NFC blanks.  I built a 7 1/2' 4wt and it's quickly becoming my favorite trout rod.  Keep an eye on their page, they were on sale for half price before the holidays.  Gary Loomis makes a quality product in the NFC line.

Dunno if they still make it or not (it's showing on their website), but Echo also made a variant of the BAG called the Quickshot. They were 8' rods, as opposed to the original BAG's which are 9. The folks that I read who used the Quickshots seemed to like them. You might wanna give that a think, if they are still available. 

Del-  Funny you should mention this rod.  I missed one on ebay yesterday for short money...  For the price, I thought it would be fun to have.  They get GREAT reviews.  My son is Echo Pro Staff, so I am going to have him pick me up the 8 wt for this spring.