nfnDrum

Daiwa Labrax

Rate this topic

33 posts in this topic

Posted (edited) · Report post

Chinese rods what can i say. They are not bad. Cant stand the price point on imported rods but the builds are nice. It annoys me that i cant get a Gloomis this strait each time i buy one. Loomis please step it up. I could do without the packaging, although it is well done. Pass along the savings to the buyer, The rod sock is nice.  What ever Chinese factory making all these rods they are doing a good job. I'm sure the markup on them would make me vomit. I would like to see this as a Daiwa US rod. I want to buy the casting version but i don't want to risk 2 rods without US support if their is a defect. 

 

 

File_001 (1).jpeg

File_000 (5).jpeg

File_002 (1).jpeg

Edited by nfnDrum

Share this post


Link to post
Share on other sites

I have a couple of Daiwa and Shimano highend seabass rods like your Labrax AGS and loved them all! Extremely fast and sensitive rods. Cast extremely light stuff up to 2oz really well if not best. Below is my Morethan Branzino AGS 11ft Heavy I just got. It's currently paired with the Certate LT 5K and my favorite!20201218_183052.jpg.3667522d672aaabbbd8307f710073c66.jpg

20201218_183042.jpg.79fef7ee048d9ced935cb5961581616d.jpg

20201218_183110.jpg.1caf9a580a251bebda542200f4a84903.jpg

Share this post


Link to post
Share on other sites

Was always interested in these rods but really don't want to import 200-400 rods from over seas.


Daiwa does have something similar in the US market called the SALTIST® LIGHT ACTION SURF RODS. The 9M and 9ML looked promising. at first the were called the West Coast Surf Rod or something silly. Only tackewarehouse seems to carry them online.

 

Actually just looked it up again on the Daiwa website just now and they are gone from their site as of this week. They did a re-design, hopefully didn't drop the line.

Share this post


Link to post
Share on other sites

Posted (edited) · Report post

Lol sadly US companies wont do R&D or invest into making stuff here.  To make it here costs them way too much in labor. And it wont cover or line their pockets enough.

 

Other countries and companies will do R&D and produce great products for lower prices.  So its inevitably the US in a few years will be left behind in the dust.  We already see if comparing US goods to overseas stuff.  

 

Worlds apart.  Just look at the finishings on your labrax or the morethan rods.  It looks spectacular.

 

Edited by ooeric

Share this post


Link to post
Share on other sites

Posted (edited) · Report post

42 mins ago, faithless said:

Was always interested in these rods but really don't want to import 200-400 rods from over seas.


Daiwa does have something similar in the US market called the SALTIST® LIGHT ACTION SURF RODS. The 9M and 9ML looked promising. at first the were called the West Coast Surf Rod or something silly. Only tackewarehouse seems to carry them online.

 

Actually just looked it up again on the Daiwa website just now and they are gone from their site as of this week. They did a re-design, hopefully didn't drop the line.

I would not be surprised if the Saltist and Labrax are the same rods, They have very similar specs, not identical though. I wanted the AGS Guides, I hoped the Labrax blank is a step up for the price. I would have gone with the Saltist if it had AGS. 

 

The site appears to be new ... maybe the link was down.

 

https://daiwa.us/collections/rods/products/saltist-inshore-light-action-surf-rods

Edited by nfnDrum

Share this post


Link to post
Share on other sites
3 hours ago, StripedBasstardz said:

Yes. It's made in Japan.

Is it jdm made in China or jdm made in Japan. 

Not too many sticks rolled in Japan. Steez ags are China 

Share this post


Link to post
Share on other sites
3 hours ago, ooeric said:

Lol sadly US companies wont do R&D or invest into making stuff here.  To make it here costs them way too much in labor. And it wont cover or line their pockets enough.

 

Other countries and companies will do R&D and produce great products for lower prices.  So its inevitably the US in a few years will be left behind in the dust.  We already see if comparing US goods to overseas stuff.  

 

Worlds apart.  Just look at the finishings on your labrax or the morethan rods.  It looks spectacular.

 

Where is the pre preg coming from? 

Share this post


Link to post
Share on other sites
19 mins ago, scoobydoo said:

Is it jdm made in China or jdm made in Japan. 

Not too many sticks rolled in Japan. Steez ags are China 

 

It better be legit JDM for a $1.5k stick haha.. Hate to dig up mine since it's "locked" away but this is one of the other models. 

20210120_182211.jpg.e3c7b72c4ae16061731a04001b34f1e9.jpg

Share this post


Link to post
Share on other sites
20 mins ago, scoobydoo said:

Where is the pre preg coming from? 

Go take a trip to china and see for yourself.

I can tell you for a fact. In sheer volume, it aint coming from the states.

 

Good or bad quality.  No company in the US can match Asia's output of products.

 

Try comparing JDM Luvias and a second batch china made Luvias.  Literally the same.

Share this post


Link to post
Share on other sites
56 mins ago, ooeric said:

Go take a trip to china and see for yourself.

I can tell you for a fact. In sheer volume, it aint coming from the states.

 

Good or bad quality.  No company in the US can match Asia's output of products.

 

Try comparing JDM Luvias and a second batch china made Luvias.  Literally the same.

Exactly and at the same time, not quite my point, and won't likely be going to china until 2022 at the earliest.

 

My point was mainly to do with the limited number of suppliers of base materials rod makers use to make rods.  

Share this post


Link to post
Share on other sites
1 hour ago, StripedBasstardz said:

 

It better be legit JDM for a $1.5k stick haha.. Hate to dig up mine since it's "locked" away but this is one of the other models. 

20210120_182211.jpg.e3c7b72c4ae16061731a04001b34f1e9.jpg

15 hundo?

I remember looking at them  a few years ago and they topped out at half that???????

Kinda wish I bought it over the tailwalks.

Share this post


Link to post
Share on other sites

Posted (edited) · Report post

3 mins ago, scoobydoo said:

15 hundo?

I remember looking at them  a few years ago and they topped out at half that???????

Kinda wish I bought it over the tailwalks.

These highend JDM sticks just kept going up for some reason..

Edited by StripedBasstardz

Share this post


Link to post
Share on other sites
22 mins ago, StripedBasstardz said:

These highend JDM sticks just kept going up for some reason..

That's what I'm not understanding.  They're still well under a g.  Unless this is a special edition or somethin.  <90k jpy 

Share this post


Link to post
Share on other sites

Create an account or sign in to comment

You need to register here in order to participate.

Create an account

Sign up for a new account in our community. It's easy!


Register a new account

Sign in

Already have an account? Sign in here.


Sign In Now

  • Recently Browsing   0 members

    No registered users viewing this page.