runnsfromcops

Dash cams

33 posts in this topic

Here in NYC I feel it's pretty important with all the shite drivers out there making their illegal u-turns and worse. I'm currently running a cheap one, Apeman C450, $50 off Amazon. Camera works "ok" for everyday purposes, but the hardwire kit is defective and drains the battery when the car is off. It plugs into the OBD socket and tucks nicely into the headliner, but instead of powering down when the car is off an only recording when the car is moved, it instead turns back on and off and on and off until the battery is completely dead and all the date/time/user settings are reset. Very annoying. I've been through 2 cameras and 2 hardwire kits and get the same thing.

 

Who else is running a dash cam in their car and do you have any recommendations? I'd like to stay pretty budget friendly.

Share this post


Link to post
Share on other sites

I have a Roav, it serves my purposes. It runs off a usb hub, battery charges that way. It glues/mounts to the windshield. It’s behind he mirror, so I can’t even see it. I think it’s 3-4 years old and still works. 

Share this post


Link to post
Share on other sites

I had a Black Box capacitor model cam that worked well for a few months but then it’s clock got screwed up so it would overwrite the newest video. A few months after that it wouldn’t stay on for more than a few seconds. So I wouldn’t buy a Black Box brand. I’ve heard the Roav is decent and will probably try that next. 

Share this post


Link to post
Share on other sites
On 1/20/2021 at 1:50 PM, runnsfromcops said:

Here in NYC I feel it's pretty important with all the shite drivers out there making their illegal u-turns and worse. I'm currently running a cheap one, Apeman C450, $50 off Amazon. Camera works "ok" for everyday purposes, but the hardwire kit is defective and drains the battery when the car is off. It plugs into the OBD socket and tucks nicely into the headliner, but instead of powering down when the car is off an only recording when the car is moved, it instead turns back on and off and on and off until the battery is completely dead and all the date/time/user settings are reset. Very annoying. I've been through 2 cameras and 2 hardwire kits and get the same thing.

 

Who else is running a dash cam in their car and do you have any recommendations? I'd like to stay pretty budget friendly.

 

Hardwire kits that use the DLC for power are known for having drainage issues

 

You're better off getting a proper hardwire kit with an adjustable LVC that connects to the fuse panel

 

How many cameras are you looking to replace your current one with?

I have several I can suggest, but need to know your overall budget first.

 

And yes, with the idiots out on the road, dash cams should be manditory on all vehicles

 

I have an entire YouTube channel dedicated to the stuff my cameras pick up on a daily basis (scroll down to Dash Cam Playlist)

 

 

https://www.youtube.com/c/rickantonio

 

 

 

 

 

 

 

 

 

 

 

 

 

 

 

 

Share this post


Link to post
Share on other sites

Those Democrat videos leave me laughing, I've seen people stuck all over that beach, and especially on the slope up towards the riprap in the back.

Share this post


Link to post
Share on other sites
40 mins ago, 98 SNAKE EATER said:

 

Hardwire kits that use the DLC for power are known for having drainage issues

 

You're better off getting a proper hardwire kit with an adjustable LVC that connects to the fuse panel

 

How many cameras are you looking to replace your current one with?

I have several I can suggest, but need to know your overall budget first.

 

And yes, with the idiots out on the road, dash cams should be manditory on all vehicles

 

I have an entire YouTube channel dedicated to the stuff my cameras pick up on a daily basis (scroll down to Dash Cam Playlist)

 

 

https://www.youtube.com/c/rickantonio

 

 

Thanks for offering your expertise. Ideally I'd like to stay around $300. I'm only looking for a single camera (front). Funnily enough, I was just watching your videos of that parking lot tow scam at that McDonald's, ha.

Share this post


Link to post
Share on other sites

Posted (edited) · Report post

39 mins ago, runnsfromcops said:

Thanks for offering your expertise. Ideally I'd like to stay around $300. I'm only looking for a single camera (front). Funnily enough, I was just watching your videos of that parking lot tow scam at that McDonald's, ha.

 

 

You can actually get a lot more coverage with multiple cameras for that budget

 

Viofo's A139 is a great option for about ~$270 bucks

 

viofo-a139-dashcam-3.jpg

 

You get 3 cameras (Front, Rear and Interior w/automatic night vision)

 

Here's an early release review from last year

 

https://jwtechreviews.com/2020/10/31/viofo-a139-3ch/

 

There's also an optional wireless remote if you like to save clips and take snap shots without having to reach for a button on the main body (quite useful when you don't want it make it obvious that you're recording)

 

 

 

Edited by 98 SNAKE EATER

Share this post


Link to post
Share on other sites

Curious, how much of a theft magnet are these things? I'd love one to record all the nonsense I see, but I park on city streets all the time and don't want to lose a window. I wish they were more discreet, I mean the cam itself is the size of a pencil eraser!

Share this post


Link to post
Share on other sites
25 mins ago, 98 SNAKE EATER said:

 

 

You can actually get a lot more coverage with multiple cameras for that budget

 

Viofo's A139 is a great option for about ~$270 bucks

 

viofo-a139-dashcam-3.jpg

 

You get 3 cameras (Front, Rear and Interior w/automatic night vision)

 

Here's an early release review from last year

 

https://jwtechreviews.com/2020/10/31/viofo-a139-3ch/

 

There's also an optional wireless remote if you like to save clips and take snap shots without having to reach for a button on the main body (quite useful when you don't want it make it obvious that you're recording)

 

 

 

thanks for the recommendation—I"ll check that one out. Would you use the VIOFO hardwire kit or a third party one?

Share this post


Link to post
Share on other sites
1 hour ago, gellfex said:

Curious, how much of a theft magnet are these things? I'd love one to record all the nonsense I see, but I park on city streets all the time and don't want to lose a window. I wish they were more discreet, I mean the cam itself is the size of a pencil eraser!

I've seen windows get smashed for loose change, so I can't comment on what crooks are willing to do for a camera.

 

I don't worry much with the alarm systems I have on my cars though 

 

 

 

 

 

 

 

That being said, it's best to center mount the cam on the highest part of the windshield behind your rear view mirror and within the wiper sweep.

 

This makes it less obvious, but if someone wants it bad enough, there's really no stopping them 

 

A cheap, but small and solid camera would be the B1W from BlueSkySea

 

I picked up a few during a group buy on the DashCam forums for $35 bucks a pop shipped 

 

Small and basic, but great quality for the money

 

1 hour ago, runnsfromcops said:

thanks for the recommendation—I"ll check that one out. Would you use the VIOFO hardwire kit or a third party one?

 

It's generally best to use genuine hardwire kits from the manufacturer, but in this case any universal usb-c hardwire kit will work fine.

 

In fact, Viofo has been known to ship hardwire kits labled under other manufacturers.

 

 

 

Share this post


Link to post
Share on other sites
23 mins ago, gellfex said:

@98 SNAKE EATERwhy aren't they just building them into the mirror so they're totally stealth?

They're available if you want to go that route,  but I prefer stand alone cameras as the quality on mirror cams have been hit or miss.

 

And the replacement mirror themselves usually look like they came from a fun house or sumthin 

 

 

Share this post


Link to post
Share on other sites

Create an account or sign in to comment

You need to register here in order to participate.

Create an account

Sign up for a new account in our community. It's easy!


Register a new account

Sign in

Already have an account? Sign in here.


Sign In Now

  • Recently Browsing   0 members

    No registered users viewing this page.