gorkmonster

Vice that can do it all

Rate this topic

45 posts in this topic

I currently own a peak rotary and it's ok, but I am looking for a vice that can handle #22s all the way up to 9/0 heavy duty jig hooks (without swapping jaws).  My budget is around $250.  Can anyone reccommend one that does it all?

Share this post


Link to post
Share on other sites

I also own the peak vise, and I'm opting to get the PRV-LIRS (large iron retention system) which can accommodate larger hook diameters and attaches out of the package to the original vise to allow spinning deerhair, etc. without moving the hook. We'll see . . . I like the vise a lot, and if I can get the upgrade at $99 and it works, it's a good solution for me. The other alternative for the same vise is to get the saltwater jaws that are also available. If anyone has tried them, I'd appreciate some feedback as to how well they hold hooks up to 4/0 or larger.

Share this post


Link to post
Share on other sites
2 mins ago, South Shore Fly said:

I also own the peak vise, and I'm opting to get the PRV-LIRS (large iron retention system) which can accommodate larger hook diameters and attaches out of the package to the original vise to allow spinning deerhair, etc. without moving the hook. We'll see . . . I like the vise a lot, and if I can get the upgrade at $99 and it works, it's a good solution for me. The other alternative for the same vise is to get the saltwater jaws that are also available. If anyone has tried them, I'd appreciate some feedback as to how well they hold hooks up to 4/0 or larger.

I've tried the Lirs system and they cant handle the hooks on my bucktail jigs.  They may work for lighter wire stuff a bit better.

1 hour ago, theshadow said:

Alot would depend on the hook manufacturer of the big hooks[wire gauge].

Any mustad 8/0 2x jig hook would be a good idea of what I want to tie on.  Theyre similar  to or the same hooks that come on many of the big bucktail manufactures- jecks, tinman, andrus, baggs, etc.  On the small end, would be little 22 daiichis or tiemcos.  Looking for a vice with enough oomph for the big ones but a fine enough jaw for the small ones. 

 

Rather than buy a bunch if gadgets or vices, would rather just have 1 that can grab everything.

Share this post


Link to post
Share on other sites

Posted (edited) · Report post

51 mins ago, gorkmonster said:

I'm pretty sure the lirs comes in a larger size as well.  The ones I tried fits the standard smaller peak rotary.

That's true. The Peak Jurassic Vises (2 types I believe) can take larger sized LIRS. I have the standard PRV-G2, so I'm looking for an option to allow it to handle larger saltwater hooks. I may have to give them a call to confirm that the PRV-LIRS is able to do this by specifying hook brands, sizes, and diameters. My son has asked me to tie some trailers on his rear surf plug hooks, and those are single Mustad hooks (34007) up to 7/0.

 

ETA: Just went to the Bear's Den website and found photos of the PRVLIRS holding a TMC 811S in a size 4/0. That's close enough for my uses, but to be sure, I'll call them just to be sure after I put calipers on some of the hooks I plan to use.

Edited by South Shore Fly
Additional Info Added

Share this post


Link to post
Share on other sites

When I tried the LIRS the hooks had no lateral stability.  I could apply pressure vertically without movement, but maintaining tension in a full circle was impossible without the hook moving.  I would definetly call them before you buy.

Share this post


Link to post
Share on other sites

Posted (edited) · Report post

Regal's will do down to 18 and will hold onto larger hooks with standard jaws. 

I have personally never tied anything larger than a 4/0.

I don't tie anything smaller than 16 drys and 18 nymphs anymore, my vision is going.   But the jaws will hold onto them. 

I just buy smaller ones from someone in the club.

 

I kinda think you're asking too much.

Edited by Concretepanda

Share this post


Link to post
Share on other sites

Just spoke with the folks at Peak. I'm going with the PRVLIRS-HD for my larger-hook SW streamers. I like the base vise, and I'm sure that the hooks I want to use will be stable in the solid platform the Peak provides. I also would rather not purchase a specialty vise for SW if I can add on to what I have. With the accommodated wire gauge dimensions, the LIRS add-on appears to be able seat large hooks.

Share this post


Link to post
Share on other sites

I have a Renzetti Traveler, and I've chucked a 9/0 in it no problem, here's the story.  Sorry, no pics but here you go, there are two screws on the head, one to adjust the jaws to the wire size and another at the bottom to tighten them up.  If you replace the adjustment screw closest to the end of the jaws to a longer size you can adjust them to hold a larger wire diameter.  Then tension as usual with the lower screw.  Sorry, I don't have size for the screw or threads, but it's not that hard to find.  

Share this post


Link to post
Share on other sites
32 mins ago, Oakman said:

I have a Renzetti Traveler, and I've chucked a 9/0 in it no problem, here's the story.  Sorry, no pics but here you go, there are two screws on the head, one to adjust the jaws to the wire size and another at the bottom to tighten them up.  If you replace the adjustment screw closest to the end of the jaws to a longer size you can adjust them to hold a larger wire diameter.  Then tension as usual with the lower screw.  Sorry, I don't have size for the screw or threads, but it's not that hard to find.  

 

 As my dad would say,  " now that's using your noggin "

 

 

 

Share this post


Link to post
Share on other sites
3 hours ago, Oakman said:

I have a Renzetti Traveler, and I've chucked a 9/0 in it no problem, here's the story.  Sorry, no pics but here you go, there are two screws on the head, one to adjust the jaws to the wire size and another at the bottom to tighten them up.  If you replace the adjustment screw closest to the end of the jaws to a longer size you can adjust them to hold a larger wire diameter.  Then tension as usual with the lower screw.  Sorry, I don't have size for the screw or threads, but it's not that hard to find.  

Seems like a solid solution.  How well does the vise hold a 9/0 in place?  Issue with my peak is that even though I can fit an 8/0, the hook tends to move around a lot, as the jaws and little lever really arent up to the job of holding the hook in place very well.  

Share this post


Link to post
Share on other sites
On 1/22/2021 at 11:39 AM, Concretepanda said:

Regal's will do down to 18 and will hold onto larger hooks with standard jaws. 

I have personally never tied anything larger than a 4/0.

I don't tie anything smaller than 16 drys and 18 nymphs anymore, my vision is going.   But the jaws will hold onto them. 

I just buy smaller ones from someone in the club.

 

I kinda think you're asking too much.

I really like the design of the regal vises.  I'll have to look more into what they're capable of on the upper end.

Share this post


Link to post
Share on other sites
1 hour ago, gorkmonster said:

Seems like a solid solution.  How well does the vise hold a 9/0 in place?  Issue with my peak is that even though I can fit an 8/0, the hook tends to move around a lot, as the jaws and little lever really arent up to the job of holding the hook in place very well.  

The vise holds the 9/0 at tight as I needed to tie a big ass flatwing, I think it's going to depend on your finger strength and how tight you can get the tensioning screw.  I'm a carpenter and work with a lot of hand tools so not a problem for me, if you're an accountant it might be a bit more difficult to get the tension you need.

Share this post


Link to post
Share on other sites

Create an account or sign in to comment

You need to register here in order to participate.

Create an account

Sign up for a new account in our community. It's easy!


Register a new account

Sign in

Already have an account? Sign in here.


Sign In Now

  • Recently Browsing   0 members

    No registered users viewing this page.