Fiberglass Schoolie Rod - Recommendations?

Rate this topic

JCH

Can't help you with any of the modern glass stuff, but my schoolie rod is an old Fenwick FF856, 8 1/2' for 6wt but I fish it with a 7wt intermediate.  8wts in glass start to get a bit heavy for my taste if I'm doing a lot of casting.  I'm curious what kind of responses you get.

Doug

"If you think fly fishermen are strange, try having a conversation with a mushroom picker."

John Gierach

Like Bonefish said;An older Fenwick Fenglas  rod.I picked one up,a 6wt 2 piece that still had the original plastic bag [opened] over the rod tube for $70.Look around you'll find them pretty reasonable and a real blast to fish.Yard sale season will be coming when the temp. warms up.Good Hunting!

It's been awhile since I've held one, but Fenwick still has well regarded products. If you're looking for a low-cost option, the sale boards have them. If new, here's one place:

https://www.purefishing.com/collections/fenwick-fly-fishing-rods

I use a Steffen Brothers fiberglass rod for trout in a 3/4 weight, but I've often wondered how much fun a 7/8 weight glass rod would be like for schoolies. Be interested in what you decide.

48 mins ago, xp800 said:

I just built a Northfork Composites 8wt glass for schoolies  this up coming season.. I have not fished it yet but have casted it. It’s a true 8wt to me with the feel of glass but a touch faster than what I’m use to. 

8F1E06B6-C988-4324-AB96-48120CCEF665.jpeg

Very nice work. What is the length of that rod?

I love fiberglass fly rods for schoolies.   A well designed modern glass rod is not the heavy noodle that many of the older 7-9wt glass rods were.  6 or 7 years ago I built out a McFarland 8ft 8in 8wt 4 piece blank and have enjoyed fishing it in the salt from Maine to Florida.  As much as I like it, I think the blanks and rods McFarland is putting out now are even better.  Last year I had a friend build  out a McFarland 8 1/2ft 6wt 4pc GTX glass blank and wow!  It is light in hand,  fast tip recovery, will handle a 250grain sink tip and really shines with an Orvis  6wt intermediate striper line (which is overweighted and really a 6.75wt line I believe).  I was really surprised by how thin and light the GTX blank was.  Very comparable to a 6wt graphite rod but has a fun factor that graphite can’t touch and does everything I need/want a light line saltwater fly rod to do with no compromise in performance.  

The BAG quick shot rods (8 ft) have a great reputation and are very attractively priced.  

The Orvis 6wt and 8wt have also been well received.  

F7047763-8A21-4031-84C2-B96E42B2A704.jpeg

Don't overlook the Cabelas CGR 7/8wt rod.  I posted some photos of various fish caught using it (from online user reports), here, see page 3:

There have been two versions (based on reel seat).  I have the older model with the brushed silver reel seat.  It appears to be reasonably saltwater safe.  I think it was only around $70 or less on sale.

Edited by Killiefish

23 hours ago, Bonefish79 said:

Can't help you with any of the modern glass stuff, but my schoolie rod is an old Fenwick FF856, 8 1/2' for 6wt but I fish it with a 7wt intermediate.  8wts in glass start to get a bit heavy for my taste if I'm doing a lot of casting.  I'm curious what kind of responses you get.

Doug

I have the same rod, and it is a great schoolie rod.  Early in the season, I also use that same rod in a 5 weight, with a 6wt intermediate line.  They really are fun rods to fish.

i also have the cgr 7/8 and got a ton of striper on it when i lived in port washington.  I now use it for LMB

but i will admit i do not like glass in the salt.

I dont see the benefit of its classic action as many times  when fishing for schoolies i would run into bigger fish, bigger winds, longer casts.  I would rather have a fast action lightweight 7wt for schoolies any day of the week.  Which allows me to adjust to conditions.

Glassphemy!