Jay Blair

Trout fishing with lures

15 posts in this topic

nice read Mr. Blair. . 

etiquette in nj on a trout stream is non existent for 8 weeks of the year. things are usually cordial but it's every hack for themselves combat fishing even when you get way off the beaten path. 

throwing bigger baits is something i need to force myself to do even though my experience has been that it works for bigger fish. it my head trout lures are "supposed" to be small but a big brownie is predator that will eat flies and nymphs too. 

Posted (edited) · Report post

58 mins ago, BrianZ said:

nice read Mr. Blair. . 

etiquette in nj on a trout stream is non existent for 8 weeks of the year. things are usually cordial but it's every hack for themselves combat fishing even when you get way off the beaten path. 

throwing bigger baits is something i need to force myself to do even though my experience has been that it works for bigger fish. it my head trout lures are "supposed" to be small but a big brownie is predator that will eat flies and nymphs too. 

Many of the same lures that designed for smallmouths work for wild and holdover trout and some of my biggest brown trout have come from the Susquehanna watershed. A few of the largest ones almost look like silver sea run trout. The are usually incidental catches during the early Spring while we are fishing for smallmouths. TJ and I have posted pics of some of them in the Susky thread in years past.

In Maryland with our tiny pathetic trout program and zero enforcement most of the stocked trout have already been poached before opening day and the meat hunters fight over what's left. Last year we did not even have an opening day thanks to Covid. At one time we had some nice wild trout, but they failed to protect them as well.

I have to travel a bit to find good trout fisheries. PA and NY stock more fish in one river system than Maryland stocks in the entire state.

IMO most stocked trout are a sad facsimile of a trout, but they are fun for the kids and easy to catch. 

Thanks guys.

Edited by Jay Blair

again i agree, and the larger lure lesson is one i learned early and often in my fishing career.  my first 5lb brownie was caught in a tributary of lake ontario fishing at night for walleye with an f17 rapala in chartreuse over silver/white.  that was when the light went off for me but it's something i have to remind myself of it's not something that is second nature. 

fishing bigger water like upper mainstem of big D it's easier for me to remember to throw bigger baits in to the repertoire but the small to mid size stream i stay small and need to work on that.  

3 hours ago, BrianZ said:

again i agree, and the larger lure lesson is one i learned early and often in my fishing career.  my first 5lb brownie was caught in a tributary of lake ontario fishing at night for walleye with an f17 rapala in chartreuse over silver/white.  that was when the light went off for me but it's something i have to remind myself of it's not something that is second nature. 

fishing bigger water like upper mainstem of big D it's easier for me to remember to throw bigger baits in to the repertoire but the small to mid size stream i stay small and need to work on that.  

A lot of it is dependent on timing and the water temperatures in the small to mid-sized rivers. It is no secret that brown trout run upstream to spawn in the late fall, and they hang out in some of those rivers and streams until they warm up in the late Spring if there are some deeper holes they can use are Winter Sanctuary areas.

Smallmouths often bully and displace trout from the Winter Sanctuaries areas, however large brown trout are the exception. In the cold water they are the kings and queens of the river.

Big river systems like the Upper D and Suzy Q intrigue me because you never know what you will catch. I have caught smallmouths, large trout, fallfish, and walleyes on the same lures in the same hole in a matter of minutes.

The picture I use in as my avatar is the Junction Pool where the East and West come together to form the Main Stem. I have caught trout, smallmouths, shad, walleyes, fall fish, and once in a while stripers and large chain pickerel in that hole.

The West Branch is the cold water sanctuary, and the East Branch with its fertile spring creeks and the Beaverkill is the food factory. The trout in the system travel long distances to find what they need.

Edited by Jay Blair

One Addendum:

9. Don't line over fish you have the potential of catching. What I mean by that is cast to your closest spots first, then spots farther away, and finally the farthest targets before you move. If you make a long cast first and cast and fight fish over your closer target areas the closer trout will most likely shut down. Start casting to your close target areas and work out further from there if you want to maximize your catching opportunities.

Another example in a small stream would be working the tail out section of a hole first, then the main hole, and finally the worried water at the head of the hole. In an ideal scenario you would catch fish from each section without alerting the fish further upstream.

In gin clear streams with pressured fish I have seen wild trout scatter when a spinning line with a lure or fly line is cast over them. The trout in Catch and Release areas are highly pressured and are very sensitive to being lined over, and yes their eye sight is that good.

Edited by Jay Blair

Thank you Pat,

I really enjoyed fishing with you and your twitching techniques worked great.

I am looking forward to fishing more this year. I may head up earlier to fish the Rivah and its tributaries for lake run trout and pre-spawn smallies.

Edited by Jay Blair

34 mins ago, Jay Blair said:

Thank you Pat,

I really enjoyed fishing with you and your twitching techniques worked great.

I am looking forward to fishing more this year. I may head up earlier to fish the Rivah and its tributaries for lake run trout and pre-spawn smallies.

Let me know if you would like company again. I will have a lot of free time this year the way my job situation is looking

Very nice job Jay!  Growing up on a creek I learned a lot, fishing nearly every day some weeks, but fishing for trout with lures is something I never did as a kid.

So if that was Trout on Lures 101 I'm anxiously awaiting Trout on lures 201 :)   

Followed by spring smallies 101 perhaps?