Mono for surf?

Rate this topic

FISH BUCKET

On 1/20/2021 at 9:25 PM, FISH BUCKET said:

That is what is so cool about the surf.........you never know what you’ll get.......

have a lexa 400 that i am going to remove level wind and run 17lb with 40 or 50lb shocker.

seems like a shocker is way to go.

Don't do that to a Lexa.

Just get a Fathom 12 or 15. They have ipt in the 30in to 32in area, which is plenty fast enough.

6 hours ago, animalbarrie said:

You don't use braid for a shock leader.  The point of a shock leader is to manage the "shock" of the weight through the cast.  Run mono for a shock leader...

That braid is going to snap, get shredded by fish with teeth, and will get tangled up with your actual rig. 

:laugh: I love the obviousness of this comment and that statement.

Nice!

Braid shock leaders are fine.. you try snapping 80lb on a cast.  Your rod will explode before it snaps.

Its not there absorb any shock either.

On the contrary braid gains more power on cast because it transfers more to the rod.

Its just heavier line to manage the payload your mainline cant handle.

So if FB wants to use 17 to a 80lb braid.  To keep similar line and knot size. Thats fine.  6 to 10 wraps on spool. Its no problem.

Works especially well with smaller guide layouts or spinners.

i use 2/3 rule for trading. join date, posts, or vouch. whoever has less goes first.

(*member formerly known as 'ooeric')

31 mins ago, ooeric said:

Braid shock leaders are fine.. you try snapping 80lb on a cast.  Your rod will explode before it snaps.

Its not there absorb any shock either.

On the contrary braid gains more power on cast because it transfers more to the rod.

Its just heavier line to manage the payload your mainline cant handle.

So if FB wants to use 17 to a 80lb braid.  To keep similar line and knot size. Thats fine.  6 to 10 wraps on spool. Its no problem.

Works especially well with smaller guide layouts or spinners.

I am thinking of the 40lb braid shocker the OP mentioned.

Personally, I appreciate the abrasion resistance I gain from heavier mono. But, on sandy beaches it is not a issue.

Edited by Beastly Backlash

39 mins ago, FISH BUCKET said:

Lexa 400 has 43 ipt.......what comparable round reels are faster?

Ahhhh! You have the 400XS.

I was going to say that there are plenty of conventionals that do just as fast or faster then the Lexa 400HS. I didn't think you were rolling with the 400XS.

Regardless, shop around, plenty of conventionals that do around 40ipt. 3ipt extra is a spit in the bucket all things considered.

But, if you simply need those couple extra inches the Fathom 25N does 42ipt. Penn determines ipt based off the max and min ipt, so techincally you are more then 42ipt the closer you are to full spool.

Edited by Beastly Backlash

Removing the disengaging levelwind on a low profile will not improve casting distance very much.  It is all the moving parts on a synchronous levelwind (idler, worm, carriage, etc.) that really reduce casting distance.  But, disengaging levelwinds usually have a smaller eye to get the knot through.

If you take time to center the carriage before casting, disengaging levelwind is even better.

-steve

Edited by oc1

This advise is directed at Fish Bucket as I know him personally, his tackle and abilities. The 40 braid will work fine for you as a shock , try a FG knot to go thru the level wind. I use straight 40 on my canal outfit and hit up to 7oz jigs as hard as I can and don’t snap the 40. 

I just use a spool of 50# braid for surf casting. I guess it might be overkill but I don’t see how that’s a problem...

No need for a shock leader, extra thickness over low test braid offers abrasion resistance (reeled in my P.B. on a very thin remaining strand), one less failure point of FG knot, and I lose almost 0 lures - I just wrap the line around a stick and pull if it gets stuck. Usually it just straightens the hook.

Downside is reduction in casting distance, and in current it’s pulled a little faster. I’m less than the same thickness as 20lb mono though so I don’t think I’m losing much for the above.

I’m not that experienced though, but am I missing something?